Dispell Field not closing both ends of a Gate

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
SirLanceAlittle
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Dispell Field not closing both ends of a Gate

Post by SirLanceAlittle »

REPORTED ISSUE: Dispell Field not closing both ends of a Gate

ISSUE DETAILS: Nearly a year ago, I discovered, quite by accident, that both sides of a Gate were NOT being closed when one casts Dispell Field on it. A few months ago, I was looking through Patch Notes and and saw Patch 40: Post subject: Patch 40 - June 24, 2008: This was one of several changes made in Patch 40: * Dispell Field now dispels both sides of a MoonGate. This does seem to be, once again, broken.

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS: Windows XP, etc.

STEPS TO RECREATE: Mark a rune, then step a few steps away and cast Gate using that newly marked rune. Once the two gates appear, cast Dispell Field and target either gate. The gate you target will "pop" (vanish) leaving the other one unchanged. Now, walk over and enter the remaining gate. You will appear where the "popped" gate had been.

EXPECTED RESULTS: When one opens a gate to allow a few friends, or yes, even a hoard of guildmates, to come to his/her location, one expects BOTH gates to be closed when he/she casts Dispell Field on the gate at his/her location.

DATE REPORTED: 06/06/2012

DATE STATUS CHANGED: (?)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Dispell Field not closing both ends of a Gate

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

they patched it again I think in 2010 where it dispelled only one side.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Archaic is right. Dispelling 1 side of a gate is accurate. There are numerous threads on this, some recent, that you can search for.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

nightshark wrote:Archaic is right. Dispelling 1 side of a gate is accurate. There are numerous threads on this, some recent, that you can search for.
^ viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8362&start=30
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

SirLanceAlittle
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:they patched it again I think in 2010 where it dispelled only one side.
I'm afraid you may be mistaken. Of all posts contained within Patch Notes, only Post subject: Patch 40 - June 24, 2008: where * Dispell Field now dispels both sides of a MoonGate made a specific reference and change by Derrick to how Dispell Field worked. It is obviouse that a change was made, however, it appears to me that the change back to pre-Patch 40 was an error.

I looked through the initial post for ALL patches made in 2010 and none made a direct reference to a change in how the Dispell Field spell was to work. Only Patch 138 - Oct 30, 2010:, Spells: section made this obscure reference: * Cannot cast field spells over other fields, teleporters, or moongates, which is what I believe archaicsubrosa77 was referring to.

Thus, it is my opinion that the Dispell Field spell fixed in Patch 40 was somehow erroneously "undone" sometime after June 24, 2008. I am in hopes Derrick will soon weigh-in on this issue one way or the other. Besides, regardless of what any of the rest of us think or say, Derrick has the proverbial Last Word.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Lance, do yourself a favour, click the link squall presented and read Batlin's post dated Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 pm
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

nightshark wrote:Lance, do yourself a favour, click the link squall presented and read Batlin's post dated Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 pm
i knew this sounded farmilar apparently he didn't listen to us the first time viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39297
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

SirLanceAlittle
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

nightshark wrote:Lance, do yourself a favour, click the link squall presented and read Batlin's post dated Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 pm
I did. And I found this, the last post made on that particular topic and it was made by Derrick. Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28 pm:
Derrick wrote:
Wernham Hogg wrote:I know for sure that during some ERA i used to gate to my house, then dispel the gate when i went through it to make sure people didnt follow.

I also remember clearly how we used to dispel gates coming to LL-rooom so the gater couldnt enter.

So people saying that they've never dispelled on both sides are wrong.

Im 100% sure on this.

Could be it was pret2a or very early UOR.
This is my memory too and it was put in initially on what I belived to be a very very solid memory. However, I'm definately starting to doubt myself based on what has been presented.
You do understand that items under Discussion | Suggestions & Erra Accuracy are just that, "discussions" and "suggestions." The point that seems to elude you is that if Derrick had intended to change how Dispell Field worked on player-cast Gates back to pre-Patch 40, he would have done so in a Patch and listed it under News | Patch Notes.

I simply made a post of a possible bug. The facts are quite simple: A change was once made (Pacth 40) to how Disell Field works on player-cast Gates. Then, at an unknown later date, that change was unmade (reversed), either knowingly or by error.

I will not debate this further. Derrick is the only opinion that counts here.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

And Derrick is smart enough not to base things off his, or anyone else's memory. But rather, patch notes, the demo, what exists on OSI now and written player accounts from '99. Hence why it was patched to be like it is currently.
You do understand that items under Discussion | Suggestions & Erra Accuracy are just that, "discussions" and "suggestions." The point that seems to elude you is that if Derrick had intended to change how Dispell Field worked on player-cast Gates back to pre-Patch 40, he would have done so in a Patch and listed it under News | Patch Notes.
Here, this took me 5 seconds to search for: Patch 108 - July, 20, 2009

SirLanceAlittle
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Nightshark, looks like we both messed up. Do you see it yet? The magic spell in-question here is Dispel Field, but throughout the Forums, it is also misspelled as Dispell Field. I used "dispell" in my searches and thus never saw Patch 108. Perhaps, if I had not been so hellbent on defending my possition, and had you not been so eager to correct me without solid facts (which you only just discovered), we'd of both saved ourselves the embarrasment of making asses of ourselves.

I still hope Derrick will re-visit this issue.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:shock: :roll: :? :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

While doing some research on this it appears that once you went through the gate no one else could follow until you moved off of that spot. Review: Oct. 20th 1999
> Gate for strategic strikes.

Gating into a "hot" area is a bad idea. On the "hot" side, 6 or so
pk-types, a mixed group of warriors and mages, get to see a hostile gate
for warning. Surround gate, so that each person through can't get out
of the way, thus blocking the gate for the next (of course, those people
that attempt to move through the gate simultaneously do make it through
together, but rarely more than 2)
. Mage-type dispels the gate on the
"hot" side to prevent retreats. Those 6 pk-types get to kill each
person through the gate one by one, interrupting attempts at
teleporting/recalling away, easily taking on as many opponents without
taking a single casualty.

You want a strategic strike? Give everybody recall runes marked in a
spread pattern on one screen. Everybody recalls simultaneously. No
gate showing up to warn, nobody blocks each other, and everybody gets
there at the same time.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... bdcc4eb003

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Here is more evidence on this subject...March 4th 2000
If the gate was dispelled on the other side, you can still enter your
gate, but couldn't come back through the same gate because it wouldn't
be there. And you'd noticed if someone dispelled your opened gate.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... d3d6283915

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”