Newbie Questions

Moderator: Support Moderators

Epileptick

Newbie Questions

Post by Epileptick »

Hey guys :)

First off I have very limited knowledge of this game, as it's been about 8 years since I played. I was hoping for pretty much the same ruleset as this server has but with a trammel/felucca. I like to pvp but I don't like not being able to leave a city to lvl up to get at least a little money.

So here's my question:

1. How is a newb to survive? What should be my first build, and what should be my short term/long term goals?

2. I really want to make a mage but I was told my first character wouldn't afford the regs.....well that relaly blows for me lol. I had my heart set on a nox mage. But from the sounds of it....that isn't going to happen.

3. Is there any protection from PK'ers? Anything at all to at least allow me to lvl up to where I can hold my own?

I can't find another shard that has no option to "donate" for maxxed out characters and skills. I think that is PATHETIC. Why not just give everyone cheat codes!? I love some of the other shards but they either are too far into the era's, they don't have enough people, or they sell extremely hard to obtain items for less than a pack of smokes.

Also can anyone tell me how many people play this server?

Thanks guys :) I hope I can survive long enough to become a lot of your friends :)

Epileptick

venox

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by venox »

1. upto you
2. it is possible to start out with a mage, you will be scapping it for a little while.
i personally wouldnt let this discourage you for your 1st char.
poisoning doesnt affact magery here.
3. dont hunt in pk zones, there are plenty of places around.

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Epileptick wrote:Hey guys :)

First off I have very limited knowledge of this game, as it's been about 8 years since I played. I was hoping for pretty much the same ruleset as this server has but with a trammel/felucca. I like to pvp but I don't like not being able to leave a city to lvl up to get at least a little money.

So here's my question:

1. How is a newb to survive? What should be my first build, and what should be my short term/long term goals?
Travel light, always be ready to recall out in case of trouble, and carry a rune to a rune library to try different spots out. The build is really up to you, many like to have a provoker as their first character just because it won't take long until you can tackle the harder mobs. A warrior is also fairly cost effective at an early stage. You'll constantly be in need of bandages, but they're cheaper than regs.
Epileptick wrote:2. I really want to make a mage but I was told my first character wouldn't afford the regs.....well that relaly blows for me lol. I had my heart set on a nox mage. But from the sounds of it....that isn't going to happen.
I'd say just like venox and tell you to go for it. Don't let the cost discourage you. It'll be touch to get by in the beginning but can be worth it if you enjoy playing a mage.
Epileptick wrote:3. Is there any protection from PK'ers? Anything at all to at least allow me to lvl up to where I can hold my own?
Recall. That's it. Try to find some friendly people to go adventuring with together. Log on to UOSAs IRC channel to find companions and get general help if needed.
Epileptick wrote:I can't find another shard that has no option to "donate" for maxxed out characters and skills. I think that is PATHETIC. Why not just give everyone cheat codes!? I love some of the other shards but they either are too far into the era's, they don't have enough people, or they sell extremely hard to obtain items for less than a pack of smokes.

Also can anyone tell me how many people play this server?

Thanks guys :) I hope I can survive long enough to become a lot of your friends :)

Epileptick
I believe there usually are about 300-400 unique IPs logged onto the server.

Welcome to UOSA! ;)

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

Welcome to the server!

1) Get some friends or join a guild :D There is (relative) safety in numbers. Also make a recall hotkey and keep your finger close to it at all times. Deposit your loot frequently, don't hunt with loads of regs or GM armor/weps when you're new. The great thing about this era is the field brutality, you're never totally safe!

2) Nox mages are after the T2A era so if you made your mage with poisoning you should probably re-roll him with 50 magery and 50 resist. Mages are difficult to start with but that's to be expected with such a powerful class. I always farm with my mage. I just don't enjoy playing the provo bard, although I greatly enjoy hunting with a provo friend.

3) Only protection is in guarded towns. Risk vs reward, my friend! PM me here in the forums. I won't give away gold but I would be happy to take you hunting to train up your mage and make some money. One of my favorite past-times in UO was/is helping people out.

Epileptick

Post by Epileptick »

awesome! THanks for the posts guys :)

I think I"m going to go mage.

Maybe provo mage.

What would be an example of good building for those two? What builds to start off (short term goal) and long term goal)?

Leerix

Post by Leerix »

Epileptick wrote:awesome! THanks for the posts guys :)

I think I"m going to go mage.

Maybe provo mage.

What would be an example of good building for those two? What builds to start off (short term goal) and long term goal)?
100Str 25 Dex 100 Int
start with 50 mage/50 resist

Magery GM
Provo GM
Music GM
Resist GM
Meditation GM
Eval int GM
Hiding GM

Decent mage/bard build there, and the hiding is perfect for someone trying to stay away from pvp and pks.

Basically can macro gm music/provo/meditation/eval int/hiding all before you ever step foot out of town, also, if you roam kill in the world random world mobs you'll rarely ever see a pk, just stay outa dungeons until you've figured your char out/ practiced a bit.

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

That's a solid PvM template.

If you ever want to do PvP try this out on another character:

100str 25dex 100int

Magery GM
Meditation GM
Eval Int GM
Resist GM
Wrestling GM
Tactics GM
Weapon skill GM

This is the standard tank mage template that I use. I hunt with this template too just cause I know it and like it.

Return to “New Player Help”