Save Times and Unused accounts

Topics related to Second Age
Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Save Times and Unused accounts

Post by Mirage »

The length of the saves isn't the issue IMO, just the frequency of them.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

rwuser

Post by rwuser »

On a side note: Frequency of saves always bothered me from an immersion perspective. I always felt like I was "kicked" out of the "story" I was taking part in when they happened. Its like; "me is trying to enjoy game.... BAM, reality: wut? :( " .

Godsend

Post by Godsend »

Derrick wrote:Smart spawning doesn't help up very much as the NPC's that are in the world represent only a pittance of the item/mobile count. The big trouble with the Smart Spawn though (last i looked at it) is that it doesn't save what a creature may have looted from players, although that could be fixed.
I thought there were about 141k mobiles, each with backpack contents. But still, if they don't represent a large problem, wouldn't many small fixes add up to a noticeable one?

I was also curious, couldn't the ability for spawners to detect the proximity of players enable a grid to be formed so that regions of the map that haven't been used by players between saves be omitted from being resaved again by sending a message to the system?

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

Godsend wrote:
Derrick wrote:Smart spawning doesn't help up very much as the NPC's that are in the world represent only a pittance of the item/mobile count. The big trouble with the Smart Spawn though (last i looked at it) is that it doesn't save what a creature may have looted from players, although that could be fixed.
I thought there were about 141k mobiles, each with backpack contents. But still, if they don't represent a large problem, wouldn't many small fixes add up to a noticeable one?

I was also curious, couldn't the ability for spawners to detect the proximity of players enable a grid to be formed so that regions of the map that haven't been used by players between saves be omitted from being resaved again by sending a message to the system?
I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that if we could do this we could do server lines as well (perhaps first?)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Yeah, something like this could probably be done. The biggest gain could probably be obtained from saving by map region, and locking movement between these sections during the save; but that's a big project.

The easiest noticible gain may be from a hardware upgrade, which is still under consideration.

Thanks guys!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

rouss

Post by rouss »

I'd prefer just doubling (or even tripling) the time between saves. Man, even once in 4 hours would be alright.

Today, server hardware is a huge cost center and probably goes in thousands of dollars per month. Is it really worth it?
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Someone mentioned a server wipe, and really if the UO community as a whole not the UOSA community alone knew that UOSA was having a server wipe... Everyone would jump on it. They know UOSA rocks. I am not saying do it... I am just imagining it. That would suck unless it was just items and housing. It would be like everyone got automatically stranded on a deserted island and total anarchy would ensue at the get go trying to get up gold and trying to secure spots :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

rouss

Post by rouss »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Someone mentioned a server wipe, and really if the UO community as a whole not the UOSA community alone knew that UOSA was having a server wipe... Everyone would jump on it. They know UOSA rocks.
I'm with you on this one. Would be even better if Derrick put era-accurate skill gain system.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

so.you.want.to.be...

Post by so.you.want.to.be... »

rouss wrote:Would be even better if Derrick put era-accurate skill gain system.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this statement.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

so.you.want.to.be... wrote:
rouss wrote:Would be even better if Derrick put era-accurate skill gain system.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this statement.
We don't really have the complete code on this, but we do have a lot of it. [Thanks Batlin]

Getting way off topic though. Really the topic is closed, we're not going to be delteing anything at this time, but i may have stated this on the last three pages of this thread.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."