Making an Archer Mage, A Couple Basic Questions

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
WiseOne

Making an Archer Mage, A Couple Basic Questions

Post by WiseOne »

I want to build one, should I use the standard tank mage template but substitute swordsmanship for archery?

Archery
Wrestling
Tactics
Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting Spells

Also, how good would this character be at PvM? I always liked playing ranged characters in games and I mostly PvM (not for farming just running around the world ridding it of evil) but at the same time, if I meet a red in the field I want to be able to give it a go instead of running away all the time.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

AlexCCCP

Re: Making an Archer Mage, A Couple Basic Questions

Post by AlexCCCP »

If this char is mainly PvM, then you need Anatomy to complement the arhcery damage. I recommend dumping wrestling which is more useful in PvP situations.
Salute in the name of Lost Soldiers of Darkness [LSD], Napa Valley and The Empire of Atlantic (1998)

"I don't believe in god, but I blame him for all my problems"

Hallytosis

Post by Hallytosis »

Does tactics work with archery? I was under the impression that it didn't, since the accuracy bonus works differently on archery vs. say swordsmanship.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yes, tactics works with archery. I think the magic bows modify archery instead of tactics in an attempt to try to keep bows from being able to one-shot noobs with 75 STR back in 1999. Just my theory.

No mage should ever be without wrestling. I'd drop resist before I dropped wrestling.

Archer-mages aren't really effective in PvP combat, due to the incredibly long time between shots. Hitting once with a heavy xbow will certainly put someone on the defensive, but for the most part you're hamstringing yourself against a typical swords mage.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

I just finished my archery mage and will be testing him in the field for pvp. I will keep you updated how it pans out...he does not have wrestling

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

The real problem with archery and pvp is that archery doesn't cycle on the melee timer. This means you've actually got to have the bow equipped in order to cycle through to another shot. As Mikel says, you'll be able to put someone on the defensive with an xbow/ebolt combo, but good luck finishing without being able to efficiently empty your hands for an interrupt. My guess is that you'd get one shot off and spend the remainder of the fight trying to squeeze a fireball in between your harms and their gheals. And that's if the initial blow lands...if it doesn't you'll spend the remainder of the fight hoping they miss a swing with their hally.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Slowly getting back into building the archer. Decided to go with the following:

Archery
Anatomy
Wrestling
Tactics
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells

The logic being that I will rely on the bow for doing the damage and magery for defensive and healing purposes so evaluating intelligence is not as useful as anatomy or resisting spells.

Will let you know how it goes once I am done. Any updates on your archer mages are much appreciated :)
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

**Makes An Archer Just To See**
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Robbbb wrote:I just finished my archery mage and will be testing him in the field for pvp. I will keep you updated how it pans out...he does not have wrestling
Here is an incomplete list of skills that are not useful on a PvP mage:
-Camping
-Mining
-Fishing
-Begging
-Archery
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I have one archer, and am strongly considering dropping archery. I have simply not found one instance where it is useful.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Pirul wrote:I have one archer, and am strongly considering dropping archery. I have simply not found one instance where it is useful.
Stealth Archery is useful... :P
Works if you're pirating on the high seas! :P

:)

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Was playing around against an archer/mage/swordsman yesterday, and archery is completely irrelevant. I like the idea of cycling between the xbow and a hally and then finishing with an ebolt of FS, but I just outran his shots and/or trotted around so he couldn't fire.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Contemplating dropping meditation for hiding because spell casting will probably be minimal and hiding is useful when doing PvM. Basically this is ending up more of a warrior than mage although it will have GM magic and Resist. Any thoughts?
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

nightshark wrote:Here is an incomplete list of skills that are not useful on a PvP mage:
-Camping
-Mining
-Fishing
-Begging
-Archery
LOL.

Also Pirul said he has not found a single use for archery, archery has a place in my UO heart because prior to T2A era it was great. I have fond memories of the platemail, heavy crossbow, tank mage template.

How about Archery on the high seas? I was planning on making a crew of 3 fishers and giving them each Archery to compliment their fishing. Is this at the least effective? I was thinking 2 would be 100str/100dex anatomy using archers. The 3rd would be more magery based but still able to open up with a heavy crossbow.
Catskills 97-99

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

I agree with NS. My first tank here back in Dec. 09 was an archer mage and he could go toe-to-toe with tank mages until a series of patches I dislike made him basically useless. Now he is back to being a simple old hally-wielding tank mage.
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

Return to “Guides”