The E-bolt and Halberd Theory

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: The E-bolt and Halberd Theory

Post by Faust »

Weapon cycles was probably more notable than the double hit exploit. However, it has painfully become obvious to me over the 10 years that I have been in the pre:uor shard scene that some shards had no clue that this tactic even existed. Shards like Baja(my home shard), Catskills, obviously the Japanese on Asuka, and even some in Chessy knew about this tactic.

The first shard that tried re-creating this game mechanic was Novus Opiate. However, the shard ran into problems forgetting key elements to the tactic. The "swing delay" should only elapse while your character is not moving. This replicates the "phenomenon" that was perceived from the past that traditionally thought spell casting had everything to do with it. Originally the inception of the trick was that casting spells refreshed your combat delay. For example, when your character would stop to cast an energy bolt after the target cursor came up your character would be ready for a hally swing always. Harm was another great measurement tool for a weapon cycle. Casting two harm spells back to back would allow you to have a swing ready too. This was just a huge coincidence based on the delays used at that time period from swapping to the wrestling delay after unequipping your hally. A good friend of mine by the name of Jiggo/Jiggles from the c2w and FU Chessy guilds on IPY and Div has a very good post about the misconception among this game mechanic.

Jiggo wrote: Ok, so lets go over some gameplay facts, and observations about the era:

I agree (and I think we all can) that the spirit of t2a would be lost if you could fully swing while moving. Tank mages could not refresh their hally while running full speed (this would not be a good thing, especially for dexers. 2s swing hallies on the run? I think not). You could also not endlessly dodge someones attacks to avoid losing your swing, while still getting your 2s hally swings. You had to stop moving to refresh your hally, and thats why many people assumed that the only way to refresh your hally, was to cast a 6th circle spell. It froze you in place for the 2 seconds required to refresh, thus, it was assumed that the spell caused the refresh. Years later, the spell refreshing the swing has been debunked.

Also, the patch that killed this tactic was the UOR publish when tank mages were abolished. The disarm delay in modern UO works exactly the way it did during the t2a era. When you unequip a weapon the delay shifts straight to the wrestling delay. However, the only key difference between both systems is the removal of insta hit many years before. The equip delay only occurs when you have an active delay during the t2a era. Insta hit worked by allowing you to swing instantly when you had a swing ready. The modern equip delay works exactly the same way it did before the implementation of insta hit. When you equip a weapon the weapon delay is automatically forced. This means a hally for example sitting at 5 seconds theoretically would be forced to wait out at all times after equipping it. The equip delay worked entirely differently during the t2a era and only forced the reset of the delay when there was already an active delay.

That is the main difference between t2a and now in Ultima Online.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Im not 100% sure what you two are arguing about, but heres my 2 cents.

Yes the wrestling thing is the reason why the halberd would attack fast. I think we all know that, at elast 90% of us did back in the day on Catskills.

As for running up and attacking last to restart your opponents delay, this was also popular back in the day. I actually can show you a youtube video or two of duels back in the day where you see people spamming tab, most notably Garnet Crow vs energy vortex, you can see them both spamming tab and attack last to get their opponents delay restarted.

I dont know if thats what this arguments about but I just read 4 pages and from what I understand One person is arguing that we should keep it the way it is and the other doesnt? The way this shards tank mage duels/mechanics are, seems pretty accurate to the old days. Then again, its been almost 9 years since Ive played so of course my memory is rusty.

Bottom line, Faust, Krag, in one sentence is it change one of you wants or what? Im still not seeing whose wanting what :P
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The system that is currently on UOSA is as you descibe since May. This thread is kind of old.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."