THE GREAT DEBATE - Tankmage VS Dexxer -

Topics related to Second Age

Which have you enjoyed playing more throughout UO?

Tank-Mage
40%
Dexxer
41%
I enjoy both equally
19%

Total votes: 75

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

THE GREAT DEBATE - Tankmage VS Dexxer -

Post by Vlastslav »

The question of skill in UO at the most basic level comes down to what type of character you play, the tank mage or the dexxer. For the melee player, it has always been an uphill battle to persuade tank mages that your character does infact require quite a large capacity for skill, and game play tactics. This poll is not about which one you think is more skillful, but which you’ve enjoyed playing more throughout UO and UOSA.

Pro

Re: THE GREAT DEBATE - Tankmage VS Dexxer -

Post by Pro »

Dexxing just requires a general ability to take note of all your enemies actions and have a high level of awareness and a good ping for chasing.

Tank mage = the same with spells

np np np np dexxing is easier tho

Threadz

Post by Threadz »

While I typically played a mage as my main character throughout my days in Britannia, I always enjoyed soloing on a fully equiped dexer. That being said, it does not seem viable to play a dexer here because I can't hit anyone.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I played both in Era. First tank mages, I had 2 then after getting dropped in town with my o/c tank a few times by dexxers I started my town.

I had more fun with the dexxer, probably because it seemed most people underestimated them. It took a lot of timing and strategy if you didn't have high resist. With resist, however, it was very easy to take down a mage 1dv1m and survive all but any type sync dump from 2mv1d.

Fencing was my weapon choice because a fast DP kryss next to a mage meant death for the target. Between the fast melee interruptoins, the HP loss, the interrutpoin from the poison and the effect of poison on healing and HP loss there wasn't much chance for a mage to survive.....on OSI that is.

I have to say though, it is much much more expenseive to run a dexxer than a mage. Between the sets of armor, the multiple weapons, the cost of poisoning and all the potions you must carry along with bandages , a fully prepared dexxer easily out costs a bag of 50 regs, a death robe and a hally.

Mazer

Post by Mazer »

A class where you rely on coin flips to deal damage just isn't fun to me.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Mazer wrote:A class where you rely on coin flips to deal damage just isn't fun to me.
Clearly you are aware that mages have more coin flips. You have 50% to hit with your halby/katana, 50% to hit with your fists, and every damage spell you are rolling dice for damage calculations.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i loved playing a mage only when playing in groups or against other mage
i loved playing a dexxer in large dexer battles too
gotta love both
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

I always enjoyed dexxers. They are a lot of fun to play in large battles especially when you have other dexxers there to heal you. Perfect fit for the orcs :)

However, I still find tank mages fun and more versatile. I suppose I like the feeling of dropping a mage on my orc with no magery. Sure sometimes its several lucky warfork hits. But its just the same as their lucky explo-hally-whatever combo. Trying to time interupts at a dexxer is fun too.

Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Vlastslav wrote:Clearly you are aware that mages have more coin flips. You have 50% to hit with your halby/katana, 50% to hit with your fists, and every damage spell you are rolling dice for damage calculations.
Considering there is a dice roll every single time damage is dealt, you can't use that as an argument against any class. It isn't valid.

Mages do not use their weapon as their main (or only) means of an offensive attack. Compare how often a dexxer swings their weapon in a fight to how often a mage would swings a halberd/katana. When you throw in auto-defend, a competent dexxer will have no problem making the mage waste a lot of swings as well. I hope you can see the difference.

I'm going to delve into this any further since you asked for what class we enjoy playing more. I stand by comment,
Mazer wrote:A class where you rely on coin flips to deal damage just isn't fun to me.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Do you even play UOSA? Tankmages MAIN source of damage is def the halby.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

as a mage my hally does nothing i am always punchign the guy instead
my very very best combo ive actually got down to a science is corp por corp por corp por corp por corp por corp por
its awesome
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

BlackFoot wrote:as a mage my hally does nothing i am always punchign the guy instead
my very very best combo ive actually got down to a science is corp por corp por corp por corp por corp por corp por
its awesome
Can you teach me?

Anyways Tank Mage because you can teach a gay retarded monkey to play a dexxer, just spam attack nearest tagert and run towards everything that moves.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

All you dexxers are just stupid queer monkeys waiting to be pwnzored by my hallby and my eboltz lawl, your bandaids can never keep up with my leet sauce pwnahge.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

i enjoy playing a mage more but on osi drachenfels i had a 7x fencer poison dexer and didnt die once untill factions came out when i went blue again.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I've played full blown dexers, hally tanks, macer tanks, and medwarriors. I gotta say, the only thing it comes down to is being able to react faster and more efficiently than your opponent.

Mages base most of their wins on luck.
Dexers base most of their wins on luck.
Hybrids base most of their wins on luck.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins