Why is there a lack of GMs?

Topics related to Second Age
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Why is there a lack of GMs?

Post by chumbucket »

Candidates for GM:

1. Blackfoot - Total kiss ass, loves Trammel.
2. Mr Sinister - Has the ability to create items when needed.
3. Pristiq - Never plays even when he is playing, lots of free time.
4. Matron de Winter - Beloved by all.
5. Ledouche - Beloved by more than all.
6. Telamon - Shard owes him.
7. Maahes - He might make a good addition.

Vote early, vote often, UOSA!

In all seriousness, we don't need more GMs!

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

chumbucket wrote:Candidates for GM:

1. Blackfoot - Total kiss ass, loves Trammel.
2. Mr Sinister - Has the ability to create items when needed.
3. Pristiq - Never plays even when he is playing, lots of free time.
4. Matron de Winter - Beloved by all.
5. Ledouche - Beloved by more than all.
6. Telamon - Shard owes him.
7. Maahes - He might make a good addition.

Vote early, vote often, UOSA!

In all seriousness, we don't need more GMs!
you forgot to put my name in the list!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Sorry, Darkwing but you haven't done anything recently on the forums to show that you are a better fit than archaicsubrosa.

Also, check of this forum karma comment:
Jackshephard wrote:-1 by jackshephard on Tue May 08, 2012 12:21 pm
thinks telemud could be a gm
Telemud! ShepHARD! I love this guy!

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Telamon wrote:

99% of the problems on this server are created by players and can be solved by players.
Agreed. But how do we solve that 1% aka the Telamon problem :lol:
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

jackshephard
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jackshephard »

You all are very right. We have a great staff. I bet if you would have asked any gm if they thought they would make a good gm a year before they were one, they would say no. Simply because they know what big shoes they are to fill, but they fill them every day.

One possible solution to the ORINGINAL problem, the author wanted more events. So we should have more player run events, and GMs may want to help in smaller facets.

chumbucket wrote:Sorry, Darkwing but you haven't done anything recently on the forums to show that you are a better fit than archaicsubrosa.

Also, check of this forum karma comment:
Jackshephard wrote:-1 by jackshephard on Tue May 08, 2012 12:21 pm
thinks telemud could be a gm
Telemud! ShepHARD! I love this guy!
originally was a type o, but i went with it. =]
Dharma Standard Company; Namaste
All Resources Gathered Legally

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There is no lack of GM's. Many days the pages aren't even in the double digits, you guys (players) run a fine world, and we're happy to stay out of it unless there is a true emergency, in which case, we're usually pretty easy to reach. Fortunately, I can count the true emergencies that I've needed to respond to on UOSA over the last 4.5 years on one hand.

Players take the credit for the world and community on Second Age, not the staff.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I hereby take credit.

Also, propose event ideas that need some minor GM assistance and they might be willing to help! Players should run more events!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

chum did it :/
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

The previous two shards I played on had more than a few corrupt GM's - and I know a few players that will back me up on this call. Let me say that a lower amount of interaction from the staff, the better.

As it stands now, bugs are fixed within a few days, culprits are banned for exploiting these, pages are consistently answered, and IRC usually does the rest.

Freeshards will always have problems with corrupt GM's, however UOSA is one of the best in terms of mitigating the damage, and repairing any issues caused. I think one of the reasons UOSA has thrived so well for a freeshard is due to the quality of the staff.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Derrick wrote:Many days the pages aren't even in the double digits, you guys (players) run a fine world, and we're happy to stay out of it unless there is a true emergency, in which case, we're usually pretty easy to reach.
What usually prevents me from paging a GM is when I submit the report and it says no GMs are online. The other times that are frustrating are when the GM page queue is 2 people, but there's no response in over a half an hour (I'd prefer GMs just stay logged out so it says no GMs are even available versus a blind queue hoping someone shows up.)

As of late, I've lost a ship I couldn't recall or board as well as a pure mare (plus my loot) to a bugged chest inside another player's home that GMs weren't around or didn't respond well enough to assist with. More of a "shit out of luck" moment I've come to just accept.

Derrick runs an amazing shard and I wouldn't find myself playing anywhere else, but at the same time its really difficult to get assistance when you really need it (especially for us late night/morning players.)
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Hicha wrote: What usually prevents me from paging a GM is when I submit the report and it says no GMs are online. The other times that are frustrating are when the GM page queue is 2 people, but there's no response in over a half an hour (I'd prefer GMs just stay logged out so it says no GMs are even available versus a blind queue hoping someone shows up.)

As of late, I've lost a ship I couldn't recall or board as well as a pure mare (plus my loot) to a bugged chest inside another player's home that GMs weren't around or didn't respond well enough to assist with. More of a "shit out of luck" moment I've come to just accept.

Derrick runs an amazing shard and I wouldn't find myself playing anywhere else, but at the same time its really difficult to get assistance when you really need it (especially for us late night/morning players.)
Just like back in the days of UO on OSI, we answer pages without having to be logged in. Therefore, I am surprised you even get the message "no GMs are available". This allows us to balance real-life and answering UO pages.

Regarding your mare, boat, etc., I would need more information, but its probably best if you e-mail Derrick directly than outline it in this thread.

Regarding getting assistance, if you have a general question, policy question, or technical concern; I am usually around during the night hours US time. If its an account issue, you are better off e-mailing Derrick than leaving a page in the queue.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Braden wrote:Just like back in the days of UO on OSI, we answer pages without having to be logged in. Therefore, I am surprised you even get the message "no GMs are available". This allows us to balance real-life and answering UO pages.

Regarding your mare, boat, etc., I would need more information, but its probably best if you e-mail Derrick directly than outline it in this thread.

Regarding getting assistance, if you have a general question, policy question, or technical concern; I am usually around during the night hours US time. If its an account issue, you are better off e-mailing Derrick than leaving a page in the queue.
I suppose my post could be construed as a rant, and I appreciate your concern in regards to the pixels I've lost, but in the end I'd rather just make the quick GM page attempt, and if there's no response, just take the loss than to throw another issue on top of Derrick's full plate of drama and problems he probably deals with on a daily basis.

Its a free shard and I wouldn't expect anyone to be available full circle for support. Now if it were subscription based...
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

I tried paging a GM a couple times when I caught resource gathering macroers red handed but both times it took over 10 minutes so I just killed the perpetrator and continued on my merry way. I probably should have waited to make this a long term solution but justice waits for no one, NO ONE!
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

WiseOne wrote:I tried paging a GM a couple times when I caught resource gathering macroers red handed but both times it took over 10 minutes so I just killed the perpetrator and continued on my merry way. I probably should have waited to make this a long term solution but justice waits for no one, NO ONE!
Pages are logged along with the location of the player that paged, we often follow up on this stuff even after the page is canceled. If someone is AFK gathering, we'll usually find him later.

In terms of coverage, as an example it's currently 12:10pm The shard has been up for almost 5 hours, and we've yet to recive a single in game help request. It's great that players solve their own problems.

If you lose a mare, report the bug; we're not going to be able to give you a new one anyway.
I'm not sure why you couldn't board the ship, but this is not likely something we could help with either beyond giving advice. It's important to us that you report problems or bugs, but we cannot have a team of bored staff sitting on their hands waiting for something to happen. Boredom leads to meddling, and there's no need of it. And truely as few of us there are, we're pretty available.

I belive the original OP was suggestive that we need maybe another staff to run staff-led RP events and the like. That's something that's under (cautious) consideration.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."