Patching problem

Kael
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Patching problem

Post by Kael »

Hello, after DF failed epically I decided I wanted to go back to the tried and true T2A age of UO. I downloaded the Client installer that comes with the 5.0.8.3 patch, and did a full install of UO fine. However when I try to run patch5.0.8.3.exe I get the error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I'm using WinXP x64 and am already logged in as Administrator so I don't believe that is the problem. I've also tried redownloading the installer, and running the patch from both my desktop and a 2nd hard drive but still get the same error. After searching the forums I wasn't able to find anyone else with this problem.

Almost forgot, I've also tried running the UO patcher in the UO install directory, but I'm having troubles figuring out when it's patching 5.0.8.3. The buttons on the autopatcher stay greyed out, so to stop it I had to kill the process. Then when I went to check which version it was up to with Razor, I was getting the clidoc and various other errors.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, thank you very much.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Re: Patching problem

Post by Batlin »

The problem is caused by the patcher not being 100% compatible with x64 Windows.

Solution 1: You can keep trying, eventually the patching will succeed, I think I had to try 15 times and on the last try I got no error and all worked well.

Solution 2: Uninstall and reinstall, and use uopatch.exe to patch up. When patching stops at client 4.0 you run client.exe once and then restart patching. When you see 5.0.8.3 appear in the list you cancel and never run uopatch.exe again.

Solution 3: Download Mondain's Legacy and use that one to play.

Succes
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Almost forgot, I've also tried running the UO patcher in the UO install directory, but I'm having troubles figuring out when it's patching 5.0.8.3. The buttons on the autopatcher stay greyed out, so to stop it I had to kill the process. Then when I went to check which version it was up to with Razor, I was getting the clidoc and various other errors.
The patcher will always patch to 4.0.x non-stop. After that it will close and you need to run client.exe. Why? Because uopatch.exe downloaded a new version for itself (uopatch.bin). It's the client that will copy uopatch.bin over uopatch.exe and then you can restart the patching process.

You can always kill uopatch.exe with the Windows Task Manager.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Kael
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kael »

Thank you very much for the help. After trying to run the included patch ~50 times I gave up and decided to use uopatch.exe. With your explanation I was able to get to and stop at 5.0.8.3 with no problems, so thanks again!