Disable Razor’s Mana and Stamina Over Other’s Head

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Disable Razor’s Mana and Stamina Over Other’s Head

Post by Kraarug »

I don’t know when this became a standard, I am unfamiliar with a client much past 1.26.4b but in T2A the only way to know another’s strength and intelligence was through Anatomy and Intel Eval. I don’t know if these skills actually told you the person’s stamina or mana levels in era… that I am not sure of.

I do know though that the status given by Razor is not era correct and, besides the calculation of damage bonuses, negates active use of Anatomy and Intel Eval skills.

Please disable the automatic ability of Razor to determine these stats on other players and make it where one must actively use the appropriate skill to collect this information.

Faust

Re: Disable Razor’s Mana and Stamina Over Other’s Head

Post by Faust »

Razor cannot be controlled server side without experiencing specific problems that Derrick would rather avoid. If you were to allow the server to control Razor through the scripts it would require the program to be used for connecting to the shard. There are many players that don't use Razor to connect to the shard currently. Having the server require Razor to communicate with it to disable non-t2a features that didn't exist during the era from client and 3rd party apps would be beneficial in my opinion. I understand that some people would be forced to use it, but the majority are already using it and it's not the worst case scenario to migrate too. We are already forced to get a specific client for obvious reasons at the moment. This situation isn't really that much different in my opinion.

Getting Razor to be forced to communicate with the server used to be impossible until recently.

PS
The only similar feature that existed at that time was the UOA mini bars that would show up below a mobile. It really wasn't something that was spectacular though.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Well, I would certainly favor requiring Razor if it meant restoring the proper use of Anatomy and Eval.

Forgive me for not knowing how the server, client and Razor interacts but I'm wondering if, from what I read about the fixes to Ghosts getting status check on the living, if there would be some way to prevent the data stream to the client unless the coroponding skill is in use.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The mobile(Ghost) is server side. Razor on the other hand is a 3rd party app on the client's side. RunUO developed the program to work with the RunUO emulation software that is the server itself. Razor sends packets to the server just like your client does. The only way you can block anything with Razor is if you correlate the server side script that is programmed into Razor to "obey" the server in a sense. However, this requires you to use Razor or you will be booted from the server upon login when it ID's that you're not using it. The client on the other hand doesn't have built in junk like Razor that would be considered "hacks" during this time period.