Hirelings

Moderator: Support Moderators

geoff

Hirelings

Post by geoff »

I'm trying to GM in swordsmanship, so per the new player guide I hired a hireling and tried to whack on him to gain. However, for the life of me, I cannot get him to stop attacking me back.

I've tried both of the following:

1) Run off screen and hide and then come back
2) Box the hireling in and run 12 paces or so away and wait

It seems in each instance that the timeout for last targeting me lasts longer than the last targeting for me to the hireling. That is to say, when I run off screen and hide, and then come back, I no longer auto-attack but the hireling does.

Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm missing a major step or something here.

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Hirelings

Post by Pehiko »

Hi geoff and Welcome to UOSA!

Here how it's done:

Hire the NPC, then Go in war mode (click it so you stay in war don't use TAB), then type: All Guard Me (NPC will turn grey), attack him, Hide or run a few screen away so he stop following you, Go back to the NPC and type: All Stop, All Follow Me and voila!

The NPC will be grey to you and you will auto-attack him.
He will be blue to the other, he wont attack you and he will follow you.

Hope it help!

Pehiko

geoff

Post by geoff »

Pehiko,

Thank you so much. Your insructions worked perfectly.

However, I have one concern. I went through about 800 bandages and didn't even gain 0.1%. I'm at 73.4%, but 70.5% when I tick "Show real". Have I reached the cap for using hirelings? Is there something I did wrong?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

You should still be gaining. Sometimes skills work like that, you'll hit a wall, and after a while it will breeze through the next 5 points. Keep at it, you'll be fine.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Pehiko »

Like Pirul said sometime you hit a skill wall.

But be sure of a fews thing:

1 - The skill Arrow is UP
2 - If you are at 700 points "show Real" you need to have some skill down since 700 points if the cap
3 - make sure you are not "clipping" the bandage timer. Keep in mind that healing yourself take 12 seconds and healing someone else 5 or 6 i can't remember.

All you have to do is to get to 80, past that its a pieces of cake macroing the skill on a ghost.

Don't lose hope :)

geoff

Post by geoff »

One thousand or so band-aids later, I realized I had hit the skill cap from macro'ing skills for the purpose of stat gain. So my character was at a complete lock in skill growth. D'oh! I "down arrowed" a few unnecessary skills and my combat ratings started gaining nearly immediately.

Thank you Pehiko!

geoff

Post by geoff »

Wow, cross-post -- haha. Thanks for the follow up.

What do you mean by "macroing the skill on a ghost" ?

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

geoff wrote:What do you mean by "macroing the skill on a ghost" ?
I think he's talking about healing. You're training swordsmanship, right?
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

geoff

Post by geoff »

Yes. I'm still not sure how a ghost would come into play though.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

geoff wrote:Yes. I'm still not sure how a ghost would come into play though.
If you were macroing healing, you would gain it using a bandage on a ghost (in an attempt to rez it) once you get past 80.0 healing skill.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

geoff

Post by geoff »

Ah! I understand. I assume now that would happen after swordsmanship reaches GM status.

Thanks.

Soleil

Post by Soleil »

Pehiko wrote:Hi geoff and Welcome to UOSA!

Here how it's done:

Hire the NPC, then Go in war mode (click it so you stay in war don't use TAB), then type: All Guard Me (NPC will turn grey), attack him, Hide or run a few screen away so he stop following you, Go back to the NPC and type: All Stop, All Follow Me and voila!

The NPC will be grey to you and you will auto-attack him.
He will be blue to the other, he wont attack you and he will follow you.

Hope it help!

Pehiko
I just tried this and it didn't work at all for me. My char doesn't auto attack for some reason. What am I dong wrong? :-/

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

I do it in a little bit different order: get something between you and the NPC (like in the Brit Tavern south of the west bank, the bar is a good place for this) such that you aren't next to them (otherwise when you attack, they will attack back). Say All Guard me, hide, and then attack them. Then walk up to them and you should be hitting them while they don't hit you back.

I believe your problem might be that according to the other instructions, you attack and THEN hide, and I believe that when you hide using Razor, it automatically takes you out of war mode so you don't attack them.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Return to “New Player Help”