What is unattended resource gathering?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: What is unattended resource gathering?

Post by Duke Jones »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote: The main thing that bothers me about the unattended reg buying is showing up a second after the AFKer just bought em all from the mage shops forcing me to either wait or go buy them in bulk from his vendor at a higher cost.
I agree. Buying regs for purposes of your own inscription, alchemy, and/or magery skill is one thing.
Hording materials from the rest of the players on the servers throughout the world simply to put them on your own vendor for a higher price is just...

Inconsiderate, Greedy, Selfish, Antisocial, and general Douchebaggery.

I was at a charity auction at a Con once. There was one guy who proceeded to outbid and win EVERY item at the auction. I assumed he was an eBayer or something. By the time the auction was finished, everyone wanted to beat that guy down for being such a jack-ass.

Same thing going on here. Selfishly hording goods for the public to line your own pocket.

*sigh*

Art imitating life? Or Life imitating art?
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There are 30 mages, 31 alchemists in game, respawning at 30 minutes.

At the lowest stock levels of 20 items, that's 2440 of each reg per hour.
To buy these regs out, that's 15k gold per hour, or 360k/day

Stock however doubles when bought out, I'm not gong to get into all the math of it, but buying out just one vendor shop with 999 or each reg is going to cost about 3.5k, buying out all the shops at full stock would cost 210k/hr

This is just not sustainable. By suspicion is that this is only a problem at the more populated shops.

The comparison I made to afk buying and blacksmithy is in that you are turning one thing into another, gold into regs, or ingots into weapons. It's not the creation of something from nothing.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Derrick wrote:There are 30 mages, 31 alchemists in game, respawning at 30 minutes.

At the lowest stock levels of 20 items, that's 2440 of each reg per hour.
To buy these regs out, that's 15k gold per hour, or 360k/day

Stock however doubles when bought out, I'm not gong to get into all the math of it, but buying out just one vendor shop with 999 or each reg is going to cost about 3.5k, buying out all the shops at full stock would cost 210k/hr

This is just not sustainable. By suspicion is that this is only a problem at the more populated shops.

The comparison I made to afk buying and blacksmithy is in that you are turning one thing into another, gold into regs, or ingots into weapons. It's not the creation of something from nothing.
That is a good point, that does not seem sustainable. For one person.
My only other question is how does that work when a handful of philanthropists like to make their rounds every day to stock their vendors? Is this still an issue? Do you know of any situations where is has been a problem fr NPCs to keep their stock of any length of time?
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I think that likely there are times during the day that it's nearly impossible to get regs in Brit or Moonglow, but I don't at all consider that a bad thing. It's a big world, might as well have some reason to travel.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Well if this is going to be treated like it doesn't have much of an effect on the shard, then what about the flipside of that? What if it was made illegal to AFK buy regs? Who is that going to affect?

Question: Would I be able to have a AFK lockpicking macro that allowed me to teleport around to multiple chests and pick them, harvesting whatever treasures are within? Is that legal?

Unlimited Bladeworks

Post by Unlimited Bladeworks »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:Well if this is going to be treated like it doesn't have much of an effect on the shard, then what about the flipside of that? What if it was made illegal to AFK buy regs? Who is that going to affect?

Question: Would I be able to have a AFK lockpicking macro that allowed me to teleport around to multiple chests and pick them, harvesting whatever treasures are within? Is that legal?
I don't see why not. You aren't adversely affecting the game play or the server's economy by doing so.