The UOSA Community Development Council

Topics related to Second Age
The oOo

The UOSA Community Development Council

Post by The oOo »

This is not about changing game mechanics.
This is not about changing server policies.
This is not about seasons, loot or PK's

This is the next evolutionary step this shard needs to take.
This was the original intent of OSI's concept of an online world.

An experiment in Self-Governance within an imaginary world. Personally, I believe the experiment was then and is now a failure, simply because the test subjects [us!] refused to run the experiment the way they intended.

There are many players here that have stepped up over the years, dedicated countless hours and millions of gold in efforts to achieve "something" like "community" here. Although these efforts have mainly been done with the public in mind they have all been private enterprises. Privately funded, organized, operated and discontinued at the discretion of those same private parties.

Are there five shard veterans who would volunteer to work towards achieving these goals and get this idea off the ground?

UOSA Community Development Council

The UOSA Community Development Council is a representative body comprised of the citizenry of UOSA and tasked with improving in-game community relations, shard population and player retention as well as expanding UOSA’s online presence, marketing and exposure to potential new players on the internet.

The council will function within the boundaries of the shards Era Accuracy charter and all actions subsequent to the councils functions shall adhere to this fundamental precept regarding changes to game mechanics in achieving council objectives.

Whereas the server is owned and maintained by the staff, its community belongs to the players. Therefore it is the player-base’ responsibility to maintain its community in as forthright a manner as the staff maintain the server where it resides.

Council Members: [Core positions]
• Steward of the Citizen’s Council
• Steward of Community Development
• Steward of Community Marketing
• Steward of the Treasury
• Steward of the Citizen’s Police

Council Objectives [Critical needs]

Short-term Objectives;
• Recruitment for Core Council positions
• Definition of roles & areas of responsibility for Council members
• Define critical needs of the shard & community
• Define critical needs policies & short-term objectives
• Define funding ways & means of the Council Treasury [in-game]

Long-term Objectives; [Critical needs]
• Enhance player involvement & awareness within the in-game Community
• Increase the shards online marketing presence and exposure to potential new players
• Increase shard population & retention of existing and new players
• Establish and implement Economic controls & policies for balancing markets
• Establish and implement a funded Citizen’s Police force within the city’s boundaries
• Establish and implement an Honor Guard charged with securing the lands

Community Development
The Councils founding principle lies within the concept of enhancing “a sense of community”, creating an environment where players do not just “feel” like they belong but actually “want” to belong to and to be a part of the community.

Community Relations
Council objectives within the scope of community relations should encompass all segments of the population. Objectives should function with the framework of the existing player-base, rather than attempt to modify that framework. Solutions should be based upon existing structures with the game and expand upon the existing community-related aspects of the shard rather than attempt to replace them.

Community Marketing
The concept of a player-based Community Council in itself is a novel one and could be used as leverage in and of itself within a marketing campaign. UOSA has an extensive and colorful history to draw from in the form of past events and players/characters.

<NEXT>
Kaivan wrote:...To quote a recent statement from Derrick to myself on the issue of population: If players want more players, they should go find em. So, in this sense, yes, promotion of a server where the world is yours to interact with others in necessarily requires the player action. If players stand around bemoaning the lack of other players, expecting us to do something about it, the trends will continue as they currently have.
oOOoOoo Ooo Oo OOoOoo oOo

Capitalist

Re: The UOSA Community Development Council

Post by Capitalist »

Government and overall social organization is a genuine hindrance to my speculation, market manipulation, and general white collar criminal activities. This shall fail because I'll buy and lobby whoever supports it.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

Vega wrote:Government and overall social organization is a genuine hindrance to my speculation, market manipulation, and general white collar criminal activities. This shall fail because I'll buy and lobby whoever supports it.
Well, at least you grasp the concept Vega :) Ya can't have light without darkness...

and I hope it is, and I hope you do!!

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Vega wrote:Government and overall social organization is a genuine hindrance to my speculation, market manipulation, and general white collar criminal activities. This shall fail because I'll buy and lobby whoever supports it.
But you're quitting, so......

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Apocalypse wrote:
I have 2.5 months to take over the world.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

Apocalypse wrote:
I think he's saying that having an arch-nemesis in the form of a governing body would renew his interest and bring him back more determined than ever... :D

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

I think cA has most of the positions filled :lol:

Good idea... Just gotta find some dedicated people.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Jay

Post by Jay »

The oOo wrote: • Steward of Community Marketing

Long-term Objectives; [Critical needs]
• Increase the shards online marketing presence and exposure to potential new players
• Increase shard population & retention of existing and new players
^ Only thing really needed on this server now (thanks to recent gm events)

Is there anyone doing any type of marketing now? It would be a shame to waste all of the GM's/player efforts just because no one knows about it.

People will always quit, we need "always on" marketing. Now would be a great time to capitalize on recent GM ran events and slight increase in population activity.

If nothing becomes of this post (most likely the case) and you're afraid to post/have nothing to contribute, do yourself a favor and tell everyone and your mother (if shes hot have her pm me) about this server. We need new players starting every week, always.

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

Whoa....email notifications were on Jay!!

Interesting to read that you guys are doing 'something?' to keep the flame alive here on UO:SA

I didn't realize any of this old idea of mine was ever even considered as I quit right after posting it.

In hindsight, this place has turned out to be one of the nicest online communities I've encountered which was kind of the motivation behind the idea originally...the community here is worth saving, still, it appears.

Part of what I do is guerrilla-marketing for small businesses, outside-the-box ways of promoting things and creating online presence, and that was my intent originally.

Not having played in two years I can't comment on current increases/events other than to say good on ya!

I might come back....oOo!

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

DO IT
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

The oOo wrote:
Apocalypse wrote:
I think he's saying that having an arch-nemesis in the form of a governing body would renew his interest and bring him back more determined than ever... :D
Hehe...is that damned pirate Vega still around? I hate to give him credit but he was a big part of what made both the shard and the forums entertaining, at least the personality he represented. Someone of his ilk [a term of endearment here] should fill the role if not :)

Jay

Post by Jay »

yes i think she still plays. the population is on the rise but we need you're marketing ingenuity to pump a shot of adrenaline into this thing and really get it moving. events are pretty consistent and ongoing and there's been people out farming a lot as of late. (always a good sign)

Brules

Post by Brules »

In before the "do you have a permit" post by cA.

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

Jay wrote:yes i think she still plays. the population is on the rise but we need you're marketing ingenuity to pump a shot of adrenaline into this thing and really get it moving. events are pretty consistent and ongoing and there's been people out farming a lot as of late. (always a good sign)
ingenuity! ha! thats rich! It's nothing terribly difficult to do, no secret silver bullets but doing it for a game instead of a business would be rather interesting.

I'll be back after some thought here...

and permits? we don' need no steenking permits!

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I don't play. However, log in exceptions can be made for a good cause.