Trading in-game items for bitcoin or other virtual currencie

Topics related to Second Age
Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Trading in-game items for bitcoin or other virtual currencie

Post by Stuck »

I figure this might be allowed being that we can trade items for (virtual) items on other shards. Just curious, what's the official word on this?

Populus

Re: Trading in-game items for bitcoin or other virtual curre

Post by Populus »

It's no different from selling your items for USD.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

But cross shard trading is legal, so for example if you bought gold on another UO shard, and then traded that gold to a player here for uosa gold, that is actually legal.
At least thats what I have read/understood.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

montier

Post by montier »

I doubt that you are correct Menk. And I wouldn't do it.

If it were allowed it would open a loophole for getting around the rules. I really doubt Derrick wouldn't see the potential issues, with as careful methodical his actions generally are..

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

Why is cross-shard trading allowed here? If anyone can link to where that rule is posted, would be great so that we all can try to understand it. I don't understand how Derrick would view that different than selling for money.
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

doobs

Post by doobs »

"Soliciting anything on Second age for real currency, or in trade for items of tangible value/expense through the forums, be it public or private communication or in IRC or in-game is not allowed and will result in account termination if discovered."

That's from derricks post on the issue.

This question depends on if the shard administration considers bitcoin a "real currency".
Obviously a great number of people do in real life (bitcoin surpassed $1000 USD conversion rate), so it would not be far fetched to assume UOSA also believes bitcoin has tangible value.

Very recently both parties involved in a "real currency" transaction for UOSA virtual goods were banned from the shard.
I imagine our founding father was not interested in explaining which currencies are "real currency" because there are so many that exist, that's probably why Derrick added the "tangible value" clause. It is also evident in his next sentence in his thread on the matter:
"This is the only statement that will be made on this and further discussion is not encouraged."

If derrick chooses to answer this it would shed light on bitcoin transactions for UOSA but it would also set a precedent for him to explain if other things that may be considered currency are "real currency" in the future. So, TLDR play it safe and trade for UOSA goods with UOSA currency.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5204

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Im like 99% sure I read a post on cross shard trading.
Let me find it (expect an edit of this same post here in the very near future.)

Having trouble finding Derricks comments exactly, but they are here somwhere, it was back in 2009, someone asked and he posted about it I think. Obviously I may be wrong, but I think Im right, if you see this Derrick can ya clarify please?

Until then Ill keep looking, but heres a case where 1 is exactly what im speaking of, and another is similar.
A guy trading his wow stuff for uosa
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13212

A guy actually selling a uosa account for UOSA gold
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=37859
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Used Kotex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Used Kotex »

MEH. Let it go. Yer pixels have no value.

If you could x-shard, you could simply trade to somewhere that allows the sale of items for some form of RL currency.

Just face it. You've wasted your life for nothing.

Menkaure wrote:Im like 99% sure I read a post on cross shard trading.
Yeah, I'm still in DCT... So's yer sister !

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Used Kotex wrote:MEH. Let it go. Yer pixels have no value.

If you could x-shard, you could simply trade to somewhere that allows the sale of items for some form of RL currency.

Just face it. You've wasted your life for nothing.

Menkaure wrote:Im like 99% sure I read a post on cross shard trading.
Are you talking to me? I didn't ask the question about cross shard trading, the op isn't me. I was merely contributing to the conversation. I gave all my shit away when I left.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Retef

Post by Retef »

You can exchange goods from shard to shard. That is a common way to get your items off this shard on to a shard that doesn't have a policy regarding buying/selling items.

Derrick prefers that the related communication doesn't occur in IRC or the forums. He also won't help you out if you get scammed.

Bitcoin... I'll fight that battle another day.