Advice on crafting character templates

Moderator: Support Moderators

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Advice on crafting character templates

Post by Safir »

So I've been thinkin' about some future characters and their templates, but I need some imput to finish them, and perhaps change something, so all feedback is well appreciated.

#1, the Gatherer - 100str ???dex ???int
100 Luberjacking
100 Mining
100 Fishing
100 Hiding
100 Magery
100 ???
100 ???

I don't really have a few things down with this template yet, but seeing as this character would be travelling the lands and seas to gather resources for the other two characters below I'm wondering what stats I should be aiming for as well as what skills to fill the open slots with. This character probably won't fight much aside from some sea serpents and perhaps the occasional mob in the woods. So what's needed? Healing/anatomy? Eval int/meditation?

Also, if I remember correctly, boards weight less than logs, and all item craftable with logs are also craftable with boards, so do I need any skill to make logs into boards on this character?

#2, the Crafter - 100str ???dex ???int
100 Carpentry
100 Blacksmithy
100 Tailoring
100 Tinkering
100 Magery
100 Musicianship
100 Bowcfaft/Fletching

Anything I've missed on this character? What stats should I go for?

#3, the Scribe - 100str 25dex 100int
100 Inscription
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Poisoning
100 Alchemy
100 Cooking
100 Item ID

Same here, anything I've missed or havn't thought of?

So char #2 and #3 won't be doin' anything else than sittin' at my future house slavin' for me. #1 is the only one that will venture into the unknown world and would have the need to defend himself.

Also, what skills should be top priority to pick first when creating the characters?

Thank you for the help in advance!

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Advice on crafting character templates

Post by Safir »

bump...

Someone care to help out? ;)

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

I'll chime in cause I'm in the process of doing this. Granted tho I'm still fairly new so take my advice lightly.

#1, the Gatherer - 100str ???dex ???int
100 Luberjacking
100 Mining
100 Fishing
100 Hiding
100 Magery
100 ???
100 ???

I have anat/healing/hiding(50)/lumberjacking/mining/swords/tactics/magery(50) (was considering dropping hiding a bit more to be able to gate)

figured if I run into a mob I can just take em out with my swords. I am not going to gm magery, doesnt seem really necessary to gm magery in my view. I didnt see any reason to get more magery than enough to recall. my stats are going to be 100str/100dex/25int.

Also, if I remember correctly, boards weight less than logs, and all item craftable with logs are also craftable with boards, so do I need any skill to make logs into boards on this character?

you are correct boards weigh much less than logs dont know off the top of my head the difference but its something like 100-180 logs equals around 390 stones, yet 600-700 boards equals 390 stones. I'm not 100% sure if there is a skill check done when making logs into boards, but what I can say is that on my gatherer I have absolutely no carp and have never failed (leaving me to believe it doesnt check carp), and when I started I had 0 lumberjacking and as well never failed, leaving me to believe it doesnt to a skill check at all, but I could be wrong.

#2, the Crafter - 100str ???dex ???int
100 Carpentry
100 Blacksmithy
100 Tailoring
100 Tinkering
100 Magery
100 Musicianship
100 Bowcfaft/Fletching

this char doesnt make sense to me as I dont get why you have musicianship, I remember when I was first looking I saw that to be able to make all the house add ons you would need to have music to make instruments, but then I realized A. you can buy em very cheap at npcs B.there isnt much (if any) difference between a store bought instrument and a gm made one C.really? whos going to care where their instrument comes from, buy it from the npc. so free that up.

on my char I dont have bowcraft (just didnt want it) or music (previously explained). However for creating a good smith its my understanding that mining is almost necessary due to the smelting process which does a skill check on mining. So I have mining on there as well. then you could do whatever you want with the 7th, I personally have mining and lumberjacking (2 accts with resource gathering abilities, instead of 1 acct).

I also on my char just brough my magery up to 75-80 (I believe 75.9 or something close) is the minimum required to make the penta so again I see no reason to spend the money raising it the rest (unless you have that extra cash laying around).

Stats I would suggest 100str/100dex/25int. you wont really need int, and I've heard (could be way wrong) that some crafting skills check your dex, not sure why or what skills but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

#3, the Scribe - 100str 25dex 100int
100 Inscription
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Poisoning
100 Alchemy
100 Cooking
100 Item ID

shoots looks good to me :)

hope my noob answers help a little

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Kryptonical wrote:I have anat/healing/hiding(50)/lumberjacking/mining/swords/tactics/magery(50) (was considering dropping hiding a bit more to be able to gate)

figured if I run into a mob I can just take em out with my swords. I am not going to gm magery, doesnt seem really necessary to gm magery in my view. I didnt see any reason to get more magery than enough to recall. my stats are going to be 100str/100dex/25int.
Well, since I want to fish aswell, I thought that being able to kill and chase after a sea serpent would be easier with magery, so that's why I want to GM magery, so perhaps I should add eval int, meditation or resisting spells. Also I think a GM hiding skill would be gold considering the instant hide from PKs.
Kryptonical wrote:you are correct boards weigh much less than logs dont know off the top of my head the difference but its something like 100-180 logs equals around 390 stones, yet 600-700 boards equals 390 stones. I'm not 100% sure if there is a skill check done when making logs into boards, but what I can say is that on my gatherer I have absolutely no carp and have never failed (leaving me to believe it doesnt check carp), and when I started I had 0 lumberjacking and as well never failed, leaving me to believe it doesnt to a skill check at all, but I could be wrong.
Sounds awesome, thank you!
Kryptonical wrote:this char doesnt make sense to me as I dont get why you have musicianship, I remember when I was first looking I saw that to be able to make all the house add ons you would need to have music to make instruments, but then I realized A. you can buy em very cheap at npcs B.there isnt much (if any) difference between a store bought instrument and a gm made one C.really? whos going to care where their instrument comes from, buy it from the npc. so free that up.
Well, it's like the cooking skill on the Scribe isn't neccesary, but I'd love to make my own instruments, and why not GM it during an AFK night when I'm at it. I dunno if I can add the "Crafted by" thing on instruments, but it'd be totally nice.;)
Kryptonical wrote:on my char I dont have bowcraft (just didnt want it) or music (previously explained). However for creating a good smith its my understanding that mining is almost necessary due to the smelting process which does a skill check on mining. So I have mining on there as well. then you could do whatever you want with the 7th, I personally have mining and lumberjacking (2 accts with resource gathering abilities, instead of 1 acct).
Well, since the other character is the gatherer, I figured, he'd be the one making the ignots for the crafter. And bowcraft is more like, just to have it, like musicianship, I mean, like the crafter won't ever leave my house.

Thanks for replying, I have someone to talk about the ideas with. ;)

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Kryptonical wrote:
on my char I dont have bowcraft (just didnt want it) or music (previously explained). However for creating a good smith its my understanding that mining is almost necessary due to the smelting process which does a skill check on mining. So I have mining on there as well. then you could do whatever you want with the 7th, I personally have mining and lumberjacking (2 accts with resource gathering abilities, instead of 1 acct).

"Well, since the other character is the gatherer, I figured, he'd be the one making the ignots for the crafter. And bowcraft is more like, just to have it, like musicianship, I mean, like the crafter won't ever leave my house."

Safir - what I was referring to by saying you need mining on your smith is because when you are creating a smith one effective way of gaining skill is to use your smith skill to create an item, for example a katana which takes like 8 ingots or so, then once you have created the katana you smelt it (using the mining skill), which would give you back 4 ingots (again I think the ingot amount it gives you back depends on your mining skill). Unless you plan on either:
a) creating a buttload of items and selling them all
b) creating a buttload of items then loggin in on your gathering and having him smelt it all for you

if you plan on doing either of those options then I'm making a mute point.

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Ahh, I didn't know that! See, THIS is why I need to check my templates while they actually are templates. ;) Thank you!

I still might consider sellin' the stuff I hammer out from the ignots though, I remember this being a good source of income while workin' on the blacksmithy skill back in the day.

Anyone know how much mining is required to get the full amount available from melting crafted armor/weapons. I could always reduce the musicianship and magery, and even remove bowcraft/fletching.

Also, I'm still unsure about what skills to add on the Gatherer (#1) to make it PvE worthy against Sea Serpents... Input?

Return to “New Player Help”