Gm Items

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Dreadnaught

Gm Items

Post by Dreadnaught »

I remember during this era, at least at the start i believe, the gm crafted items stated "A (Item) crafted by (player name). It didnt have the "An exceptional Item" before it. This could have been in early T2A only, but I definatly remember it being like that. Somthing small and pointless I know, but every little bit helps the dose of nastalgia :).

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Gm Items

Post by Kaivan »

The "Marker's Mark" patch from November 23, 1999 is the beginning of the exceptional items and markers mark for all craft skills. Before that point, no GM marks existed and only Blacksmithing and Tailoring actually had exceptional items. As for the exceptional quality tag, the tag itself was structured exactly as we have it here with standard exceptional items saying "a ... of exceptional quality", and GM items saying "a ... crafted with exceptional quality by ...".
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Kaivan wrote:The "Marker's Mark" patch from November 23, 1999 is the beginning of the exceptional items and markers mark for all craft skills. Before that point, no GM marks existed and only Blacksmithing and Tailoring actually had exceptional items. As for the exceptional quality tag, the tag itself was structured exactly as we have it here with standard exceptional items saying "a ... of exceptional quality", and GM items saying "a ... crafted with exceptional quality by ...".
Do you have any information supporting this? Because I remember them just saying "A (weapon) krafted by (playername)". I could be wrong, i've been wrong before, but this is how I remember them, because I always liked it better then way then later when OSI implemented the "Of exceptional quality crafted by"

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I remember for a short span of time items would show up as

a katana [exceptional] but they quickly changed that, which ended up creating a handful of "rare items" for awhile
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

If I remember correctly gm items said "A (item) crafted by (playername). Then, the introduce the "An item of exception quality crafted by". And the grandfathered in origonal items that didnt say exceptional stayed, but eventually there was a patch that changed all items, even the grandfathered ones to "an item of exceptional quality crafted by".

Faust

Post by Faust »

"GM" crafted items existed long before the t2a publish. In the beginning you could not essentially tell if a smithy weapon was GM made or not. You had to go by the notoriety of the crafter to be positive.

The first introduction of GM crafted "tags" was added November 10th, 1998 a litlte after t2a stated below.
When a grandmaster blacksmith crafts an exceptional item, the item will have a "maker's mark"--its name will have "crafted by (name)" appended to it.
The GM crafted tag system we currently use is the one introduced in late '99 in November stated below.
- In addition to Blacksmiths and Tailors – Bowcrafters, Carpenters and Tinkers will now be able to craft "exceptional" items.
- Exceptional marking works as follows: As an example, an exceptional katana made by a non-Grandmaster smith or made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses not to put his makers mark, will now say, "a katana of exceptional quality". An exceptional katana made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses to place his maker's mark on it will say, "a katana crafted with exceptional quality by..." This will be true for all exceptional items.
- When a Grandmaster creates an exceptional item, a window will appear asking if they wish to place their mark on the item. Selecting "okay" will place the creator’s name on the item when examined (single clicked). Selecting "cancel" will not put the maker's mark on the item.
I presume the key reason that we use this particular tagging system is because we have GM quality items that can be crafted by tailors, bowcrafters, carpenters, etc... If we were to use the old system it would come in conflict with an accuracy stand point and we would have to remove any GM quality bows and staves made by fletchers and carpenters to be consistant with the older system.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

we currently don't have the option if we want to tag it or not. it is automatically tagged with our name if it's exceptional.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Faust

Post by Faust »

That is the case fooka. I have already created the gump and it's ready to go. However, Derrick isn't activating it until an auto mark feature is included. UO Assist had the ability to auto mark the GM crafted weapons when they were made. I'm pretty sure it is possible to run a similiar macro like that in Razor, but it wouldn't exactly be the same thing in a sense.

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Faust wrote:"GM" crafted items existed long before the t2a publish. In the beginning you could not essentially tell if a smithy weapon was GM made or not. You had to go by the notoriety of the crafter to be positive.

The first introduction of GM crafted "tags" was added November 10th, 1998 a litlte after t2a stated below.
When a grandmaster blacksmith crafts an exceptional item, the item will have a "maker's mark"--its name will have "crafted by (name)" appended to it.
The GM crafted tag system we currently use is the one introduced in late '99 in November stated below.
- In addition to Blacksmiths and Tailors – Bowcrafters, Carpenters and Tinkers will now be able to craft "exceptional" items.
- Exceptional marking works as follows: As an example, an exceptional katana made by a non-Grandmaster smith or made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses not to put his makers mark, will now say, "a katana of exceptional quality". An exceptional katana made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses to place his maker's mark on it will say, "a katana crafted with exceptional quality by..." This will be true for all exceptional items.
- When a Grandmaster creates an exceptional item, a window will appear asking if they wish to place their mark on the item. Selecting "okay" will place the creator’s name on the item when examined (single clicked). Selecting "cancel" will not put the maker's mark on the item.
I presume the key reason that we use this particular tagging system is because we have GM quality items that can be crafted by tailors, bowcrafters, carpenters, etc... If we were to use the old system it would come in conflict with an accuracy stand point and we would have to remove any GM quality bows and staves made by fletchers and carpenters to be consistant with the older system.

Yes, you could place the name but the item just had the crafters name, it didnt say "Exceptional" if I remember correctly. It would say "A katana crafted by Hand of god" or whatever.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The old format no longer existed after the '99 GM quality patch. By default the item said "a katana of exceptional quality" as an example, and all the gump did was append "crafted by <name>" to the item. Here is the structure of the format below based on what happens when you don't append the crafter's name and when you do append it.

No Maker's Mark: a <weapon name> of exceptional quality
Maker's Mark: a <weapon name> of exceptional quality <crafted by <Crafter Name>>

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Faust wrote:The old format no longer existed after the '99 GM quality patch. By default the item said "a katana of exceptional quality" as an example, and all the gump did was append "crafted by <name>" to the item. Here is the structure of the format below based on what happens when you don't append the crafter's name and when you do append it.

No Maker's Mark: a <weapon name> of exceptional quality
Maker's Mark: a <weapon name> of exceptional quality <crafted by <Crafter Name>>
Yes but somtime during t2a, it may have been earlier, the item did not have the word exceptional in it. It was "A <weapon name> crafted by <Crafter Name>" this is what im talking about.