Events...Accuracy vs. Policy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Events...Accuracy vs. Policy

Post by Faust »

There has not once been a dispute from me that the current events are era accurate benny... my only dispute is that you are trying to base your argument off era accuracy WHEN you cannot recreate era accuracy under ANY circumstance to begin with for the events. How many times does this have to be reiterated for you to understand it? Why would anyone in their right mind argue era inaccuracy for one system swap to another when that system won't be era accurate to begin with no matter what type of approach you take for it? Do you not see the contradiction here son? Trying to say "OH HEY THIS ISN'T ERA ACCURATE AT ALL BUT... THIS IS ERA ACCURATE!" even though it's not.. is just... plain stupid. The system won't be 'era accurate' under any conditions that are put in place no matter what happens.

I have stated many times that the current system for events isn't era accurate, but have reiterated many times on top of that no matter what system is in place it STILL won't be era accurate since it's not possible one way or the other. This is the reason that the issue falls into policy since it cannot be replicated much like the other policies that exist here. This isn't to say that the CURRENT event system is right following a 't2a theme'. I have admitted many times that it doesn't and proclaimed my dislike for the events even more. I just think it's stupid when someone lobbies era accuracy for a system that won't be era accurate no matter what in the end. However, there is no reason that you or anyone for that matter can't argue against the the policy decisions behind the events to have more of a 't2a theme' to them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It is a big part of our focus for this shard to add more mechanically correct content, there was a whole in game quest system that is currently lacking on UOSA that was present on OSI. Adding mechanically correct mechanics that is missing is a high priority for us. I enjoyed reading the thoughts on the last page of this thread, but I must admit I wasn't able to review the entire thread.

I've posted elsewhere on the topic of these events and don't wish to rehash that position. We certainly have more work to do though.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

benny-

Post by benny- »

Faust, did you read my post? I clearly acknowledged that events cannot be made accurate in the sense that you describe it. However no system to routinely hold events ever existed during the era, thus a mechanical inaccuracy. I'm not advocating a different system or different events, I stated that having a custom system to generate events is inaccurate, thus there should be no system here.

Read through before replying, Son.

Regardless, great to see that the staff here are working on providing more accurate content....I'll be glad to see that in the place of automated games.
- Elisud

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

benny- wrote:Read through before replying, Son.
That's what you call a faust shut down, son.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Umm, not even close son... because his post was actually read and not once did I tell him that he didn't say it was era accurate this time around. I was simply reiterating my same past comments about how this entire thread was about him using era accuracy as an argument from the start and nothing more. Trying to argue era accuracy for a situation that will not be era accurate no matter what is just plain out stupid. If you want to argue against the policy go right ahead. My post was merely a reiteration of my participation in this thread and did not accuse him of using the same tactics in his last past.

benny- wrote:I stated that having a custom system to generate events is inaccurate, thus there should be no system here.
Again, the system will be inaccurate no matter what as you acknlowedged and it really wouldn't matter either way since it's going to be inaccurate anyway, right?

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Automated events is a symptom. They are here because there are not enough industrious players putting on events themselves, and because they are here, nobody feels the need to step up to the task of creating an event that people will go to.

Yes, there have been player-run events on this shard, but one-off, rare ones are not keeping people interested. You need consistency, something people can reliably attend at reasonably spaced occurrences. Start small. Do weekly lotteries, competitions or dungeon crawls. Get bigger. Do bi-weekly tournaments, world treasure hunts. Stop thinking about monster events that take months to plan and happen in an hour, and start making every time you log in a little more interesting than the last. Only then will the need and outcry for automated events be relieved.

This is a world and you live in it. Living happens every time you log-in, and if nothing is happening when you log-in, life sucks.

Dr. Octagonecologyst

Post by Dr. Octagonecologyst »

Faust wrote:Umm, not even close son... because his post was actually read and not once did I tell him that he didn't say it was era accurate this time around. I was simply reiterating my same past comments about how this entire thread was about him using era accuracy as an argument from the start and nothing more. Trying to argue era accuracy for a situation that will not be era accurate no matter what is just plain out stupid. If you want to argue against the policy go right ahead. My post was merely a reiteration of my participation in this thread and did not accuse him of using the same tactics in his last past.

benny- wrote:I stated that having a custom system to generate events is inaccurate, thus there should be no system here.
Again, the system will be inaccurate no matter what as you acknlowedged and it really wouldn't matter either way since it's going to be inaccurate anyway, right?
You got served son.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

ok, accepting that complete era accuracy is impossible, wouldn't you say not having an automated event system would be more accurate than having one?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Debate the policy all you want marm. I have pointed out my position on numerous times here and it was stated one too many in this thread alone.

The current process or setup of the events is something that doesn't interest me.

The events should be a part of the actual in game world and it would be more 't2a like' or even 'uo like' in my opinoin.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

t2aeyey is the word your looking for.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]