YO DERRICK WIPE IT BRO!!!

Topics related to Second Age
rwuser

Re: YO DERRICK WIPE IT BRO!!!

Post by rwuser »

Hemperor; current IPv4 addresses are too easy to change and as mention before; proxy through.

The idea is not to completely remove the multi account possibility but reduce it to a 0.0001/etc percentage so that the users of it are easily noticed among those that arn't.

Credit cards can yes, be shared between buddies; but maybe a fusion of IP addresses and Unique real world ID such as credit cards would be the way to go and push the percentage of multi account players to the absolute minimum.

And the truth that there is a possibility of such a system costing money is a problem, as mentioned by ultra; which is a shame really and dampens the whole possibility . But it is an interesting implement that I am confident that could be done with the fewest of practical issues and possible work arounds. I am sure it wouldnt stop major hacker types, but theres not much you can do about those types anyways...

So I think that its worth noting: There are a few things else that can be done to provide more layers of assurance for this idea:

- Switch to IPv6 for client/server (this can be easily done with a proxy dll without legal exe modification issue) for more resolute network identification.
- Provide a custom frontend program that connects to UOSA through an added layer of checks and probing mechanisms and synchronize with the server.

Despite, even if such a system were designed and found to be almost fool-proof (except to a very gifted minority) I doubt Derrick would take it, I am going to guess that he would rather people learn that only by controlling themselves will they find the "magical" UO that they once experienced.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Maybe make household share one account?
Also maybe give the first account free and your 2nd and 3rd accounts cost $25 each
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Calador

Post by Calador »

Kabal wrote:Maybe make household share one account?
This won't work. Some of us have family in the same household we like to game with.

I find it amazing that people are suggesting this because 'they' might be bored. As Chum says there is no reason to be bored in UO, simpy adapt the way you play. If you can't or don't want to then have a break for a while.

I think it is fairly disrespectful to the people who have worked hard be they staff or land/welath barons to even suggest a wipe in honesty.

Cheers,

Cal.
'Calador fell instantly to an onslaught of halberd and energy bolts from fully grown, nude men who spoke as children and wore masks crafted from the heads of deer.'

Rykker

Post by Rykker »

SaibotMK wrote:It is asinine to even think of progressing a character from start to 7x gm manually without macros. We are not young anymore, UO is not the fresh new "oh my god!" MMO any more. Some of us are not going to sacrifice our job, our relationships, our other hobbies (our life) for this game even as much as we love it.
This is my argument in a nutshell right here. As much as I love UO, I would have never started on this shard 47 days ago if AFK razor macroing was not allowed.

I work over 40 hours a week, go to the gym after work, am engaged, and have 2 dogs to take care of. There was no way in hell I was going to spend 3-4 hours a night after work manually casting spells on myself or what not trying to raise my magery and resist. Being able to macro lets me build up my character more quickly while spending time doing RL stuff that not everyone can just set aside. Now, the 1-2 hours per night I have that I Can dedicate to UO can be spent PvPing/interacting with other players in a way that I want to, without the monotony of manually raising every skill.

Faust

Post by Faust »

rouss wrote:Just a thought: what if we tie game account to you mobile number? Like, after the first login you recieve text message with your activation code. This way we could limit the number of accounts per person.
This would not be a viable solution. There are free text messaging apps that simply assign a random number to you. This could be done numerous times.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Rykker wrote:This is my argument in a nutshell right here. As much as I love UO, I would have never started on this shard 47 days ago if AFK razor macroing was not allowed.
My problem is not with unattended macroin, its how fast and efficienct razor makes macroing, I think it should take a month or 2 or 3 to make a GM tamer not a week.

LKP

Post by LKP »

rwuser wrote:The game isnt that important that macroing should be needed in anyone's mind.
Pardon me, but I don't follow this logic at all. I think we've established that the game is what we make of it and we set our own goals. My goal is to get to the PvP and PKing as quickly as possible, using a tank mage. For this I have three sub goals:

1. Characters capable of successfully PvPing. This means at least 5x and ideally 7x GM. I want two such characters, so I can go red with one and use the other while the first is recovering from stat loss or I'd rather do some dueling or order/chaos fights. Mules would also be desirable to keep my fighters well-equipped.

2. Some sort of house. My PK needs some place to hide out and restock and, as town isn't an option, a house is the only choice.

3. A modest stock of PvP supplies.

I'm a 14-year veteran of this game and in addition to Catskills and Siege Perilous I must have established myself on nearly a dozen free shards over the years: Blitzkrieg, IPY, Angel Island, two Novus Opiate versions, UOGamers Hybrid, UOGamers Divinity, and several others. Probably some I can't even remember. The point is that I've worked up dozens of characters. By not powergaming at all and taking stat loss once or twice, it took me 18 months to GM resist on my first character on OSI. I have no intention of ever doing it the hard way again. I'm not going to learn anything by repeating the same mundane tasks ad infinitum by hand.

tl;dr. In short, my goal is to maximize my enjoyment from this game. I don't enjoy the grind, and I need established characters to maximize my enjoyment. Why shouldn't I macro to skip the parts I don't enjoy?

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

LKP wrote:
rwuser wrote:The game isnt that important that macroing should be needed in anyone's mind.
Pardon me, but I don't follow this logic at all. I think we've established that the game is what we make of it and we set our own goals. My goal is to get to the PvP and PKing as quickly as possible, using a tank mage. For this I have three sub goals:

1. Characters capable of successfully PvPing. This means at least 5x and ideally 7x GM. I want two such characters, so I can go red with one and use the other while the first is recovering from stat loss or I'd rather do some dueling or order/chaos fights. Mules would also be desirable to keep my fighters well-equipped.

2. Some sort of house. My PK needs some place to hide out and restock and, as town isn't an option, a house is the only choice.

3. A modest stock of PvP supplies.

I'm a 14-year veteran of this game and in addition to Catskills and Siege Perilous I must have established myself on nearly a dozen free shards over the years: Blitzkrieg, IPY, Angel Island, two Novus Opiate versions, UOGamers Hybrid, UOGamers Divinity, and several others. Probably some I can't even remember. The point is that I've worked up dozens of characters. By not powergaming at all and taking stat loss once or twice, it took me 18 months to GM resist on my first character on OSI. I have no intention of ever doing it the hard way again. I'm not going to learn anything by repeating the same mundane tasks ad infinitum by hand.

tl;dr. In short, my goal is to maximize my enjoyment from this game. I don't enjoy the grind, and I need established characters to maximize my enjoyment. Why shouldn't I macro to skip the parts I don't enjoy?
You'd make a lot more friends and enemies

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

We have long held the belief that as time progresses, the elements that were grandfathered in since the beginning will either become super rare or disappear.

Castles that are full of junk will disappear as their owners decide to take a break from UO (it happens to everyone).

If we change a policy, it might take about 6 months before the effects really start to take notice, but time always allows them to take hold.

Due to these above factors, it is unlikely that we will ever wipe the shard.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The credit card idea would never happen. That opens up a whole world of trouble for Derrick I don't think he would want because he would essentially be storing personal information which is a liability to himself and his family if anything ever happened to anyones card and he became suspect by a credit cards fraud department. He would need secure servers to store the information on which costs a good amount of money not to mention many other security precautions such as starting an LLC to cover his butt if anything ever did happen. It's more of a mess than it's worth.

Sure, people could proxy addresses for another account, but there are ways to figure out who is on via proxy server, even if not right away and anyone who is caught should be dealt with harshly.

None the less, a shard wipe would be a terrible thing because we would lose many of the dedicated players who have been here for a long time. I would never support something like that.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Shouldn't it be a shard smelt?

rouss

Post by rouss »

Braden wrote:We have long held the belief that as time progresses, the elements that were grandfathered in since the beginning will either become super rare or disappear.

Castles that are full of junk will disappear as their owners decide to take a break from UO (it happens to everyone).
Junk will disappear you say.. What about quite a few players that observe IDOCs completely unattended and later loot this stuff, pulling every gypsy shit like battery of auto archers and EUO explosion tossers just to get hold of these pixels? Because of this flaw you can't say it disappears, it rather accumulates in said people's castles. The actual amount of decaying stuff is really small and diminishing.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Faust

Post by Faust »

I am assuming Braden is probably talking mostly about grandfathered situations like keyrings on steps/porches, pre-patch non-decaying courtyards, etc... all of this type of stuff will slowly be non-existent over time. However, the stuff you mentioned that is stored will probably persist until the end becoming extremely rare over time.

rouss

Post by rouss »

Faust wrote:I am assuming Braden is probably talking mostly about grandfathered situations like keyrings on steps/porches, pre-patch non-decaying courtyards, etc... all of this type of stuff will slowly be non-existent over time. However, the stuff you mentioned that is stored will probably persist until the end becoming extremely rare over time.
Define "rare". How do you tell rare and non-rare apart? By amount? I would argue that the amount of, say, neon sandles is more or less the same it was in 2010. Userbase increased so that the number of "rares" per person has gone up? Hardly.

Prices gone up, though - because of the speculation (surely, this GF'ed mess skewed the graph, but prices were increasing in the meantime, from deal to deal). And I'm not even talking about other non-comsumable rares that haven't been affected by patches. Speculation (on par with everincreasing inflation), that's what defines everything here these days (like on most (free)shards, possibly).

I'd say it safe to assume that nothing really valuable (or "rare") decays in the amount of statistical significance.
Last edited by rouss on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Faust

Post by Faust »

There really is no specific defintion for something being rare outisde of uniques and consumables like neon dyes that will eventually be non-existent without some sort of replenishment.