New player here! How are yas?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Gone Fishing

New player here! How are yas?

Post by Gone Fishing »

Hey, it has been a long time since I have played UO. When I did play, I played as a fisherman!
As far as I know magery is good to backup fishing with. My questions are,
as a fisher what skills do I need?
how many skills can I GM?
how much is a boat?
where do I get one?
best place to raise fishing at?
any guilds out there looking for a new member?

Unlimited Bladeworks

Re: New player here! How are yas?

Post by Unlimited Bladeworks »

Gone Fishing wrote:Hey, it has been a long time since I have played UO. When I did play, I played as a fisherman!
as a fisher what skills do I need? All you need is skill in fishing to be a fisherman. You might want archery/tactics to kill serpents. Some people like having hiding. I prefer eval int/magery/med

how many skills can I GM? 7 GM skills - 700 skill points total

how much is a boat? small boat 10,177gp

where do I get one? From a Provisioner at a Provisions shop.

best place to raise fishing at? You have to fish off the coast until you gain 80 fishing. Then you can head out on a boat to the deep sea to gm fishing.

any guilds out there looking for a new member? If you interested in roleplaying then check out my guild. http://roleplayersunited-uo.webs.com/
Guild Forum: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewforum.php?f=57

Here's my fisherman's current skills:

89 fishing
100 eval int
90 magery
100 meditation
100 inscription

I haven't decided what else I want.

I bring my gm archer on my other account when I go deep sea fishing.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

as a fisher what skills do I need?
Fishing is the only mandatory skill you need for the profession, however being able to kill sea serpents and other monsters at sea without needing a bodyguard is recommended. Archery or Magery is best, but you can manage comfortably with swords/macing/fencing (just watch your health).
how many skills can I GM?
700 skill point cap. You can GM up to 7 skills.
how much is a boat?
Small boats are about 10.3k, medium boats about 12k, and large about 13.5k. Small is all you need (and it's easier to manage with regards to docking and moving around obstacles).
where do I get one?
Either at a provisioners shop, or at an anchormans shop. Anchorman shops are usually near a towns docks.
best place to raise fishing at?
Shore from 0-70, deep-sea fishing afterwords (fishing anywhere 12 tiles away from shore). You CAN GM fishing from shore and thereby avert danger (and macro unattended legally), but it'll take longer. Hiding or Invisibility is recommended while fishing to avoid PK's, thieves, and possible monster pulls.

At 90 fishing at up, from deep sea, you will have the chance of pulling up a Treasure Map (level 1 only from what I've seen) or a fishing net. On the side, both make for a nice flow of income. At GM (and only at GM) fishing you will be able to pull up Message in a Bottle, or MiB. Pop those open and use a sextant to sail towards the location of the coordinates listed. Once you're there, fish over the side of the boat to pull up various shipwreck items like bone, barrels, paintings, etc. Eventually you'll pull up the treasure chest.

Level 1 chests: Disappointing. 1k gold, few gems, few spell scrolls few magic items (weak ones too), few reagents.
Level 2 chests: Nice. 2k gold, nice abundance of everything above (with luck, the wands might give you some serious profit).
Level 3 chests: Loaded with 3k gold and a huge abundance of gems, scrolls, reagents, and magical items (high-end modifiers being possible here). Hope for that +25 Silver/Vanq Hally and not a shepherds crook.

Have fun.

Gone Fishing

Post by Gone Fishing »

Thank you for the replies. Anyone have a macro for fishing that they would be so kind as to give to me?

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Go to the docks, record, double click a spot to fish. When it's done, execute last action and click another spot, and another, and another, and maybe one more if you can. Stop recording, and after every "Absolutetarget" input a pause of 8500 (8.5 seconds), check loop, and play.

Might want to be hidden while doing it or include the macro to say "guards" for possible macro PK's or water monsters.

(funny enough, a LOT of people seem tot hink I'm a super n00b for making my GM fisher as a warrior and not a mage).

christyw744

Post by christyw744 »

Hey Gone Fishing,

I am new a player as well. Though I have never played this game, do you have any suggestions on a startup for me? Like what player to chose and things like that?

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

I might be wrong about the Maps/Nets. I'm deep-sea fishing right now attempting to hit GM, at 94.7 at the moment, I've pulled up about 20 Sea Serpents, but no maps or nets.

(EDIT: Take it back, just got my first map.)

Return to “New Player Help”