Re: Meditation

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Guide to Meditation, the art of mana regeneration, by Xena Dragon [source]

Mana regeneration rate

Casting spells and scribing scrolls costs mana. If your mana level is lower than your Intelligence your mana will slowly raise until the mana level is equal to your intelligence again. The speed at which your mana goes back to full is called the regeneration rate. The regeneration rate varies depending on 3 variables:
  • the type of armor you are wearing
  • your intelligence
  • your meditation skill
To have mana regenerate at the highest possible speed you need to wear a certain combination of armor (or no armor at all), a high intelligence and a high meditation skill.
Meditation

Meditation is a skill that is used by all characters that cast spells or scribe scrolls. There are two types of meditation, passive and active.

Passive meditation
Passive meditation kicks in when your mana level drops below maximum. The automatic process of gaining back lost mana is called passive meditation. You do not have to do anything to let this happen. The limits of passive meditation are as follows:
The slowest possible passive regeneration speed of 1 mana point regained every 7 seconds applies to characters dressed in full plate armor or characters with 0 intelligence and 0 meditation skill.
The highest possible passive regeneration speed of 1 mana point regained every second applies to characters dressed in cloth (or nothing) with 100 intelligence and 100 meditation skill.
Between those minimum and maximum rate a gliding scale is used to determine the regeneration rate depending on armor, intelligence and meditation skill.

Active meditation
Active meditation is a skill that has to be started by clicking on the skill in the skill list or by use of a programmable macro key (UseSkill Meditation). Upon invocation the system will make a skill check. If the skill check passes then a sound effect can be heard and you will start to meditate. The following messages can be given:
  • "Your hands must be free to cast spells or meditate". You have something other than a spellbook in your hands.
  • "You are at peace". Your mana level is already at its maximum.
  • "You cannot focus your concentration". The skill check failed.
  • "Regenerative forces cannot penetrate your armor". The skill check passed, but you are wearing too much armor to meditate actively.
  • "You enter a meditative trance". The skill check passed and you start to meditate actively.
  • "You stop meditating". You performed an action while meditating or you reached full mana. Active meditation stops.
The active mana regeneration rate is double that of the passive regeneration rate, taking into consideration the armor worn, your intelligence and your meditation skill. The maximum possible regeneration rate is 2 mana points per second. While meditating you cannot perform any action, not even speaking. If an action is performed then a message "You stop meditating" is given and active meditation stops. Mana regeneration rate then drops back to the passive meditation level.

Gaining meditation skill
Like any other skill, meditation can be trained. You gain skill by using the skill or you can buy your first skill points in meditation from a wandering mage or mage guildmaster. From 0 to 12 points meditation will raise very fast. Whether you succeed or fail in the skill, you will still gain. From 12 points onward it becomes a little harder. The chance of successful meditation is directly linked to your mana level. When your skill is low you will only succeed in meditation if your mana level has dropped a little under maximum. The higher your meditation skill gets, the lower you can let your mana drop and still be able to meditate. This is what most people refer to as 'a difficulty based skill'. To actually gain skill you have to meditate when it is hard for you to succeed in the skill. Someone with 80 meditation skill will succesfully meditate if he dropped 10 mana points below maximum, but he will not gain skill, the meditation attempt was too easy for that. To gain skill he would have to let his mana level drop much more before starting to meditate. To calculate at which mana level you should start to meditate for a high chance of skill increase use the following formula:

Mana level percentage for high chance of skill gain = 100 - meditation skill
So at 80 meditation skill you would need to let your mana level drop to 20% of it's maximum to gain skill while meditating. You can let it drop 10% more than that, but then you wil most probably fail to meditate. The 'sweet spot' where you can gain skill seems to be between mana levels from (90 - meditation skill) to (120 - meditation skill).

Wearing armor
The failure or success of active meditation is influenced by the type of armor that you wear. To make sure you can use active meditation try to keep the AR of your armor low and use as little metal armor as possible. Wearing any metal armor seems to drastically slow down the regeneration rate, even if you manage to meditate actively. Some examples of outfits that give up to 17 AR and allow you to meditate actively are:
  • Magic Ringmail sleeves (AR 3)
  • Chainmail leggings (AR 3)
  • Chainmail tunic (AR 7)
  • Leather tunic, Leather sleeves, Studded leggings, Studded gloves, Sandals, Robe (AR 13)
  • Leather tunic, Leather sleeves, Studded leggings, Leather gorget, Sandals, Robe (AR 13)
  • Leather tunic, Studded sleeves, Leather leggings, Leather gorget, Studded gloves, Sandals, Robe (AR 14)
  • Magic Leather tunic, Leather gloves, Ringmail leggings (AR 17)
Some examples of outfits that have a low AR but will not allow you to meditate actively are:
  • Any outfit with a Studded tunic (because of the metal on the tunic perhaps)
  • Chain tunic, Magic ringmail sleeves (AR 10)
  • Chain tunic, Chain leggings (AR 10)
Further notes and tips
  • Meditating while hidden will unhide you. Hiding while meditating will make you lose focus.
  • You cannot meditate if you are drunk.
  • Casting the protection spell upon yourself will increase your AR but will not have any influence on your ability to meditate.

XaN

Re: Guide : Meditation

Post by XaN »

I had to put 8000 = 8 second, delay at the end of mine. Is there a reason other than it's a cinch, to put it at 5000? The skill takes 10 seconds or so to reuse.

im stuck at 62.1
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!

mynameis

Post by mynameis »

stuck at 62....and now stuck at 65.0 ...hmm problem?

XaN

Post by XaN »

I paged a GM and he said at about 60's is when you should just start casting... the lower your mana the more points in med you'll get
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!

Slaine
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Slaine »

Spamnrice wrote:lol, overkill on the info....
Not at all. For an expert in the game reading this, then yes perhaps. But for someone just starting out, it will be immensely informative and helpful.

An Excellent guide guys!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

What about "Your body is weak but your mind is strong"

Or whatever the message is.

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

I used a Magic Wizard Hat to get to about 62-63 but I had to actively use the Meditation skill since I don't believe you can gain passively anymore.

After that I just set the meditate portion of my magery gaining macro to roughly whatever % was an appropriate attempt for skill gain. GM'd meditate well before anything else.

MORTIMER

Post by MORTIMER »

Amazing meditation script using mana drain (FOR RAZOR):

Copy/paste into notepad, save into the "macros" folder in your razor folder:

!Loop
Assistant.Macros.WaitForStatAction|1|1|71|3600
Assistant.Macros.MacroCastSpellAction|31
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1059|
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.7000000
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|1|0|65
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1044106|
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|you cannot focus your concentration.
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1044106|
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

I saw someone yesterday with a macro where they would walk into the healer in Brit, attack him, get guard whacked, walk out, back inside in 2 minutes, get rez'd, meditate, rinse, repeat

Whatever floats your boat I guess :D

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Seems like the magic hat trick for meditation only gets med to about 62.
Here's a great trick to gain meditation past 62.

Go and buy 20 bottles of alcohol (make sure they are the same kind, they are only 7gp ea) and set a macro like this.

Dbl Click alcohol
Wait for Target (make sure to edit the timeout to 1)
Target Self
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
Use skill Meditation
Wait 10s
loop

When you're drunk, your mana deteriorates rather fast. When your meditation is up high, you need to be at a lower % mana to gain the skill.

I just gained from 62 to 93 in about 3 hours.

Murder

Post by Murder »

those are retarded ways to macro it

I r razor god.

use Skill meditation
If mana > = 100
Restock agent (you regs) a few dependsing how low you trying to get your mana (in my case 3 bp and ns)
Cast spell E-bolt
wait for target (edit time out to 10 secs)
target self
pause 1.00 sec
Cast spell E-bolt
target self
pause 1.00 sec
Cast spell E-bolt
target self
pause 1.00 sec

That way you will onyl cast at full mana.

And even if you fail to med it will keep on meditating.

if u use use skill meditation
pause 10 secs. u always run the chance to fail

and if you are fully meditated. and waiting for useless
meditation
pause 10.00 seconds
meditation
pause 10.00 seconds
Your wasting time.

also i have 60 Med this is why mine is set up this way. If you are under 60 Med your macro should look like this.

use Skill meditation
If mana > = 100
Restock agent (you regs) a few dependsing how low you trying to get your mana (in my case 3 bp and ns)
Cast spell E-bolt
target self

26-69 meditation in a few hours and rapidly gaining.

My way iz rox

KTHNXBYE

<Panthor> your flirting with a dude
lol

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I put in "if" conditionals
such as...
if mana <=(I put in a number equal or slightly higher then my meditation skill level minus intelligence not dropping below 30)
Use skill meditation
wait ten seconds
Else

then I add two more waits:

wait for mana >=45 (you can put it higher but it will raise naturally, you want fast magery gains, usually you have it slightly higher to the previous mana level you added earlier, but raise it as your meditation increases)
wait for hits >= 45

then I put the e-bolt macro in

Do this after you pull off your hat trick...
You won't be meditating all the time you'll be casting more then anything, but you really don't need to...way before you GM by using flamestrike you will have GMed meditation. The more you cast E-bolt to get high enough skill to almost never fizzle is when you will see meditation take off.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

People, don't waste money flamestriking/ebolting yourself to raise meditation. Instead of casting make scrolls with inscription and as long as you are using 2 reg scrolls you can sell them back and make a profit. I would recommend, if you have the free stat points, raising inscription while you go. If you are just starting out you can train meditation and Inscription up to 50 to catch up with magery, and then use all the excess money you made while scribing to train Magery up a bit then see-saw magery/inscription along with meditation and GM all 3 and have tons of excess cash left over.

Edited due to it being a giant run on wall of text. That's what I get for typing at work.
Last edited by Thesbus on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

How is meditating during casting to raise magery wasting gold?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

Because you are spending money on regs just to raise meditation, when you could be making money scribing spells and get the same effect...Hell even if you are going to drop inscription after you GM Magery/Meditation you will still have made anywhere in the vacinity of 100k gold profit off of inscription after buying regs for Magery.

But, if you want to just spend money casting flamestrike on yourself to get the same effect..far be it for me to stop you.