Housing or Lack of

Topics related to Second Age
inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Housing or Lack of

Post by inkognito »

Pirul wrote:Housing is not accurate for sure!!

I remember when I started playing during t2a I had to share a house because buying one would set me back millions! And there was NO WAY in hell you could place one.

I remember the day me and two of my best friends placed a castle on dagger isle on lake superior after staying up all night and waiting for the servers to pop next morning. Was epic. Costed only deed cost.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Sadistik

Post by Sadistik »

Freight Elevator wrote:
Sadistik wrote:i dont know why some of you got so defencive to be honest im just throwing an idea out there hopeing its heard im not sayin i want hand outs iv earned ever piece of gold iv got and ill spend it on a fairly priced med house
Just check the housing forum often, leave a book with contact details on unused houses doorsteps in case they wish to sell, make a post with how much gold you're willing to drop on a house and what you're looking for and you might get a response. You'll find one for the right price soon enough. I always feel like good housing comes in waves. Until then just keep farming/training.

thnx for the idea about the book man good idea
Dyx, Your Local Housing Relocation Guild!
Here to sell you housing without the stiff prices!

Sadistik

Post by Sadistik »

Downs wrote:this is not sarcastically toned. Have you checked the housing forum? The following is all the large house listings from page 1 and the oldest thread on page 1 is from 10 days ago.

Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47936
Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47915
L-Shape viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47918
Tower viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47508
Keep viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47511
Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47701
L-Shape viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47631
Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47528

Some people do just refresh, but there are plenty of people selling larger houses on a regular basis. In some instances, its deed+small or 2 small which is a very fair price for an already placed home.

If you find a specific house you want, you can contact the owner; or you can make a WTB thread and have the sellers come to you.

I've dealt with Vega and advanced1 in larger house purchases. either are great to deal with if you find they have a house you want.

on all or most of those listed they went out of control with the bids and there is no way i can afford a tower or keep right now and i have been bidding but again i appreciate the advice hell i appreciate all the people even takin the time to read my post

and i have a bid on 1 of those you listed :) before readin this

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I remember back in the day (Chessy, late 90's) having no house for the longest time and then I guess it was they opened up Trammel (Renaissance?) and everyone rushed to place a new house. My buddy and I placed a large marble (still the best house design ever IMO) but then the servers crashed and ultimately we lost our spot. There were tens of thousands of players then so spots were impossible to find and buying was insanely expensive. And farming gold, because the shards were so crowded, was a LOT more difficult, in Felucca or Trammel. So I understand the frustration of not having a house.

BUT it's SO easy to buy a large house or a tower here. Maybe a few weeks or months of savings and buy one on the forum.

Too easy, if anything.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Budner wrote:I remember back in the day (Chessy, late 90's) having no house for the longest time and then I guess it was they opened up Trammel (Renaissance?) and everyone rushed to place a new house. My buddy and I placed a large marble (still the best house design ever IMO) but then the servers crashed and ultimately we lost our spot. There were tens of thousands of players then so spots were impossible to find and buying was insanely expensive. And farming gold, because the shards were so crowded, was a LOT more difficult, in Felucca or Trammel. So I understand the frustration of not having a house.

BUT it's SO easy to buy a large house or a tower here. Maybe a few weeks or months of savings and buy one on the forum.

Too easy, if anything.
My point exactly.

I only had a house when trammel came out...and quit shortly after
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

A year ago people were saying "There is no housing problem, I just placed a tower yesterday after some hours of searching". Then it turned into "I just placed an L shape", and now it's come down to "There are places all over for smalls if you look!".

While sure, you CAN always buy a house on the forums doe deed + something, there is no denying that, that doesn't mean that there is not a problem on the server with people owning houses all over the place just for the sake of owning them. Empty houses are everywhere, and it's very discouraging to new players, that is the truth of it.

When I started playing on UOSA, the population was about the same as it is now, or slightly higher, and there was plenty of room to place a home. Dagger Island even had room to place castles, tons of them! Something happened about a year later that turned everyone into a house-hording jerk-bag, and now we are where we are.

The problem is clearly the 15 houses that are allotted to each player. Is it mechanically accurate? Yes it is. So stop saying "you can place a small if you look hard enough!" to new players, and leave your "I got mine" attitude elsewhere. You only hurt the servers population when you act that way.

But, I think it's one of those things that should be reconsidered. I am sure everyone remembers "not being able to place a house at all" in real T2A, but there was also a population 100 times larger than the one on UOSA. Though I am SURE that EVERYONE will claim "When I was playing T2A I had 20 accounts and I had 5 houses on each of them, and my friend here had 50 accounts, and he was a GM on siege during beta", but that's silly, not everyone could have done that.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Following in the footsteps of my last post, I've done the calculations for the number of houses per person using very pessimistic assumptions. The total number of houses per person is only at 9.28 houses per person which is less than it was last time, despite being sampled earlier in the day than last time. As before, this is not a pandemic problem, and the fact that larger housing is more difficult to find now than it was before is due to the fact that we have more players than we had before.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

It took me 6 months to save up for 2 smalls to camp a two-story idoc and grab the spot then another couple of months to actually place my own two-story. I still own that one by the way (until I get drunk and change the house keys to lose my newbie key a second time) :D

It SHOULD be VERY hard to own anything other than a small house otherwise its trammel :P
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Sadistik

Post by Sadistik »

Kaivan wrote:Following in the footsteps of my last post, I've done the calculations for the number of houses per person using very pessimistic assumptions. The total number of houses per person is only at 9.28 houses per person which is less than it was last time, despite being sampled earlier in the day than last time. As before, this is not a pandemic problem, and the fact that larger housing is more difficult to find now than it was before is due to the fact that we have more players than we had before.
my main post wasnt anythin about it bein a problem really more a hey guys who have ones they just refresh help a brutha out is all (at fair market value not lookin for handouts by any means)

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

When I joined this shard I admit being horrified that you could own 15 houses. How unfair I thought.

After playing for a few years, now I own 15 houses.

I'm an investor IRL, I'm an investor on UOSA. What else am I supposed to do with my gold, apart from buy property - which by the way, is slow appreciating in value as the server becomes more crowded.

I often put small up for sale (recently 3 adjacent houses for 4x deed) but no buyers at what I feel are reasonable prices. So I hold.

Note that my ownership of a tower, a large brick and 13 smalls, if I sold them ALL, MIGHT buy me a single keep. What I really want is 3 towers, but I can't afford them!!

So I'm part of the problem that has inevitably occurred by allowing people to have 3 accounts and 5 houses per account.

BTW if anyone needs a small, PM me and we'll work a deal. I'll sell most of my properties for deed + 20k

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

Sadistik wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Following in the footsteps of my last post, I've done the calculations for the number of houses per person using very pessimistic assumptions. The total number of houses per person is only at 9.28 houses per person which is less than it was last time, despite being sampled earlier in the day than last time. As before, this is not a pandemic problem, and the fact that larger housing is more difficult to find now than it was before is due to the fact that we have more players than we had before.
my main post wasnt anythin about it bein a problem really more a hey guys who have ones they just refresh help a brutha out is all (at fair market value not lookin for handouts by any means)
You say that but you didn't buy any of the medium sized houses that are/were recently on the housing FS forum
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Freight Elevator wrote:You say that but you didn't buy any of the medium sized houses that are/were recently on the housing FS forum
Lol, that's cause all the rich people who already own 10+ out of their 15 max houses come in to the bidding and offer amounts that no noob can compete with. :wink:

Did you look at where the bidding went on those houses...?

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Sadistik

Post by Sadistik »

inkognito wrote:
Budner wrote:The burden of maintaining/refreshing 3 adjacent smalls is as little as 15 seconds a week, let's be honest. But yes on balance I'd prefer a large house vs. 3 smalls, mainly since you get 5 secure containers vs. 3. Otherwise I'd actually rather have 3 small houses assuming they're adjacent.

BTW I placed, didn't buy, my only tower on the shard, less than a year ago, and not from an IDOC. I also placed a large brick. In fact I've never actually purchased a house from another player. It can be done.

However I'll admit that I have little hope of actually placing a large house or an L-shape these days. So I'll have to buy large properties like everyone else.
I think its a matter of preference. But I def would prefer one house with one security system to worry about then to go thru three houses of stuff with security to bypass. Its the simple annoyance of it that makes me lean towards one vs three. For me, it would have nothing to do with storage perks. But that's just my style.

Also...NO chance placing anything bigger than a small these days without camping an IDOC or catching someone slippin' and placing while they are trying to move their neigborhood around. There's plenty of land for smalls out there. But someone has to pack up and leave space vacant for you to actually find any larger plots right now. And I've noticed that "house hunters" nowadays are pretty ravenous.

i have 2 smalls beside each other atm and i call it a medium/small with a dangerous hallway

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

I'm no noob, and I also only own two smalls right now. I'm going to be in the market for a patio as soon as I get my money right, but if you don't necessarily love to collect and show off rares, it is extremely easy to live in a couple of smalls for awhile till you can bid like the rest of the wealth of the server.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation