Can you summon a horse to steal a ship

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Can you summon a horse to steal a ship

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:? https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... Ai-7HuEEoJ

Alex Mars
11/8/99
I've had a boat parked below Papua ever since the new lands opened so I could
resupply and drop loot without going back to the old world (this is on LS).
Since I've been playing EQ I've been religiously refreshing it every week (I've
become a fanatic about this since losing boats when I was playing Fallout2,
HOMM3, and BG when they came out).

I went to check it last week and it ahd been moved about 1 hull width to the
side and the valuable items in the hold were gone. It was still locked.

I had left a character logged out on the boat so all I had to do was log in,
open and close the gangplank, then log off. I realized that someone could have
stealthed aboard in the 2 seconds the gangplank was down but I count this as
unlikely due to the random nature of the times when I did this.

The character who was doing this was riding a horse when I logged off, and it
obviously takes several minutes for the character to disappear as it is not a
house. When I logged on the last time to find the boat moved and looted, I was
on shore and horseless. I had just retamed the horse before logging off, could
it have gone feral in 5 minutes? If so, could it have opened the gangplank and
disembarked? Could it have been enticed to do so?

Inquiring minds want to know.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Can you summon a horse to steal a ship

Uncle Milty
11/9/99
I used to steal horses off ships. If the ship is against the shore, and the
horse is within 3 tiles of me, I can tame it, tell it to "follow me", cast a
gate, go through, and the horse will magically jump off the ship, and follow
through the gate. Then I discovered that, if the ship is close enough to shore
that I can walk up against the side, I can mount the horse, and be on the ship.

It seems, lately, that tamed animals do go wild again almost immediately, if
they are not fed. At least grizzlies do.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I was just asking because the animals show up randomly in vicinity, and in the second post you clearly see that you can board a ship from a tamed mount. Does the location of summons take consideration the ship?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

These are two separate functions that are being described.

The first refers to a bug, where, at one point in time attempting to get on a mount would move you to the tile of that mount. This led to some house break in exploits during early 1999 with weak house barriers, where players would summon creatures across barriers with an open corner and mount a horse to get inside. This was changed in early 1999 to bring the mount to your character. This type of exploit is what was described when the player was talking about mounting a horse to get onto a boat (past tense).

As for pulling a horse off of a ship, this refers o the function where any pets within a short distance of your character automatically follow your character through a moongate when you enter it. If a player is close enough to an animal to tame it, they are close enough that the animal will hop through the gate with them.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

I remember being able to open people's hulls if they were parked too close to edges at times and actually being able to take items. These were usually the edges that would be slightly elevated and people would basically park directly under it. I'm sure these references posted were of similar nature.

Alas, this is simply my memory and I don't find pleasure in wandering around the "wayback" machine for hours on end

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Kaivan wrote:These are two separate functions that are being described.

The first refers to a bug, where, at one point in time attempting to get on a mount would move you to the tile of that mount. This led to some house break in exploits during early 1999 with weak house barriers, where players would summon creatures across barriers with an open corner and mount a horse to get inside. This was changed in early 1999 to bring the mount to your character. This type of exploit is what was described when the player was talking about mounting a horse to get onto a boat (past tense).

As for pulling a horse off of a ship, this refers o the function where any pets within a short distance of your character automatically follow your character through a moongate when you enter it. If a player is close enough to an animal to tame it, they are close enough that the animal will hop through the gate with them.
Why did we change the system to not allow pets to go through gates if blocked by a barrier? This worked when I started and then suddenly was removed.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

No he said he actually mounted the horse and went aboard, after the gate thing. It happened during that post which I put first because the guy said he came back mount less and ship less. Being this was November 99' I was wondering if there was a patch that changed this.

He hadn't stated whether or not he was dead, but he was without a mount and ship and on shore which means he probably was. The ship was not deleted merely moved and looted.

"Then I discovered that, if the ship is close enough to shore
that I can walk up against the side, I can mount the horse, and be on the ship."

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That story is decidedly past tense and isn't a recent story. This is indicated in the very first sentence...
I used to steal horses off ships.
Nothing in that story indicates that this is a mechanic that still works, and for good reason, because it was used as a house exploit during early 1999 (also, you can search the newsgroups for posts about summoning horses as part of this exploit. There are several posts between January and April about using this technique to break into houses, and suddenly nothing after that point).
GuardianKnight wrote:Why did we change the system to not allow pets to go through gates if blocked by a barrier? This worked when I started and then suddenly was removed.
I'm not sure why it was removed. I was under the impression that it was still working within a certain distance.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org