The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

Diesel
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

Post by Diesel »

I figured I'd post this because It might come in handy for someone I'm sure.

Wine is an Open Source project that allows Linux users to run windows programs on top of XWindows and Linux.

Below is a link on how to run UO on a Linux based PC. Further testing and documentation is still being gathered but I thought this was kinda neat:

Source Webpage: http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/linux.shtml

Downloading and Installing Wine

To start, download Wine for your distribution. Wine distribution is managed on SourceForge. The Wine download page lists all of the packages that are available including binary packages for a wide variety of distributions. The source is also available if you want to download and compile Wine, but that is beyond the scope of this article.

The Fedora releases are with the RedHat packages. At the time of writing, the latest release was 20040121. The RPM used is wine-20040121-1fc1winehq.athlon.rpm. Note there are several architecture specific releases for each distribution (the 'athlon' part). Download the correct one for your specific CPU. If in doubt, download the 'i386' version.

Another very useful package is the Winesetuptk application. It makes the initial creation of the wine configuration file very easy. The RPM (winesetuptk-0-72.i586.rpm) is found in the Support Packages section.

The Wine installation is now as easy as installing these RPMs. This will have to done as the root user:

# rpm -Uvh wine-20040121-1fc1winehq.athlon.rpm
# rpm -Uvh winesetuptk-0-72.i586.rpm

Configuring Wine

Configuring Wine can be done with the winesetuptk application. This should be run as a regular (non-root) user. As a user run (you should be in XWindows at this point):

$ winesetuptk

The defaults should work for just about everybody. Check all of the categories and configuration parameters to ensure you are happy with the default value. There are a couple important things to note:

* If you change the location of the config file from the default, you will also have to tell wine where to find it.
* Ensure the 'C Drive' and the tmp drive are both on local drives (i.e. avoid putting it on an NFS mount)
* Ensure the CDROM drive points to the correct mount point for your CDROM drive (this is usually /mnt/cdrom)

When you are satisfied with the configuration values select "Finish" to exit and write out your configuration file.
Installing UO in Wine

Installing UO into Wine is simply a matter of running the installation program. Insert the UO CD into your CDROM drive and make sure the CDROM is mounted (I used the Age Of Shadows CDROM).

Run the installation program. This can be done with either of the following commands (if you have your CDROM mounted elsewhere or mapped differently in wine you will have to adjust these commands):

$ wine /mnt/cdrom/Setup2D.exe
or
$ wine "D:\Setup2D.exe"

NOTE: Normally we would run Install.exe. However, it doesn't work in Wine (feel free to try it and see if you get better results than I did). Running the Setup2D.exe program ultimately installs the 2D client.

At this point in the installation I came across my first real problem. As it turns out, there is an issue with a kernel feature in Fedora Core 1 that affects Wine. If you came across an error message about a "security-patched kernel" please see the Prelink Issue Workaround below. If you are fortunate enough to avoid this issue, continue on.

Install UO as you normally would on windows. I have assumed all of the defaults for the UO install.

You'll notice during the installation process that there are a few odd visual artifacts that shouldn't be there. For example, the "Total Installation" label runs over the CDROM image as well as the progress bar. I'm not sure if there is a way to improve on this. It's not that important at this point, but when we get to the patcher we will see some more issues like this.

When prompted with the "re-install DirectX 8.1" dialog click "No"

The "Create Account" button opens the web browser, which doesn't work, and I suspect you already have an account created.

When prompted with "Run UO: AOS" or "Exit Installer" you can do either. Running AOS will start the initial patch process, which will be done the first time you run UO. You probably want to actually see UO at this point, so hit the "Run UO: AOS" button and continue with the First Launch.
First Launch

The first time you run UO the patch process will startup. Notice that you will start out with the old-style (plain text) message window. Continue as you would normally.

At some point the new patch window will open up. Now we see a few more of those 'visual artifacts' mentioned previously. I believe this window uses the MSIE browser functionality that's built into windows. Wine doesn't have this, so you'll get a text version of the Patch Message instead.

Once the patching is finished the "OK" button will become enabled. Click it to get past the patch window and startup UO.
After First Launch

To Run UO in the future, use the following command:

$ wine "C:\Program Files\Ultima Online 2D\UO.exe"

The file "uo.exe" is not actually the game client. It takes care of running the patch program and then launching the client. If you run uo.exe you will notice a little "untitled window" hangs around when you are playing. This is the "uo.exe" application. If you want to get rid of this window, and you know that UO is all patched up, you can start UO using this command:

wine "C:\Program Files\Ultima Online 2D\client.exe"

Enjoy UO on Linux

Hopefully these instructions will be enough to allow you to enjoy UO on Linux. If you have any problems or interesting things to report please feel free to send me an email to hugo at its dot to.
Prelink Issue

The actual error message for this issue is:

err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program (0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
wine: could not load L"C:\\Program Files\\Ultima Online 2D\\client.exe" as Win32 binary

More information about this issue is available on the Codeweavers forum. There seems to be a number of possible workarounds for this issue, but I have had mixed results with most of them.

The workaround I have the most success with is by executing the following commands (as root):

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield # echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield-randomize

This fix has to be done after every reboot. You can either do it manually every time you boot into Linux, or put it in a startup script. Hopefully a better solution will present itself soon.

Once you have dealt with this issue you can continue with the install.
Here are the 4 stages of Life
1) You believe in Santa
2) You don't believe in Santa
3) You ARE Santa
4) You LOOK like Santa

johttenn

Re: The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

Post by johttenn »

I play on second age through wine with razor.

The easiest way was to install the Mondain's Legacy client download...no need to patch at all. The wine setup utility installed through apt configured everything correctly the first time.

To get razor working through wine, which is MUCH faster than vm, is to simply install dotnet20 with winetricks...just download winetricks, then run it as a shell script with dotnet20 after it.

Boom, you are up and running in 20 minutes including install time. No need for cedega, vm, and no reason to give up macroing programs.

p.s., the wine I used was that installed through apt on Debian Lenny.

p.p.s., don't connect to ea servers and patch, just use wine to run UOrice and set the client path in razor to the No_crypt_2D.exe, and the directory to the correct wine c drive, for example: .wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/EA\ Games/Ultima\ Online/ or whatever it is.
Last edited by johttenn on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

man i wish i knew what yall were talkin about lol

Diesel
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Diesel »

See....was useful after all :D
Here are the 4 stages of Life
1) You believe in Santa
2) You don't believe in Santa
3) You ARE Santa
4) You LOOK like Santa

Keathus

Post by Keathus »

Nice Thread! This will be stickied. Thanks Diesel!
Lord Keathus
Second Age Staff
Forum Administrator

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Very nice, this has always been one of the reason for me not to switch to Linux... now i have no excuse. Maybe I'll get rid of this crappy vista thing.

Keathus

Post by Keathus »

Maahes wrote:Very nice, this has always been one of the reason for me not to switch to Linux... now i have no excuse. Maybe I'll get rid of this crappy vista thing.

Im with you on that :D I can't stand vista.
Lord Keathus
Second Age Staff
Forum Administrator

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

Wow, great post, thanks. I am having one problem with this though, it does not allow me to input the port in Razor and wont load a client for UOSA. anyone run into this problem? Also, I think this maybe be Ubuntu related.

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

have you installed the dotnet20 framework with winetricks? If so, you will have to manually set client and uo directory paths.

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

I edited my login.cfg to point to UOSA, and I can use the 2d no crypt exe to login to UOSA, but I still cannot get razor to start a client because of the port input box remaining grey. How can I trick razor to load from the login.cfg? or can I load razor after I already start the 2d no crypt?

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

use razor to call the no_crypt, set the client path to it in the screen where you first run razor, the global settings

there is an option to not show the screen again, if you checked that, i'm not sure how you would get it back, maybe reinstall razor, it'll take just a second

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

I am not having a problem with getting that initial razor screen up. that is where I cannot input the port info, it is staying greyed out when i put in the server info...there is a thread started on the runuo forums here: http://www.runuo.com/forums/razor-cutti ... rable.html. do you think it is my Ubuntu kernel? I am on 2.6.24.20, what is the kernel you use on your Debian?

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

Blacula on the runuo forums has given a work around for this! I will quote him here:
I had that problem too, then I figured out a solution

Do this:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/
wine regedit.exe

Then change the registry key for Razor (I forgot where) that says "last server", just edit the string
to your server of choice, and exit and start Razor with wine as usual. It will blank the field and port
so you can put in whatever you like (which made me very happy.) *claps*

P.s.: This is with the latest wine from source (1.1x) and Fluxbuntu, but everything should be the same across the board.
For me, I found the "LastPort" and "LastServer" in the registry editor under: HKEY_USERS > S-1-5-4 > Software > Razor

This worked perfectly for me. Finally it is possible to run Razor through wine. I will hafta see what kind of bugs I run into now, I heard that the hotkey function does not work well, which could be a bummer.
There is now no excuse to not move fully over to linux.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Nice. Congratulations on getting that working. I love Linux, it's a far superior operating system, but only if you have the time.

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

This worked perfectly for me. Finally it is possible to run Razor through wine. I will hafta see what kind of bugs I run into now, I heard that the hotkey function does not work well, which could be a bummer.
There is now no excuse to not move fully over to linux.

Using a similar kernel, glad you figured out the issue.

I have not had any problems with the hot keys so far. Post if you have problems.