An intro for the noob?

Topics related to Second Age
DingoTM

An intro for the noob?

Post by DingoTM »

So I'm new to the server, it's been a while since I loaded up UO. I've played on many free servers, but the last time I was on OSI it was T2A. But there are quite a few things that I've forgotten about the era that I am finding mixed answers for, I was hoping someone could answer these for me XD

**SUMMARY** - Since I apparently wasn't clear, here is a summary of my questions for those who want the jist:

1) What's up with types of ores? -> Answered, thanks!

2) Where can I find specific and reliable combat mechanics for the T2A era besides the wiki?

3) Is it possible to decompile specific mechanic files from the OSI version and integrate them into the current program? Answered in pm, thanks!

4) Is integration of certain specific game mechanics something the community wants? -> More so just asked this question to make sure I didn't get flamed for my curiosity XD Not trying to change UOSA. But am looking for others who would be interested in such a project.
Last edited by DingoTM on Mon May 20, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Swill Bag

Re: An intro for the noob?

Post by Swill Bag »

you wont last here with that attitude

DingoTM

Post by DingoTM »

Swill Bag wrote:you wont last here with that attitude
I'm sorry you took offense. I already have my macros and whatnot setup. I didn't mean to spark anything opinionated, I was simply asking if it was possible. Obviously, I read what the server is about before I decided to join it :mrgreen:

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

This server is quite old... way more aged than OSI's T2A era, so this is about the most true version of T2A you can find. UOSA is far more refined in the capitalistic market type that OSI-T2A offered (regarding your convenience point), so you're seeing something entirely new.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

DingoTM

Post by DingoTM »

Vega wrote:This server is quite old... way more aged than OSI's T2A era, so this is about the most true version of T2A you can find. UOSA is far more refined in the capitalistic market type that OSI-T2A offered (regarding your convenience point), so you're seeing something entirely new.
That's really cool, it's partially based off the original demo, no? I read most of the article about how the staff reconstruct the era, it was very interesting. The wiki and the site do a good job of addressing the specific differences between the UOSA and servers based on contemporary OSI, I just thought I'd ask a few questions before engrossing myself in the patch notes XD

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

Ores are the standard range from common iron to rarest valorite. None of that blaze, ice, toxic nonsense. Rarer ores take more skill to mine, smelt, and smith into items, but carry no advantage other than making your armor look spiffy. (Which reminds me, armor colors don't show on MyUOSA. Why is that?)

When you mine a spot you've got a 50/50 shot each stroke to get iron or another ore type. It'll always be the same ore type in the same spot. If you only want iron you can lock Mining skill at 75, but you'll get more ingots overall if you raise it higher.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

GeistSR wrote:Ores are the standard range from common iron to rarest valorite. None of that blaze, ice, toxic nonsense. Rarer ores take more skill to mine, smelt, and smith into items, but carry no advantage other than making your armor look spiffy. (Which reminds me, armor colors don't show on MyUOSA. Why is that?)

When you mine a spot you've got a 50/50 shot each stroke to get iron or another ore type. It'll always be the same ore type in the same spot. If you only want iron you can lock Mining skill at 75, but you'll get more ingots overall if you raise it higher.

Are you sure about that? It shows on one of my toons.

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

My golden plate gauntlets are showing as normal iron. Not that I really care, just curious.

DingoTM

Post by DingoTM »

GeistSR wrote:Ores are the standard range from common iron to rarest valorite. None of that blaze, ice, toxic nonsense. Rarer ores take more skill to mine, smelt, and smith into items, but carry no advantage other than making your armor look spiffy. (Which reminds me, armor colors don't show on MyUOSA. Why is that?)

So they are specifically a paperdoll vanity item? I've noticed some player vendors selling gold items > copper items > iron items, and priced respectively. Is it all just marketing?

And thanks for the tip. I never ended up making a crafter during this era and know little about it.

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

Pretty much. With 75 Mining you can smelt iron guaranteed, but even with GM Mining, advanced ores like bronze and above have increasingly higher chances of failing to smelt, wasting the ore. So higher prices on armor made of these materials is somewhat justified. They're not really that hard to obtain though. I wouldn't spend extra on anything short of valorite myself, but then if I was buying armor, I'd prefer magic armor anyway.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

GeistSR wrote:My golden plate gauntlets are showing as normal iron. Not that I really care, just curious.
Sounds like its bugged then, my agapite armor shows but as you say maybe some colors dont show up.

Yes the colors are only for papperdoll, dont give anything extra :)