Second Age Test Server

Topics related to Second Age
Messiah

Second Age Test Server

Post by Messiah »

I am wanting to test a housing area to see what can be placed there. I downloaded the runuo server, started it and connected to it from my PC. I know a certain size house fits there, even with the new rules in place, but it will not place on the server I started.

Is there a test server or how much is the house placing rules changed from the stock runUO?

Messiah

Re: Second Age Test Server

Post by Messiah »

Found : test.uosecondage.com but the commands aren't working. Tried setting skills just to see what was available and help etc - nothing.

Anyway to do some testing on this server or does it have to be setup by Derrick?

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

test.uosecondage.com is currently not running on RunUO

Derrick will have to set it up...
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Last I heard Derrick didn't leave it running constantly and had no plans to do so. I haven't seen it up and running in the test server configuration with filled bank boxes since last December. Perhaps he is trying to encourage people to play the game and take the risks in-game...as opposed to a test server. I know in the past some people wouldn't even log in and interact with players on the real servers and it was getting to be a bit of a Hot Topic about players actually playing the game.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Xantim
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Xantim »

Would be nice to have the testserver back up and running and just have a total reset of the server every 12h so noone can play on it but just test things like placing houses and so on.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Xantim wrote:Would be nice to have the testserver back up and running and just have a total reset of the server every 12h so noone can play on it but just test things like placing houses and so on.
People weren't playing on testing center to accrue wealth / land, etc (or anything that required persistence of the world)--they were playing b/c you started out with tons of regs / money, etc, and so they could go there and duel / PvP without having to earn any of the resources that they used. I'm afraid server resets wouldn't resolve that problem.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

People spent countless hours practicing PvP on test so they wouldn't lose anything in the real shard.
I never saw stats, but I'd wager the amount of people actually playing on there regularly was high enough to warrant turning it off.

You want a test server? Go download RunUO and fire one up.....it's really not that hard.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Light Shade wrote:I know in the past some people wouldn't even log in and interact with players on the real servers and it was getting to be a bit of a Hot Topic about players actually playing the game.
The whole 2-3 people logged on test... just the usual killjoys moaning about nothing
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Light Shade wrote:Last I heard Derrick didn't leave it running constantly and had no plans to do so. I haven't seen it up and running in the test server configuration with filled bank boxes since last December. Perhaps he is trying to encourage people to play the game and take the risks in-game...as opposed to a test server. I know in the past some people wouldn't even log in and interact with players on the real servers and it was getting to be a bit of a Hot Topic about players actually playing the game.
^ this was terrible both irc / vent " oh i am dueling on test" i screwed around testing some templates on test but mostly i used it for testing complex macros to aid other people at different skill levels with out much better results then tinkering around trading files back and forth
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Test is up only when a patch is impending release. We take it down when that is not the case. We were noticing quite a few people logging into test to duel because they could do so without the risk that comes with dueling in the normal shard (nightshark must have been logging in at the wrong times of day if he only saw a couple). It is unlikely that our policy regarding the test shard will change.

Both test and the production shards use RunUO 2.0; however, both are heavily modified by Derrick. The house placement code has also been drastically changes; however, we have the mechanical changes posted in the patch notes. If you know how to code, you can likely make these changes on your home server as well (we are only talking about spatial relationships between objects when dealing with house placement).
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Use server wars to test housing n stuff. Drop whatever housing you have for cash and use that to buy a deed to test spots I guess.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I know it's a long shot.....but is there any way I can get a backup or some stripped down version of the UOSA configs to put up on my own test shard that I run for my kids?
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Messiah

Post by Messiah »

BlaiseDad wrote: You want a test server? Go download RunUO and fire one up.....it's really not that hard.
First Paragraph - that was already done / tried. Can't test it since the files have been modified from the original runuo. Only way to really test it is to get the config files from Second Age.

To everyone else:

Thanks for the responses.

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

BlaiseDad,

I do not believe we release the source. You will have to ask Derrick to be sure.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

That would give me an avenue to coding up proposals. :D

Alas, I doubt that it'll get released for many, many reasons, heh.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro