Editing old posts. (The UOSA Terror Attack!)

Topics related to Second Age
Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Editing old posts. (The UOSA Terror Attack!)

Post by Roser »

Kaivan wrote:As for editing old posts, some limitation will almost certainly stay in place in terms of how often a post can be edited
Limit the amount of edit's you can do in one day, sort of like how you can only give so much karma per day.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

GuardianKnight wrote:
I sang this karaoke once. I incorporated Mike Tramp's speech impediment and his eyes looking up to the sky into my act. Nobody at the bar appreciated my subtle accuracy. :(
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Rose wrote:
Kaivan wrote:As for editing old posts, some limitation will almost certainly stay in place in terms of how often a post can be edited
Limit the amount of edit's you can do in one day, sort of like how you can only give so much karma per day.
This is largely what I would like to suggest to Derrick as a possible solution. The issue is determining the best way to do it.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Rose wrote:Ever since "Telemon-bin-laden" attacked the UOSA forums by way of mass deletion of posts, we have been stuck with this crappy policy on editing posts.

For those of us who require the ability to edit old posts (mostly in the player run event forum) this is a huge problem. We don't even have the ability to copy/paste our old hyperlinks (pictures mostly).

The time it took me to construct some of these player run event threads was immense, and required weeks of editing. It may not be such a big deal if I could simply copy/paste these into a new thread, but I cant even do that. I just simply do not have the time to recreate these things from the ground up.

To my knowledge, Telemon was the only one who ever did any damage to these forums, other people either lack the ability to do so (not as high of a post count) and or would never do something like that. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I propose that the old model of post editing be restored, or at the very least please allow us free reign on post editing in the player run event forum.

Thank you for your time,
Viva la edit!

Edit before its to late: I forgot to mention the Guides section, I sure could use the ability to edit my old guides that need updating...
Request to be added as a moderator for the thread in question. This way you can edit your and others posts for that thread. Since its the events/trade forums, its probably justified.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Blaise wrote:Or just let people who provide UGC (User Generated Content), own their content and leave it or take it as they see fit?

That, or just let everyone know that everything you do here now belongs to the staff. Perhaps people might think twice about putting forth so much effort to help, improve or grow a community through their services and contributions, knowing it is no longer theirs.

Oh wait....
That is nonsense.

We never mentioned anything about ownership of information/content. We just want people to take responsibility for what they say. Additionally, it is disruptive to a conversation if something that was referenced disappears from the middle of the thread.

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

GuardianKnight wrote:Claiming copyright on a forum based off of pirated software.......yeah, I don't know if you have any real legal grounds. If you made a real fuss, you'd probably just get this place shut down.
RunUO (the daemon that runs the server) is not pirated or illegal in any way. It was conceived prior to the DMCA and is perfectly legal. It did not use any EA code and was developed from scratch by reverse engineering (at the time a legal method of software development).

There is a reason that EA doesn't go after free shards... They cannot. Reverse engineer the new protocol UO Reborn (forget full title) (post-DMCA), and I am sure they will come down on you with the wrath of the gods.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Rose wrote:We don't even have the ability to copy/paste our old hyperlinks (pictures mostly)....

It may not be such a big deal if I could simply copy/paste these into a new thread, but I cant even do that.
I have to correct myself here, I cant stand it.

Rose you dummy, just hit the quote button and you can copy/paste anything (including hyperlinks) within any thread.

Oops :D

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Braden wrote:
Request to be added as a moderator for the thread in question. This way you can edit your and others posts for that thread. Since its the events/trade forums, its probably justified.

This is game, set and match right here. Well done!
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Elph wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:Claiming copyright on a forum based off of pirated software.......yeah, I don't know if you have any real legal grounds. If you made a real fuss, you'd probably just get this place shut down.
To my knowledge EA and Origin are aware of freeservers and have never taken legal action against them, as they do not operate the same and are a non-threat that does not exist to make profit from their game.
If they could, they would. Corporations exist to make money above all. IIRC Blizzard somehow patented the communication between WOW client and WOW server. I am thinking somekind of data encapsulation software patent, do not remember particulars.

With UO, the client software is indeed copyright/patented but not the communication. RunUO is FOSS/Freeware. So they have no way to sue someone like Derrick. Derrick is breaking no laws :)

Blizzard kicked the shit out of people who ran free WOW servers, because they were breaking laws (violation of software patents).
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Brules

Post by Brules »

Braden wrote:
Done, thanks! That should make it easier for thread starters like my new player housing thread.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

applejack wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:
I sang this karaoke once. I incorporated Mike Tramp's speech impediment and his eyes looking up to the sky into my act. Nobody at the bar appreciated my subtle accuracy. :(

I wish you would have recorded that to show us. lol
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson