Self Disrupt Correct, but Targeting fizzling while equipped?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Jaster

Re: Self Disrupt Correct, but Targeting fizzling while equipped?

Post by Jaster »

Even under autounequip, you would still explain to someone that a weapon is unequipped, when giving a detailed explanation.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Frankly, I think that if the weapon auto-unequipped, it would be more worthy of comment.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I recognize that this change kind of came out of the blue. It's honestly been an intended fix for a long long time, and the whole thing was held off pending settling the arm->disrupt thing. In my mind the two were one in the same, because the one was holding up the correction of the other. So an apology is due for catching everyone off guard, this should have been at least mentioned in days prior to it's implementation.

For a history of how far back this discussion goes, see this link:
http://forum.uosecondage.com/forum.uose ... 9787#p9787

It goes back further than this, but this is the only one I could find.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

I'm pretty sure that that settles it. Enough evidence for me. I disagree with the thought that in a guide of precasting one would include the step Disarm, if it was an automatic feature. That would only serve to confuse the reader.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

this patch is accurate except i believe the "fizzle effect" of the targeting spell with cursor up.

im just unsure about the "fizzle" of the spell after targeting precasted. i seem to remember it just locking cursor and giving the red message. more of a hassle and possibly death causing mis-fire of keys than blowing the spell completely. similar to what happens if you cast with weapon in hand.. nothing. just the red message.

i remember before i got uoa that i would need to hit the uo disarm macro / uo last target and it wouldnt fire because item use delay on my uo disarm. i had to hit the disarm macro a few times because of the delay to disarm while the faster uoa/uoe disarm / arm player quickly was able to. its what caused me to shell out the money for uoa.

i basically am doubting the fizzle for targeting. i think it should block the discharge but hold the cursor up.

the rest is correct it didnt disarm for you i am pretty sure.

its possible people might be remembering a fizzle from when they armed "during" the cast canceling the cast?

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

as a uo player in this era i remeber exactly how it worked and you did have to disarm.

the reason people get confused is because most combos people used they didnt accualy hold spells but instead cast explo eb then hally hit to sync all damages.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Malice,

The exact nature of the cause and effect was copied straight from the Demo for this mechanic. The message and the fizzle animation would occur when you tried targeting a spell with a weapon equipped. This was just another situation where the fizzle would occur like many other instances. A great example of this is the debuff on top of another debuff that causes it, magic reflect before mid-99 would cause it, and several other specific situations.

The only problem that I seen with the patch was the same exact situation occurring with the weapon equip to disrupt a spell. What happened in this situation was a disrupt action quite similar to the way spells are disrupted. It wouldn't do a fizzle animation in this instance because the spell sequence hasn't actually been successfully completed yet. I mentioned this to Derrick when the patch was first published and he may have already fixed it by now.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Another bit of evidence for the case:
http://www.uopowergamers.com/a-july01.shtml
It appears to be from July 2001 (based on the context of games, eg, neverwinter nights was not yet released).
The next update to TX6 will have some changes to *precasting*

1] You will no longer be able to arm a weapon durring the delay period of the spell.
2] You will be able to arm a weapon after the delay period (when you have the spell target cursor).
3] Targeting the spell will auto unequip your weapon (if you have one in your hand)

Like I said Im not sure when but on the next publish to tx6 these changes will be active. Enjoy and feedback is always welcome

Adrick - Designer - Ultima Online
Origin Systems Inc.
EA.COM

Like you thought they were going to leave it the way it was? Ya think?

Personally, I think this type of precasting adds a little bit of flava.
Not proof, but it does seem to indicate that precasting was changed from it's initial form.