Dark nights is *no joke*

Topics related to Second Age
Gregor De Gar

Dark nights is *no joke*

Post by Gregor De Gar »

I remember it being a bit darker, but this is truly pitch black! Is this accurate? It's oddly appealing...
Attachments
darknights.png
darknights.png (241.65 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Border Patrol

Re: Dark nights is *no joke*

Post by Border Patrol »

Citizen!,

I have tons of nighteyes gear for dirt cheap. Check it out!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35780&p=335209#p335209

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

The light level seems right to me.
It's kinda sad there isn't any fix for those light hacks and I think Razor comes with it pre-ticked already :(

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Yes, this is the number one Razor feature I want to see forced off!

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

I would love to see negotiate features with razor put in. I know people can still "cheat the system", but I still think its best to be as realistic as possible regardless of the ease of circumventing things.

Just my 2 silvers.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Question: If Derrick implemented negotiate features with Razor, couldn't they also make it so that it wasn't required to use razor?

Meaning, if Razor is there, it has to negotiate, otherwise they can still log in...like with ConnectUO, UOGateway, UORice, etc...? It would make it possible for some people to use 3rd party light hacks, which are undetectable....but would still force the authentic rules for the people using razor. That way, you can force the Era Accurate stuff for razor and if someone else is playing the game outside of those era-accurate negotiations, it will be plainly obvious that they are using a third party program...aside from light hacks as there's no way to detect that.

Idunno, hopefully my rambling makes sense. Basically, I think its completely viable to require Razor to negotiate features if its present, but not force the use of razor. Fixes most of the issues I would think...

-L/S

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Razor does not present itself to the server, we would have no way to know that it's running.

It's also possible via a very quick google search to find out how to modify the client.exe to eliminate lighting entirely. I don't think it's good policy for us to try to enforce the unenforceable; and we only try to do so when the risks to the playability of the game are dire.

Rules like this will make new criminals, and abiders will be disadvantaged.
It's generally accepted that it would be nice if there was a way to remove the light filter; but short of making threats via rules which are unenforceable, it's just not possible.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

:(
Derrick wrote:Razor does not present itself to the server, we would have no way to know that it's running.
Hrmmmm...curious how that "hand shake" works for negotiate features then...perhaps i'll have to educate myself on all that is razor. :)

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

The only other way to let people still use Night Sight and torches is to give them a slight (non era accurate) benefit while using them. And in the process they might not see the need for the hack anymore because they will be using Night Sight anyway. I know this will never happen, because we are striving for era accuracy here.

Why does Razor come with it pre-ticked?(I think mine was). This is bad for new players as they would never of known about darker nights in the first place.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

LeonZA wrote:Why does Razor come with it pre-ticked?(I think mine was). This is bad for new players as they would never of known about darker nights in the first place.
Dunno. You'd have to ask Zippy.

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

Why does Razor come with it pre-ticked?(I think mine was). This is bad for new players as they would never of known about darker nights in the first place.
Or maybe I ticked it once while playing with the settings. Not really sure.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Light Level filters is NOT checked by default.

Dark Nights totally own. I so wish more than most things that we could block the Light Level filter here.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

prosonic
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by prosonic »

in derricks hosted t2a client just below the colored lighting check box there is a dark nights checkbox i think this is the cause of what you are seeing
[22:41:17] <Braden> Prosonic: If you get drunk and cause trouble here, I am banning ian for life.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Light Shade wrote:
LeonZA wrote:Why does Razor come with it pre-ticked?(I think mine was). This is bad for new players as they would never of known about darker nights in the first place.
Dunno. You'd have to ask Zippy.
Good luck with that one. :wink:

Not to mention he has already publicly stated there will be no more work done on the negotiating feature which is plain out stupid. The RunUO team likes having that monopoly of being able to modify the program for their shard's individual needs.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I hope somebody reads this and chimes in. I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

So I recently tried out the dark nights, and they are fantastic. However, I noticed that when Dark Nights are enabled the power of dark seems to overpower even wizard's fire.

Without dark nights, spells like lightning and flamestrike make some wonderful momentary lighting effects, but with dark nights enabled these are completely blocked. It would be nice if this could be addressed. i mean, torches and candles seem to be able to peel back the darkness, is wizard's fire any less powerful?

- Jupiter