Newcomer to the shard

Moderator: Support Moderators

Vanathros

Newcomer to the shard

Post by Vanathros »

Hello to everyone here at Ultima Online Second Age! My name is Vanathros (or Van), and I come from the UO:Divinity shard. Some of you may or may not know what that is, so I will give you a brief summary. The UO:Divinity shard is a T2A focused freeshard, such as this, and it mainly emphasizes on PvP. It also disabled the use of any type of mount, therefore I am not used to using and/or riding/moving around with a mount. Everyone who's played on the UO:D shard is skilled at PvPing without mounts. The UO:D shard has maybe about 25% of this shard's population, so we're a close-knit community. Anywho, to make it short, I come from a PvP shard to this, a shard in which every type of player resides. I myself LOVE RolePlaying, though in Divinity I was mostly RPing alone, so I resorted to PvP/PKing/Murdering other players. I've got a few dozen kills under my belt, some were even more skilled than I. I did not use Magery, as I preferred to use my powerful mace to shatter my foe's armor, and strike them with my bow/crossbow should they attempt to flee. Yes, I've lost many battles to mages. T2A is the era of Swordsmansip-Magery templates. I came to this shard after learning about it from a friend, who also plays but I shall not post his name. I've been playing for about 1 hour so far, and see that things here are drastically different from Divinity. Some examples are: here I am only able to sell items in amounts of 5 to a NPC vendor, and for 25-50% of the price I'd normally get on Divinity. [Ex: Leather sells for 3 coins a piece here, where in Divinity it sold for 8 coins, and could be sold in any amount] There are many more guards in the towns than in Divinity, and also many more players. I also noticed that skillgains are much slower here, but I've no real problem, as I played UO many years ago. The moongates here are also different, in Divinity I was able to choose my destination whereas here, I am not. No problem though, it would make PvPing more exciting. ;-) But enough about the comparisons of the shards and my story...I've got a few questions to ask, if you don't mind.

1. What is the most used template for farming/moneymaknig here? Is it like all of the other shards where everyone uses a Bard?

2. What IS a good way for someone new like myself to find a decent income? )I tend to use a lot of bandages, and most of my coins go towards purchasing those.)

3. Are there any active RolePlaying guilds? [I see that the Bloodrok Orcs are here, I've slain a few of your brethren on the EA Legends shard. ;-) Looking forward to slaying many more here, or perhaps forge an alliance? I do recall meeting a few renegade Orcs who I became good friends with]

4. How friendly/helpful is the community towards newcomers such as myself?

5. How often do people PvP in/out of town?

6. How balanced are the weapons/armor here? [In Divinity, the main weapons were Halberds. Armor had little meaning, example: Most players used Leather armor so they would be able to Meditate while still keeping a decent AR. The different ore types did not provide resists/bonuses to the armor, their only purpose was to make armor with a different color. {Shadow Iron Platemail offered the EXACT same AR/bonuses as regular Platemail}]

7. Do people here 'explore' Britannia like in the old days of UO? Or do they simply travel to the next dungeon and continue farming?

8. How helpful are the GM's?

9. How stable is the economy?

10. Do skills synergize each other? [Example: Anatomy - Increases melee damage, Increases HP healed when using skill Healing. Evaluate Intelligence - Increases damage done by certain Magery spells. Inscription - Increases damage done by certain Magery spells {same as Eval Int}]

11.Does Lumberjacking increase damage dealt by axes? [Used to give 30% damage boost to axes]

12. Are there player-created/run towns/villages?

13. Are there hooded shrouds available? If so, how rare are they and what are their price ranges?

14. Is it possible to obtain Black Dye/White Dye tubs?

15. How often does one see "neon" colored items? [Those are an eyesore]

16. Would you like to donate weapons/armor/gold to help get me started? LoL!

17. Last but not least, who is your daddy, and what does he do?

-Van

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Newcomer to the shard

Post by RoadKill »

Divinity is not a T2A shard. It's a custom shard.

1. What is the most used template for farming/moneymaknig here? Is it like all of the other shards where everyone uses a Bard?
Most people make a bard, some people go over the top and make a tamer. Tank mages are also good for farming. (And then you can also fight off any attackers a lot easier)

2. What IS a good way for someone new like myself to find a decent income? )I tend to use a lot of bandages, and most of my coins go towards purchasing those.)

Farm bandages by going to the Cotton fields and Sheep Pens. Spin/Loom your own bandages. It's fast, easy, and free.

3. Are there any active RolePlaying guilds? [I see that the Bloodrok Orcs are here, I've slain a few of your brethren on the EA Legends shard. ;-) Looking forward to slaying many more here, or perhaps forge an alliance? I do recall meeting a few renegade Orcs who I became good friends with]

Yes, look in the Guild Recruitment sub-forum

4. How friendly/helpful is the community towards newcomers such as myself?
Very, especially if you have time to use IRC, lots of friendly people there.

5. How often do people PvP in/out of town?
PVP takes place more out of town, than in town. I can find oranges/reds most of the time.

6. How balanced are the weapons/armor here?
Standard T2A Tank mage rules apply. Leather will decrease mana regeneration as that's how it was on T2A. Tank mages are commonly seen with Hally/Kats or QStaves. Dexers in armor/shields can hold ground (and there is a patch coming to fix a few things with AR, making it more accurate to the T2A-era)

7. Do people here 'explore' Britannia like in the old days of UO? Or do they simply travel to the next dungeon and continue farming?
We have a lot of "pure newbies" here that don't have years of experience with the game, they still explore, they still get lost.

8. How helpful are the GM's?
Very

9. How stable is the economy?
Better than any other free shard with a population over 200.

10. Do skills synergize each other?
Yes, but there are no passive gains with skills.

11.Does Lumberjacking increase damage dealt by axes? [Used to give 30% damage boost to axes]
No, why are you even asking this? This is from UO:R :)

12. Are there player-created/run towns/villages?
Yes.

13. Are there hooded shrouds available? If so, how rare are they and what are their price ranges?
You want a hooded shroud? Die and remain a ghost :D

14. Is it possible to obtain Black Dye/White Dye tubs?
"White" Dye tubs? You can buy non-hued tubs from tailors. Black tubs can be achieved by collecting enough trophy points. Tubs are limited in use.

15. How often does one see "neon" colored items? [Those are an eyesore]
Only neon you'll really see around here is hair.

16. Would you like to donate weapons/armor/gold to help get me started? LoL!
Join IRC and people will throw help at you. Don't misunderstand "help" for the word "handout"
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

I think roadkill covered all those questions pretty well, so I would just like to welcome you, Venathros, to UO Second Age :)

Vanathros

Post by Vanathros »

Bah, not really as good of answers as I expected, thanks? I guess.

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Vanathros wrote:Bah, not really as good of answers as I expected, thanks? I guess.
Lol, being picky today?

No but really, I've only been here a few days myself, and from how I've been percieving UOSA, RoadKills answers where spot-on. And like he said, need help with anything IRC is your best bet. ;) Enjoy your stay!

Slaine
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Slaine »

/Agree. Roadkill went out of his way to give you honest and accurate answers. You asked ALOT of questions therefore you should expect the responses to be short. Therefore to get more in depth information either read the very informative, easy to read guides OR post single questions about topics you would like answered in more depth.

And you could at least have been grateful for getting a response, rather than being flippant....I guess.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Divinity players! pff

UOSA is like Canada we are all friendly and smoke lots of grass!
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Return to “New Player Help”