New and looking some PvM

Topics related to Second Age
T3h D4ve

New and looking some PvM

Post by T3h D4ve »

Hey guys, so I'm new here, let's get that over with.
Started playing UO sometime around late 97-98 (unless I'm messing up dates again) with some mates at school, and out of all of us, I was the only one not affected by WoWarcrack. Why it claimed so many of us, I'll never know....
Anywho, bounced around some custom map and role play servers for a while, mainly playing on AoS a while after it was released (enjoyed some of the pop-up/drop-downs for convenience, although bonded pets made a tamer boring and a little too safe; hated the never-ending quest for powerscrolls, despite enjoying the champion spawns), checked out the Tokuno world and items for a while, but too many new skills, not enough time to tweak old templates. Although the new Galleons sound cool, but I'm getting off-topic now (it'll happen a lot).
Around 2008 I got busy, and one of many things that got dropped was UO.
With the years gone by, I decided to check out a couple of old shards and take my characters out for a hunt, expecting my house to be gone, but alas, account wipe of unused logins. Between that, and dead shards.
So google brought me here....checked a couple of vote sites (with the numbers here, we could be doing a lot better on those sites than currently guys!) as well, but the numbers (even if everyone has all 3 accounts on at once) were best here.

Introduction aside, now, get to the point!
I've been in game about 3 or 4 days now, spent ages training music and peacemaking only to realise when GM'd, that they aren't target based but area based and stop all combat (handy for getting first pets, but not so much when farming), met a kind soul who got a free ostard and gave me his horse, followed by gifting me a full spellbook (Thanks, but I forgot your name).
Made a Mage with Inscription for the 10% bonus before finding it doesn't work here (does protection still work to cast through hits with GM inscription, anyone?) as well as the defensive wrestling bonus from GM anat & eval, made an axeman with swords & lumberjacking before hearing that doesn't work here either.....
Not complaining about it, just thinking an 'old players/returning players' guide for the wiki would be a nice addition so we can relearn what we've taken for granted with the newer versions.

But again, DAMMIT DAVE, GET TO THE POINT!
So I'm looking for some PvM....not looking for a guild that I know of just yet, just one or twenty other beings to hunt with.
Mainly to get some sort of gold for arrows and bandages to properly train some skills off for now, but with a few finished characters and some proper macros set up once I remember how to do more than the basic record/play with razor I'm more than happy to commit to long hunting sessions, group events, quests, etc...
For now though, I'm still enjoying the old-skool random city outskirts moongates for travel!

Mykos

Re: New and looking some PvM

Post by Mykos »

One of the easiest ways to facilitate finding that 1 to 20 to group hunt with is to join a guild. I know you said you weren't exactly looking for that right away, but yeah its your best option. Otherwise go up to random people at the bank of your choice and ask to hunt with them, risky proposition indeed.

I will plug my guild, The House of Oor'Tael. We are more focused towards pvm and like to help people of any skill level get going in this world. Hopefully, you stick it out with us after spending time with us. If the time comes to move on, then we understand and wish you well. Send me a pm, if interested.

Another fine guild to get started with here is NEW. I am sure someone will stop by this thread t offer their help as well. They are a great guild as well for new and returning players. Very helpful and I see them everywhere. :)
Mykos
House Master
House of Oor'Tael