Archery..

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
jimm1432

Re: Archery..

Post by jimm1432 »

Kaivan wrote:For your first bug, do you have any documentation supporting the existence of this bug? It doesn't work on the demo, and demo archery is the same archery seen during T2A.

For the second bug, this is not possible, at all. Whether you hit or miss and whether you gain skill or not is determined when your shot either hits or misses. When you move after firing a shot, the shot never checks to see if it's hit, because the code never gets to the point where the check is made. Thus, this bug is entirely impossible to do.
Remember uo has more patches then even documented many bugs worked for a day or two sometimes and were never posted in the patch documents.

askchopper.com used to have lots of info on these bugs but the old boards are gone from the records. they have uor bugs+ on archive.

I have no way of proving it and don't really care to, it's a bug that worked at one point in uo history in era or not. you asked for examples of the bugs....

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

jimm1432 wrote:
Kaivan wrote:For your first bug, do you have any documentation supporting the existence of this bug? It doesn't work on the demo, and demo archery is the same archery seen during T2A.

For the second bug, this is not possible, at all. Whether you hit or miss and whether you gain skill or not is determined when your shot either hits or misses. When you move after firing a shot, the shot never checks to see if it's hit, because the code never gets to the point where the check is made. Thus, this bug is entirely impossible to do.
Remember uo has more patches then even documented many bugs worked for a day or two sometimes and were never posted in the patch documents.

askchopper.com used to have lots of info on these bugs but the old boards are gone from the records. they have uor bugs+ on archive.

I have no way of proving it and don't really care to, it's a bug that worked at one point in uo history in era or not. you asked for examples of the bugs....
Same sentiment, I did not feel like digging around for documentation on this issue and hoped someone else would. Arm/Disarm was the primary bug I was referencing as it worked for quite awhile.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

jimm1432 wrote:

I agree that many patches weren't documented, but it is important to consider that evidence shows that archery was identical during T2A to how it operated during pre-T2A. Beyond that, when I ask for examples of bugs, I am asking for documented cases.
TI_Smithy wrote:Same sentiment, I did not feel like digging around for documentation on this issue and hoped someone else would. Arm/Disarm was the primary bug I was referencing as it worked for quite awhile.
What, specifically, did arm/disarm allow for (again, with some evidence, please)?
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

Kaivan wrote:
jimm1432 wrote:

I agree that many patches weren't documented, but it is important to consider that evidence shows that archery was identical during T2A to how it operated during pre-T2A. Beyond that, when I ask for examples of bugs, I am asking for documented cases.
TI_Smithy wrote:Same sentiment, I did not feel like digging around for documentation on this issue and hoped someone else would. Arm/Disarm was the primary bug I was referencing as it worked for quite awhile.
What, specifically, did arm/disarm allow for (again, with some evidence, please)?
out of era but this is a askchopper bug for 2000.
BS's are No BS Including the Infinite Arrow with no Resources Bug!
1st November, 2000 - Submitted by Anonymous

1. The parry bug, still works in power hour. This is old so I won't go into detail here, ask on the askchopper.com boards.

2. Get four boxes, the small red ones form provisioners and place them in a square/star so there is 1 tile free in the middle. Then you stand in one of the corners where the blade can hit you and hide. Then get someone to cast blade spirit in the tile between boxes, this should reveal you and poison you every hit, I got 78 resist in 40 mins from this now I'm in the 90s. It slows down at 70ish but you can go all the way to GM off it.. If the BS doesn't poison u first time you need to try again til you manage it..

(Courtesy of GMLoota) - permission given to post name

set your BS off either at the foot of a cliff so it can't get to you, or across a river. Pull out your bow and equip it. You'll fire an arrow even if you don't have any! Rinse and repeat. You'll get damn good gains in your archery aswell as tactics etc. with no resources used and no risk.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at this on the demo and see if this produces the same results, now that I've got a process to replicate.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Kaivan wrote:Unfortunately, outrunning arrows and bolts was around until late UOR. It wasn't fixed until Publish 16:
Players will no longer be able to "run away" from arrows/bolts.
Okay so in other words replicate an era where even the mechanics then were not completed as they had been originally conceived in the designers mind.

That's why I think the Second Age as it should have been should be the motto.

Having to stand still for an arrow to hit and being able to out run arrows but not spells even through gates or recalling seems to me as a very broken system...why on earth would you replicate unpolished mechanics and flaws?

The other aspects I can understand, just not the lazy unfinished work the designers put into the spells,skills, and weapons.
They catered more to cry babies then the actual gameplay which was most unfortunate, which paved the way to make the Trammys. Too busy trying to please little boys and girls who had a hard time starting off instead of refining the system that could have made the game greater then what it was.

Because of internet speed back then I doubt players could offscreen damage from spells or outrun arrows. I seriously think animation was adjusted for mobiles and missile weapons for this very reason because the servers ran faster then most home connections. Which is why the fix that you can no longer outrun arrows was around the same time internet connections and processors became faster I would almost bet on it, otherwise there would probably be more complaints prior.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Error-accuracy is era-accurate.

They are not aiming to polish the experience or finish what the designers started. They are aiming to recreate the era exactly, or as closely, as it was on the target date.

Don't like it? Tough. It's not changing. Adapt, or move along. Some do, some don't, but the shard's not changing to suit the desires of the few, or ever if it goes against what is correct to era.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

Blaise wrote:Error-accuracy is era-accurate.

They are not aiming to polish the experience or finish what the designers started. They are aiming to recreate the era exactly, or as closely, as it was on the target date.

Don't like it? Tough. It's not changing. Adapt, or move along. Some do, some don't, but the shard's not changing to suit the desires of the few, or ever if it goes against what is correct to era.

until it comes to gf blessed items / how the housing works here (wrongs in many ways) and i'm sure we should have skill atrophy..

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Blaise wrote:Error-accuracy is era-accurate.

Okay but lets say some of these mechanics took internet speed into account...should we not adjust it then to meet the range of high speed modems? Or as I was saying with the patch where you could no longer outrun arrows came out about the time that faster internet connection did for the average user. Prior to, it may not have been a problem.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Add Guild Chat and half a dozen other NEA things to the list, but whatever, it's not perfect, yet.

As for the connection speed argument. Lelouche played on T1 back then with like 5 accounts. Shitty ping is only accurate to the masses, not the elite.

;)
Est Sularus oth Mithas