Event Gates:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Event Gates:

Post by Faust »

I have seen a lot of griping about the event gates lately. How about we discuss a better way towards using a method to join them in here? My suggestion would be something along these lines.

The standard event message pops up. However, instead of a gate popping up we would append a message such as "If you would like to participate in this event type <insert join command> now." The command could be something such as /join for example. Once you hit /join your character will be frozen quite similar to the stuck option menu and be sent to the current event room 30-45 seconds later after typing the command to join the event. This will remove the ability for a "quick escape route" for people.

This way we won't have little red moongates popping up everywhere. The staff wouldn't have to deal with all the griping when people grief the red moongates as well. It just seems like there is an overall better way to do the event joining if the events have to be here.

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Event Gates:

Post by Michael Malloy »

Aye, I was actually going to suggest something like this is the other thread.

Enter a command like [event or [join or what have you, then be frozen (like the stuck menu) for 20-30 seconds, then teleported to the arena. Just make sure to keep notifying people with sys messages (maybe a couple more than the 2 we get now?), since there will be no visual clue (conspicuous red moongate).

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

Once you hit /join your character will be frozen quite similar to the stuck option menu and be sent to the current event room 30-45 seconds later after typing the command to join the event. This will remove the ability for a "quick escape route" for people

this is a good idea, however, here are some of my thoughts on this.

1) Like you said, there should be a delay of 30-45 seconds
2) During this delay you become frozen, even if you are in combat.
3) You CAN be attacked while you are frozen. This will prevent people from using events as insta invulnerability buffs.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

The standard event message pops up. However, instead of a gate popping up we would append a message such as "If you would like to participate in this event type <insert join command> now." The command could be something such as /join for example. Once you hit /join your character will be frozen quite similar to the stuck option menu and be sent to the current event room 30-45 seconds later after typing the command to join the event. This will remove the ability for a "quick escape route" for people.
This seems like the perfect solution IMO. Also, leave the gates, just remove the ability to go in them while criminal or in combat (if this isn't already the case)

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

thumbs up
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

Hemperor This seems like the perfect solution IMO. Also, leave the gates, just remove the ability to go in them while criminal or in combat (if this isn't already the case)
Leaving the gates does not solve the current problem. There would still be issues with people PKing other people attempting to enter the gate, that is the entire reason why this new system is being proposed.

Also, you currently cannot enter a gate if you are flagged a criminal.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The inability to enter the gates as a criminal is due to thieves using these events gates for their getaway, thereby effecting gameplay.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kefka wrote:
Hemperor This seems like the perfect solution IMO. Also, leave the gates, just remove the ability to go in them while criminal or in combat (if this isn't already the case)
Leaving the gates does not solve the current problem. There would still be issues with people PKing other people attempting to enter the gate, that is the entire reason why this new system is being proposed.

Also, you currently cannot enter a gate if you are flagged a criminal.
I meant, leave the gates in addition to Faust's proposed idea. Some people may not want to sit for 45 seconds, leaving themselves open to attack at this point when they are sitting at the bank anyways.

Senses

Post by Senses »

I've always thought that the gates, while handy for events, offer a safe an easy method of travel for new people that was never really era accurate. My first few days here I was able to make runes to every city in town, and while I realize thats really no big deal, for a new player its huge. The new experience should involve some actual travel time or at least getting the money together to buy a pre made rune book. I'm sure this opinion is a minority one and probably not even all that relevant to this discussion but it was something I had been thinking about since my first week.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Senses wrote:I've always thought that the gates, while handy for events, offer a safe an easy method of travel for new people that was never really era accurate. My first few days here I was able to make runes to every city in town, and while I realize thats really no big deal, for a new player its huge. The new experience should involve some actual travel time or at least getting the money together to buy a pre made rune book. I'm sure this opinion is a minority one and probably not even all that relevant to this discussion but it was something I had been thinking about since my first week.
I think taking the gate out should simply bring you back to the exact same spot that you came from prior to the event.

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

just add two gates one infront of Wind and one At the Chaos Shrine....