Best way to get up and running on a new mage character?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Reyhan

Best way to get up and running on a new mage character?

Post by Reyhan »

Hello All

I am new to UO T2A and Freeshards

My goal is to create a pvp mage. Was just curious if anyone had advice on how to get up and running on this character. There isn't much to macro since I wont have gold to buy regs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I can start by macroing for stats and work my way from there? What are the best skills used to raise STR and INT? Arms lore and eval int?

Thanks!

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Best way to get up and running on a new mage character?

Post by Kraarug »

Reyhan wrote:Hello All

I am new to UO T2A and Freeshards

My goal is to create a pvp mage. Was just curious if anyone had advice on how to get up and running on this character. There isn't much to macro since I wont have gold to buy regs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I can start by macroing for stats and work my way from there? What are the best skills used to raise STR and INT? Arms lore and eval int?

Thanks!
Hearding for str
Camping for str int.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I could foresee two routes.

First would be to make a bard, 50 Magery, 49 Resist, 1 Music. Raise your stats and macro Provocation for a couple days to get near-GM. Then go out and earn a lot of cash and transfer it to your PvP character.

The other way would be if you just want one character and want to build it up on its own.

In this case, I'd begin with 50 Magery, 50 Healing. Spend a few days macroing stats, plus Hiding and Anatomy. Buy a weapon skill and tactics up to 30. Then go out around Britain and whack stuff. The Brit graveyard is nice, though the PK threat is high.

Once you get around 10k in the bank, I'd look into buying some reagents and a couple runes and a silver weapon and heading to Deceit to beat on stuff. It will quickly take you to say 60k gold, at which point you can buy and place a house and use that as a base of operations for training (macroing healing and Magery safely, etc).

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

I'd do 50 resist, 49 magery if going that route. Magery is much easier to gain than resist.

Start the char with 10 str 10 dex 60 int.

Be sure and have some means of being able to buy regs.... and that's all you really need.
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Start with magery, it is much easier to gain resist (below 55 skill anyway). I would not even pick resist as a starting skill, it takes minutes and a few regs to get past 50.

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Start with magery, it is much easier to gain resist (below 55 skill anyway). I would not even pick resist as a starting skill, it takes minutes and a few regs to get past 50.
I stand corrected!
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Set up a razor macro after purchasing a magic hat at the mage shop for 10 gp.

Record yourself putting the hat on use the skill meditation pause 10 secs take it off and put it back in your pack and loop it.
This will get you to Meditation of about 62 I believe. This will help hasten your magery training.

Three Temps I recommend beyond your typical Bard marge (provoke and music) or Tank Mage(weapon skill and tactics) just to add flavour.

All three of these will have the following Base Skills.

Evaluating Intelligence, Magery,Wrestling,Resist, Meditation

Theif Mage

Choose your last two skills as snooping and steal. A mage tends to have a hard time killing anyone unless you pull the plug on their power. Stealing Regs,Bandages, recall runes etc leaves your opponent at a disadvantage. Its a good temp if you are hunting in high PVP/PK areas with one or two other people. Make sure to let them attack you first though as you dont want to be dropped from the theives guild.(unless they are flagged grey or red)

The Assasin Mage

Choose Hiding and Stealth as your last two skills in order to take oppurtunity shots at your target(s). This is a good PK temp
but also a good defensive temp which allows you to move away from alot of conflict using teleport/hide teleport/invisible and stealthing off to meditate.

The Tamer Mage
Alot of people think Tamers are pushovers apart from their pets. Although Vet maybe good to have until you reach higher levels of taming (maybe Vet of about 70 balanced with the other base skills that were mentioned earlier then lower vet as taming and lore increase then raise the other 5 to GM. Even with Vet at 70 the rest can be at 90 so its not too much of an offset) . Once you can push taming past 92 and tame the higher end pets you can drop vet altogether and have the 5 base skills including Animal lore and Taming at GM. Making a Pure Mage Tamer.

I can give you other temps that are more special ops but these are primarily good PVM/PVP based temps that are not your common cookie cutter options as noted previously.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

Thanks for the replies guys

I was reading something about waiting to do Eval Int until after I train magery and resist...is this true?

I hope to see you in game =)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think higher eval=higher resist
Some people say that the more skill points you have the harder it is to gain. I dont know if thats a wives tale or not.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Open two accounts (your pvp mage on one, dexxer on other), then farm low level mobs with dexxer, u can also do level 1 tmaps, and feed the gold to your mage (and macro magery.) You can keep a constant supply of regs to your mage without having to break macros.

Once you get your magery up enough, start farmin with your mage, and say goodbye dexxer.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Resist gains are unrelated to Eval skill level of the caster. However, as Eval goes up, so does the damage and thus the cost of healing the damage :-) So that's why you should wait to raise it until after you finish training Resist.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

I like to start mages off 50 magery 49 inscription 1 anything you want newbie items from (newbie lockpicks, instruments, whatever).

Then see saw magery and inscription in 10 point intervals making 2 reagent scrolls that you have a high succcess rate on (Lightning, Ebolt, Invis, Flamestrike in that order) until you stop getting gains on them and selling them to vendors. Make sure to join the mage guild when you have 500g to spare and save 10% off your purchases. Doing this will easily pay for your magery to GM, probably buy you your first small house, and give you a nice gold cushion in case of disasters. Plus you will save thousands of gold making your own full spell books (I sell them for 6k a pop easily and I think I am towards the lower end of cost on the server), recall scrolls for your none mage characters, and runebooks.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

Here is a rough outline of what my inscription macro looks like,

If Mana <= ...*
Use Skill Meditate
Wait for mana >= 100 (or max int)
Else
Restock Agent 1
Target Self**
Use Skill Inscription
Target by type (blank scroll)
Pause .15 sec
Menu Selection
Pause .15 sec
Menu Selection
pause 10 sec
Organize Agent 1***
pause .15

* When you first start a character you will want to set your macro to use meditation with this formula (Max Int - Meditation Skill=Mana pool when meditating) ie. with 100 int and 80.0 skill you should me meditating at a max of 20 mana for optimum meditation skill gain...of course never set your if mana <= anything less then the cost of the spell you are trying to inscribe. If you are scribing ebolts which cost 35 mana you wouldn't want to set it below 34 otherwise you are going to waste time passively meditating and being unable to cast due to mana restrictions...Hope that was confusing enough.

**or target a box if you are macroing in a house...target self only for bank macroing.

***You don't want hundreds of scribed flamestrike scrolls on you or someone is going to kill you, take them, sell them, and profit. So as you finish them either put them in the bank, or in a secure in your house.

By the time you get to scribing FS scrolls you will have GMed Magery and Med and you should have made quite a large sum of gold

JoshuaLee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by JoshuaLee »

I think it's always best when starting out to make a warrior first to have some kind of base. You never know when you might use your warrior, and it can be a very easy way of farming the gold you need to buy enough regs to macro up your pvp mage. That's what I did anyways. I started with a char with 50 lumberjacking and 50 carpentry, made wooden shields and made around 1-1.5k a run. Did that for a little bit and used the gold to buy bandies, around 10k or so. Then just macroed up a warrior, then went and looked for some cheap silver weapons and farmed liches.
Against all odds.WAR US
UOSA Music Video #6: The AMPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfLoFkTtEEs
TDC Theme: Joshua Lee's Revenge
http://vimeo.com/7530389

Return to “New Player Help”