Guard regions accuracy? / Older Client support question

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
jbenam

Guard regions accuracy? / Older Client support question

Post by jbenam »

Hi,

I'm a long-time UO player (since '99), and while I somehow missed the real T2A era, I enjoyed it thru some freeshards which were luckily still not updated to UO:R.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1) I remember pretty much clearly that the Britain guarded region ended at the middle of the Britain east bridge (the one near the main Bank). I fondly remember how me, a nooblet, was always killed on the spot by the loads of PKs 'round there. I've fired up Sphere 0.55i (oh, the times!) with the 1.26.4i client (I'd have used the 1.25, but I haven't found any nocrypt client for that version, also it tends to bug up horribly on Win7-x64) and the same thing happens.

Here on UOSA the region extends way over to that point, stopping just a bit earlier than the moongate. Which is how AoS+ servers behave. That made me think if it was not an issue of UOSA using RunUO, which as it's a native AoS+ emulator, has the Regions probably setted for that era.

As specified earlier, I wasn't present on the official servers so I don't know if this was an inaccuracy of the various freeshards emulators (if I remember correctly POL did the same thing, so it was most certainly not limited to Sphereserver). I tried searching online, but I don't have the faintest idea on how to search for a so small detail. Can't log with 5.x.x.x on Sphere, so I couldn't verify it's a client issue or not, but probably not. That takes us to...

2) Are there any adverse effects in using the 1.26.4i client? ('tis a bit off-topic, I know) I like my UO being as true to the original T2A era as I can, and while 1.25 is definitely not possible because of the issues I've spoken of in point 1, it's as near as it gets. I've noticed various graphical issues, but other than that, it seems to work.

Along with those... I have a loathing for Razor because of how many people abuse its macros for PvP (I'm not talking of this shard obviously, I haven't started playing seriously yet). Back in T2A there was no Razor, and thus no horribly long macros which over-simplified PvP. Razor is everything that UO was not at the time. So I was a little sad to see it supported on here. But that's my personal preference, I guess.

Thanks for your time :D

Wulver

Re: Guard regions accuracy? / Older Client support question

Post by Wulver »

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I went to brit for the first time from the moongate and was thinking... will I make it to town? Next thing you know I was under guard protection!?!? I agree that I do not remember it so far out there.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

I know that with non-standard clients you will see anomalies and possible impassable zones.

Also iirc the event areas were part of the client, so if the events ever come back you will need the UOSA client to fight in em.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

jbenam

Post by jbenam »

Wulver wrote:Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I went to brit for the first time from the moongate and was thinking... will I make it to town? Next thing you know I was under guard protection!?!? I agree that I do not remember it so far out there.
Guess we need other OSI players at the time to confirm this a bit more ;)
Soma wrote:I know that with non-standard clients you will see anomalies and possible impassable zones.

Also iirc the event areas were part of the client, so if the events ever come back you will need the UOSA client to fight in em.
Dangnabbit, that's a real shame. I guess I could live without the events. Or have two clients. Hmm.

I'll have to try with the Third Dawn 2D too (LBR, too?), and see what happens. I don't like the new fonts and the tooltips introduced in AoS.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Just use the client that you can download from this site? It has no tool tips, no new font. etc.

jbenam

Post by jbenam »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Just use the client that you can download from this site? It has no tool tips, no new font. etc.
Funny, I'm using that and it's just a standard 5.x.x.x client with few addition, but it still keeps the 5.x.x.x fonts and tooltips. And the quick-bar in the upper side too.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

jbenam wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:Just use the client that you can download from this site? It has no tool tips, no new font. etc.
Funny, I'm using that and it's just a standard 5.x.x.x client with few addition, but it still keeps the 5.x.x.x fonts and tooltips. And the quick-bar in the upper side too.
I use it, and I don't have any of that. I don't know what the quickbar is, but if it's that thiing with buttons for paperdoll and stuff, you can turn it off in the options. Also Disable new targeting system or whatever and some other options.

jbenam

Post by jbenam »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
jbenam wrote:
I use it, and I don't have any of that. I don't know what the quickbar is, but if it's that thiing with buttons for paperdoll and stuff, you can turn it off in the options. Also Disable new targeting system or whatever and some other options.
Yes, yes. You're quite right. Now I just need to disable the AoS+ extended statusbar, but I'm sure that Razor can take care of that.

My bad in not noticing that I could disable it (also, I was sure that the fonts and the tooltips were enable, I was probably confusing myself with another UO:KR shard I was playing on).

Thanks for everything, it's a lot better now :mrgreen: I guess that all my current gripes with the client are now resolved. No reason for me to use the 2.x.x.x client except for the character creation screen! :lol:

Pac

Post by Pac »

The row of tiles right along the inside of the fence south of the Moonglow bank was NOT guarded on OSI during T2A. That's why Shards all eventually ended up with GM-placed rows of stones, etc. there.