Unattended Reg buying

Topics related to Second Age
Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Unattended Reg buying

Post by Francois424 »

In a sense, afk reg buyers are helping to keep the vendors stock at a reasonable level. Imagine if you wanted to buy up a vendor to 500 of ea. reg with the current mechanics!!
Assuming they leave enough for ppl to buy; which is kindof a problem, especially on week-ends. Note that SOMETIMES you get lucky and I can get maybe 2-3 regs @ over 300 stock. That being sid, I'm in the camp that beleives the Regs buying macro shoudn't be allowed.

Maybe we should do an exception to Era specific rules for the ressources vendors, as they "drain" money for economy, and then the unattended macroing is irrelevant. When vendors are at 999 of each reagents you are bound to find one to buy from. Or just set their timers back to 30min, while keeping the +9 per refresh.

It would satisfy both parties in any case.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Doubtful the server will budge from it's strict era accuracy goal because of this issue. There are larger issues that would be pressed to be addressed (LoS in large homes, Mount fatigue, 1s object delay, etc.) before the restock mechanics of the NPC's.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

Pirul wrote:Doubtful the server will budge from it's strict era accuracy goal because of this issue. There are larger issues that would be pressed to be addressed (LoS in large homes, Mount fatigue, 1s object delay, etc.) before the restock mechanics of the NPC's.
Beyond that, I'm pretty sure Derrick and Kaivan both stated that not only will the restock timers not be changing, that it is about as accurate as it can get. While there may be things missing inventory-wise, the actual timer mechanic is known to be very close to, if not dead on, accurate.

Francois424 wrote: Assuming they leave enough for ppl to buy; which is kindof a problem, especially on week-ends. Note that SOMETIMES you get lucky and I can get maybe 2-3 regs @ over 300 stock. That being sid, I'm in the camp that beleives the Regs buying macro shoudn't be allowed.
Ah, but therein lies the problem. See my edit on my previous comment; the issue here is two-fold. You are likely hitting these vendors at very similar times to many other players -- this making the limit seem artificially higher than it actually is; and likewise, the AFK reg buying is *NOWHERE NEAR* as pervasive as most seem to believe it is. If this was nonstop, you would see vendors across the map at 999 when they restock. This has never been the case in my 2 months of looking. People simply aren't buying out the vendors, and the vendor stock is repleting back to default after the next cycle when its not bought out completely. This is why, despite what you think, you actually WANT AFK buyers for macros -- they heavily increase the possibility that a vendor will have a heavy stock of an item.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.

Knives

Post by Knives »

I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Razor is the only tool allowed for AFK macroing.

The complexity involved in setting up a macro to cycle through a runebook with movement, speech, and the possible addition of choosing alternate rune locations if they are blocked are likely not Razor. More likely EUO.

So this style of unattended reag buying should be hardcore banned.

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

Knives wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Razor is the only tool allowed for AFK macroing.

The complexity involved in setting up a macro to cycle through a runebook with movement, speech, and the possible addition of choosing alternate rune locations if they are blocked are likely not Razor. More likely EUO.

So this style of unattended reag buying should be hardcore banned.
everything you mentioned is possible with razor.

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

It can be a little bit annoying when you only need a few regs and the local shop is sold out, but chances are if you just take the moongate to the next town, you'll find some.

And when you're macroing Magery and/or Resist on a new char, you realize the bulk reg vendors are really doing a service to the shard. As long as their prices stay reasonable I say good on them.

Edit:
Also the naturally spawning regs in the field have dramatically increased in quantity, so even those new to the shard or game should be able to find enough to get going.

Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Francois424 »

There was a post on Reddit about UO being alive, and someone recommended us (UOSecondAge).

Beside one remark about too many 'jerks', the next thing that come up was... Unattended Regs buying making it hard to buy reagents... Fancy that.
If that's starting to affect the publicity in a negative way, maybe there's a reason.

Anyways, with enough time and patience, you always find reagents, it's just annoying, :roll:

GeistSR

Post by GeistSR »

You just have to change your approach. Even a new char, if you know what you're doing, can scrounge up the gold to buy a couple hundred of each reg from a player vendor after a few hours. The prices are well within reason for the extreme convenience.

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

GeistSR wrote:It can be a little bit annoying when you only need a few regs and the local shop is sold out, but chances are if you just take the moongate to the next town, you'll find some.

And when you're macroing Magery and/or Resist on a new char, you realize the bulk reg vendors are really doing a service to the shard. As long as their prices stay reasonable I say good on them.

Edit:
Also the naturally spawning regs in the field have dramatically increased in quantity, so even those new to the shard or game should be able to find enough to get going.

I agree. At first I was a bit disgruntled. Then I realized that I can buy 1k of a certain reg by paying a premium of 500gc. For the convenience of buying 1k reg at a time, I don't mind paying the 500gc premium. That seems like an awfully small amount to pay for the convince of paying the extra GC. Factor in the cost of recalling from npc mage shop to another, and it seems like a very small amount to pay.