Button Mashing = Death?

Moderator: Support Moderators

wyvern35
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Button Mashing = Death?

Post by wyvern35 »

I was traversing the dungeon of Wrong tonight when I was confronted by a pk. Now being as this is my bard mage and hardly equipped to fight I tried to recall out. I was hit and interrupted and thus panicked and just mashed my recall hotkey. Well when the target window came up I started clicking frantically on my recall rune and nothing happened. I must have clicked a dozen times before I was finally killed and promptly looted. My question is: Is there some sort of glitch or intended aspect of programming that does not encourage mashing the button over and over again? I know I clicked the rune (as compared to accidentally clicking and dragging it) so I can only assume this is an intended feature of this shard? I remember the actual game allowing for this but I figured I would ask the community... see if anyone could shed some light on this so that next time I will carefully only cast once

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Button Mashing = Death?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Make a recall macro that casts recall to a specific rune that you change regularly as all characters will try to target that specific rune without actually having it.

Also sometimes the location is blocked.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

alatar

Post by alatar »

There is a delay in the cursor you are holding and it actually targeting the item you selected.. If you repeatedly click the cursor over & over, it won't have time to target as the delay will reset and try to target again.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

wyvern35 wrote:I was traversing the dungeon of Wrong tonight when I was confronted by a pk. Now being as this is my bard mage and hardly equipped to fight I tried to recall out. I was hit and interrupted and thus panicked and just mashed my recall hotkey. Well when the target window came up I started clicking frantically on my recall rune and nothing happened. I must have clicked a dozen times before I was finally killed and promptly looted. My question is: Is there some sort of glitch or intended aspect of programming that does not encourage mashing the button over and over again? I know I clicked the rune (as compared to accidentally clicking and dragging it) so I can only assume this is an intended feature of this shard? I remember the actual game allowing for this but I figured I would ask the community... see if anyone could shed some light on this so that next time I will carefully only cast once
What is your Magery level? I typically make a hotkey for Recall. If my magery can cast it 100% of the time, I'll make a hotkey like F1 assigned to Cast Spell: Recall. If I cannot, I'll use Razor to set it to use a Recall scroll.

In any case... make sure you always have Magic Reflection up whenever possible. If you do, you should have no problem recalling at the sight of a red. Just hit your F1, relax and wait for the cursor, and target your rune. Remember, once the target comes up, YOU ARE SAFE. To my knowledge, they cannot disrupt the spell once the target is up.

Also helpful is having 100 Wrestling (so, at best, their weapon only hits you 50% of the time, if you are slow to cast Recall), and 100 Hiding (if, say, you didn't have Reflect up because a Gazer brought it down while you were barding) so you can run away. Hiding is always the first skill I macro for every character, it's amazing for escapes. Also, always ride a horse if you can. If you're on foot against a PK on a horse, you will never escape by running away (obviously). Horse-vs-horse, you will escape most of the time if you're smart. You only need to be 8 tiles away, I think, to hide from an aggressor.

Lastly, there's always the Teleport-Hide move. Teleport takes less casting time than Recall, so it's harder to interrupt. Cast Teleport, and you can teleport a short distance away. Hit a Hiding hotkey right as you target your teleport spot, and you'll arrive there hidden. Now the PK has to cast Reveal to find you, or throw a purple potion. Either way, you should be able to recall from there successfully. Just make sure you tab OUT of war mode when hidden, so you don't autodefend if the PK gets close.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

I Will share my tips with you, being a UO BARD for many many years I have come up with a almost fool proof way of escapeing!! I encounter at least 2 - 3 PKs a day let I havent been killed successfully in months (aside from last night when I was killed in my house)

To avoid qued spells, or targets in Razor this is how you should set up your macro (if you feel comfertable with carrying around a runebook)

Equip your Runebook in your Right hand

Run Razor and record this sequince of events

----------------------------------

Double click absolute target (your runebook in hand)
Wait for Gump
Click gump target X (X=your recall safe spot)

------------------------------------------

I always remove the Wait for Gump after recoding, my escape macro is 2 lines long and I use F12 as my hot key, spaming this will recall you safely as long as you can successfuly cast recall, & you wont get taget que's, wont have to click (which risks misclicking) etc. this macro will open your runebook and recall simple as that, I have escaped 2v1's where the PKers were litteraly on top of me with this macro and I have NEVER had it stall out, the worst thing that happens is if you spam it to much the next time you open your runebook you will recall to your safespot :lol: which IMO is not a bad deal.

P.S ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have Magic Reflection active, this safes lives.
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

If you use a runebook while you're out, always have it open.

Hiding, as has been stated before, helps. Hide the moment you see another player. Most of the time blue players are actually PKs that don't work their counts past 4 but it'll be pretty obvious that they have malicious intentions right away.

After you hide, hit the blue recall button if you don't simply do it right away. Duh.

If you're using an individual rune then the Razor macro should be obvious.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

you shouldnt even need a macro, just a recall hot key. as long as you dont panic you should be fine. panic = death 95% of the time.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Lol Wise is a GM escapee!
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Wise, why does the runebook have to be in your hand?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

alatar wrote:There is a delay in the cursor you are holding and it actually targeting the item you selected.. If you repeatedly click the cursor over & over, it won't have time to target as the delay will reset and try to target again.
Indeed. This is a feature of the client not the shard. It's basicly allows you to change your mind after clicking something, or even reposition the target cursor a split second after clicking.

While designed to make the interface more user firendly, the situation you were in is one of the drawbacks.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Return to “New Player Help”