Instantly teleporting through gates.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Border Patrol

Re: Instantly teleporting through gates.

Post by Border Patrol »

Citizens!,

Could it be possible that delay was due to most people having slower connections then AND the fact that you were crossing into a new server line/server zone?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Border Patrol wrote:Citizens!,

Could it be possible that delay was due to most people having slower connections then AND the fact that you were crossing into a new server line/server zone?
There was certainly a delay in crossing server boundaries, this might possibly be a key to the issue. After the destination sub-server accepted you, did the origin server check to see if you were still on the gate? This possibility would likely be in the server core, and not in the moongate script.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

We need to test this out on OSI, and be sure to cast a moongate in the same server boundary to see how fast you go through.

I doubt OSI is like UOSA, where you can (by pure chance) go through a moongate when running full speed, not stopping and with no lag.

This is pretty bad bug, it makes it way too easy to moongate people, even good players fall for it because there's no way around it being pure chance.
There was certainly a delay in crossing server boundaries, this might possibly be a key to the issue.
The delay wasn't there if you double clicked a moongate though. Or barely, it was a noticeable delay only when standing on the gate itself and not clicking. I believe OSI had it like this so it wasn't too easy for newbies to moongated. That way they had like 1-1.5 seconds to move off of it before traveling. No one would double click a moongate by accident, so that's why it was a instant travel.
Last edited by Halbu on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I've opened a new EA account (14 day trial). Currently I do not have the most up to date client, so I am not able to test this right now. If someone else would like to test, that has a new client, please do so.

Account name : tunabox
Password : fishyfishy

You can download a classic client here... http://www.uoherald.com/downloads.

Please post if you decide to test this out. Otherwise I will download the client later and test myself.

Venom

Post by Venom »

I can tell you without testing, there was always a delay... you had to sit on moongate for it to work, it wasnt like running through a door.

It used to feel like lag but it wasnt, and it would puff a cloud of smoke also.

Venom : Bard - Mage - S3X
Venomous : Rogue - Fighter - S3X

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

I can tell you without testing, there was always a delay... you had to sit on moongate for it to work, it wasnt like running through a door.

Wasn't really a 'delay' as such. Wasn't it like a confirmation timer that went off?
Like you had to stay in the moongate for a certain set of time to confirm that you want to go through. Moving off it would cancel it and you gad to start over again.

Or am I talking crap? <- can't remember how OSI did stuff.

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

LeonZA wrote:

Wasn't really a 'delay' as such. Wasn't it like a confirmation timer that went off?
Like you had to stay in the moongate for a certain set of time to confirm that you want to go through. Moving off it would cancel it and you gad to start over again.
Yes, it worked like that.

I remember being a newb and discovering that I could double click a moongate to travel faster, which was a good thing to know when running into one at the last second.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rose wrote:I've opened a new EA account (14 day trial). Currently I do not have the most up to date client, so I am not able to test this right now. If someone else would like to test, that has a new client, please do so.

Please post if you decide to test this out. Otherwise I will download the client later and test myself.
Thanks much. I completely failed to get the client to patch up properly this morning; but am very much anticipating hearing some results.

The most important finding will be whether or not it's instant when gating within the same subserver.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

*casts An Corp*

So did anyone get a chance to test the moongates on OSI yet?

I will try to find more information on this in the mean time, thanks for all your help.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I tested. It was a short test. I cast gate travel in brit, to brit, and I was able to run (on horseback) though the gate with about a 95% chance of going though. Unfortunately (for PK's prone to town gates) it looks like UOSA has it right. If anything, EA has a higher chance of you going though a gate while running full tilt.

I did not check between server boundaries.. I was not really sure how exactly to do that...

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Rose wrote:I've opened a new EA account (14 day trial).

You are brave, Godspeed

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Rose wrote:I tested. It was a short test. I cast gate travel in brit, to brit, and I was able to run (on horseback) though the gate with about a 95% chance of going though. Unfortunately (for PK's prone to town gates) it looks like UOSA has it right. If anything, EA has a higher chance of you going though a gate while running full tilt.

I did not check between server boundaries.. I was not really sure how exactly to do that...
According to UOAM, some of the server lines are just south of the Brit moongate and a few tiles before the mountains to the north of Brit.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A server line should exist just West of the Minoc moongate running N/S. At least it did on Great Lakes.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

UOAM is the best indicator for knowing where all the server lines exist.