Afk resource gathering of reagents, "What is a resource?"

Topics related to Second Age
Pirul

Re: Afk resource gathering of reagents, "What is a resource?

Post by Pirul »

Elph wrote:You would still be able to sell them, and I would imagine in 5k there are many identicals, but it not like you're selling 10k flamestrike scrolls.

I'm sorry for not getting the restock time correct. What is the restock time then? The math would simply be adjusted.

Also, is the restock time the same as the gold inventory refresh time?
Vendors restock every hour. From what I have seen (although I have not extensively tested this) their gold refreshes only once or twice a day, the rest must come from other players buying their wares. The only new gold coming in would be the 3 or 4k each vendor starts with everyday.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Pirul wrote: Vendors restock every hour. From what I have seen (although I have not extensively tested this) their gold refreshes only once or twice a day, the rest must come from other players buying their wares. The only new gold coming in would be the 3 or 4k each vendor starts with everyday.
They restock up to a maximum of ~2k per hour from what I've seen. If they have more, it's because of player purchases. If they have less, it's because they've been sold to within the last hour.

Elph: Restricting afk reg buying on the basis that it would somehow hamper scroll selling would have essentially zero impact. These sellers are already in the mage shops to sell their wares -- and must do so attended. It is no extra burden for them to say "vendor buy" at the same time. The only effective means to combat this, without breaking accuracy, is to make afk crafting illegal.

Elph

Post by Elph »

"The only effective means to combat this, without breaking accuracy, is to make afk crafting illegal."

I see no problem with this.

Making AFK reg buying illegal would force them to buy them when selling, and attended. I see no problem with that either.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I tried, I really tried and I failed.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Rather than do work this Monday morning, i read this whole thread.

Elph, Firstly, i think you are overestimating the profit / time of afk scribing with our current rules. With current vendor rules, vendors have limited gold and will only buy x amount of each item at full price.

Lets assume someone is logging in every time the vendors refresh to sell their afk'd stacks. This eludes to 3 things.
1. This is serious and dedicated screen time. i can assure you there are better / more profitable uses of your time if you are able to play this often.
2. With current vendor rules... only ONE person could do this. As npc's would not have gold.
3. When a vendor uses his 2k gold to buy back scrolls, it isnt 2k profit. Its more like ~50%, and there is still cost with recalling all over so often.

Somehow limiting vendor's "buy" ability to address a "perceived" scribing issue is a terrible idea. It would effect many different aspects of the game and in particular, new players, or new crafters selling their items as they raise skill.

That being said. I would have no problem with Mikel's suggestion below. I see no issue with not allowing any form of AFK recall/gate/movement. I think it would benefit the shard in many different ways from rares to gathering / buying & selling.
Mikel123 wrote: Personally, I'd offer a separate rule which would fit the same (a) and (b) criteria.
No AFK macroing in which PC movement occurs (whether by taking steps, Recalling, Gating, Teleporting, or anything else I'm forgetting).

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Rammar wrote:The only effective means to combat this, without breaking accuracy, is to make afk crafting illegal.
I'd have to say there are other ways around all of this AFK'ing of the game and Mikel123 had the best one, in my opinion:
Mikel123 wrote:No AFK macroing in which PC movement occurs (whether by taking steps, Recalling, Gating, Teleporting, or anything else I'm forgetting).

This addresses what I think are the objections people tend to have (AFK mining, reagent buying, scroll-selling, rare-scavenging), creates no dichotomy between things that "make wealth" and "transfer wealth", and also allows the continued use of macroing that most people tend to support: character skill gain.
This is the clearest and simplest proposed rule regarding AFK macros that I have seen thus far and I think it would make an excellent addition to this shard.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Elph

Post by Elph »

Hoots wrote:Rather than do work this Monday morning, i read this whole thread.

Elph, Firstly, i think you are overestimating the profit / time of afk scribing with our current rules. With current vendor rules, vendors have limited gold and will only buy x amount of each item at full price.

Lets assume someone is logging in every time the vendors refresh to sell their afk'd stacks. This eludes to 3 things.
1. This is serious and dedicated screen time. i can assure you there are better / more profitable uses of your time if you are able to play this often.
2. With current vendor rules... only ONE person could do this. As npc's would not have gold.
3. When a vendor uses his 2k gold to buy back scrolls, it isnt 2k profit. Its more like ~50%, and there is still cost with recalling all over so often.

Somehow limiting vendor's "buy" ability to address a "perceived" scribing issue is a terrible idea. It would effect many different aspects of the game and in particular, new players, or new crafters selling their items as they raise skill.

That being said. I would have no problem with Mikel's suggestion below. I see no issue with not allowing any form of AFK recall/gate/movement. I think it would benefit the shard in many different ways from rares to gathering / buying & selling.
Mikel123 wrote: Personally, I'd offer a separate rule which would fit the same (a) and (b) criteria.
No AFK macroing in which PC movement occurs (whether by taking steps, Recalling, Gating, Teleporting, or anything else I'm forgetting).

Mage vendors have plenty of gold due to players buying reagents from them. An effective gold sink. Unless... someone just mines the gold from the vendor with scrolls.