Suggestion to guards

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Galm(kB)

Suggestion to guards

Post by Galm(kB) »

I do remember 100% that guards were not gods and did not instant wacked people they hit once and half your health and followed you at running speed and if the player escapd (luckily) than the guard went back home.
Last edited by Galm(kB) on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: FIX GUARDS TO ACCURATE ERA!

Post by RoadKill »

Galm(kB) wrote:I do remember 100% that guards were not gods and did not instant wacked people they hit once and half your health and followed you at running speed and if the player escapd (luckily) than the guard went back home.
How about you dig up some evidence on this, you may find yourself to be incorrect :D
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: FIX GUARDS TO ACCURATE ERA!

Post by Hoots »

Galm(kB) wrote:I do remember 100% that guards were not gods and did not instant wacked people they hit once and half your health and followed you at running speed and if the player escapd (luckily) than the guard went back home.
1. you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to this.
2. what is your hard on about guards? 3 posts about guard zone? really?

Derrick

Re: Suggestion to guards

Post by Derrick »

The evidence does suggest that while guards were pretty much a guaranteed one hit death, it wasn't 100% guaranteed, espcially the lightning bolt, which was added later.

This is something that has been on the list for quite a while.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Derrick wrote:The evidence does suggest that while guards were pretty much a guaranteed one kit death, it wasn't 100% guaranteed, espcially the lightning bolt, which was added later.

This is something that has been on the list for quite a while.
Guards always got you if they responded. There were bugged locations that were not reachable by guards (Vesper bank roof back pre-T2A when you could get there, the basements of some buildings, etc...) However if a guard didn't kill you on the first chomp, a 2nd one followed practically instantly. So either way, I'd say town guards are fine here.

Those Order guards you have all over though, they aren't accurate and should be replaced :D
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Faust

Post by Faust »

Guards actually were not always "gods" if you want to put it this way. However, it was possible to survive when a guard swung at you until they implemented the lightning attack later in UOR. There is one exception to this rule though. If a guard hit you than you would be dropped instantly. The reason you could survive from a guard swing is because all skills that guards have had a value of "1d10+90" to their skills. This means that guards do in fact not always hit their target and had a chance to miss. Also, on a second note guard stats had a value of 900 str, dex, and int. They swing weapons like a machine gun and with the 900 str they have a damage bonus that is very substantial. There is no way someone could live from a hit with a damage bonus that high. That is a guarenteed +90 damage not taking into account of the weapon damage or the skill bonus upon being hit. The lightning attack made it instant death because it could not miss the target unlike the halberd swing. Guards also did not start "generating" more guards until later after the UOR publish too.

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

While I remember guards being insta kills. I do recall being able to kill them if they were out of town limits. Like if they hit someone at a gate for instance and stepped out of guardzone they could be killed.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

One of the things that I recall about guards before the implementation of the instant kill lightning bolt is the fact that if guards were called on you, two guards, who were already somewhere in town, would appear near you and walk towards you. During the late T2A days and early UOR days when this was still true, people on better connections could actually outrun the guards. As a result they added in the instant kill lightning bolt to force players to actually get guard whacked when they committed a criminal action. The only exception to this older method was the fact that guards would not call guards if directly attacked. The assumption is that guards could defend themselves from attack, and by attacking a guard you were inviting death. This of course led to the abuse of guard killing in Moonglow near the bank with an archer which later changed the landscape of Moonglow. Finally, during T2A and early UOR, guards existed in the various guard outposts of the world. Since guards were handled in the same way outside of guards as they were inside guards, any animal that was killed by an outpost guard immediately disappeared from the area, and the guards themselves were not directly targetable by monsters, nor would they target monsters themselves (they would also not respond to the guards command).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

While we can be positive our guards behavior is not era correct, and therefore should be changed, I'm a little nervous about making this change without thorough testing, and hence why it's been "on the list" so long.

Any feedback or recolections anyone can provide to verify guard movement speed, and behavior when blocked would be much appreciated.

Faust

Post by Faust »

During the early pre-t2a days guards could be manipulated by height and blocking situations. Here is a picture that shows this process in action http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/screens9/1186.jpg. What OSI did to solve this situation was to give guards the ability to teleport to their individual upon being generated and if the target was 10 tiles away, guard was blocked, or the guard lost line of sight from their target. The speed of the guards on the UO Demo is extemely fast. I would estimate in the range of an active speed of 0.1-0.2 in RunUO terms Derrick. The guard system used in the UO Demo is probably the same or relatively the same one used during the entire t2a era.