Unattended resource gathering.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Thesbus

Unattended resource gathering.

Post by Thesbus »

Per the rules of the shard unattended resource gathering is not allowed and bannable (this includes mining, lumberjacking, and deep sea fishing).

What is the difference of me unattended gathering to get resources vs me unattended macroing scribing...making 1000 odd invis scrolls (100% success rate) selling them to a vendor and turning that into 35k-ish gold and going to buy thousands of ingots, leather, boards off the vendors? In truth, I would get more resources by doing it the allowed way then I would gathering unattended and having to wait for the next batch of iron ore to respawn..though I would need to wait for the vendors to restock though with being able to gate around to different vendors it would still take less time.

The only exception I can see is that a higher mining skill allows you to get better ore...but since the rule is in place for all gathering skills I can't imagine that that is the reason it is there.

Just a question, not really a suggestion.

Derrick

Re: Unattended resource gathering.

Post by Derrick »

Vendor "churning" unattended could be considered resource gathering. The NPC vendor system severely limits the ablility to do much of this though.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

I forget how exactly it works with vendor restocks...is it every 10 minutes the vendor restocks its wears, if it was sold out during the last 10 minutes it then stocks double its previous 10 minute amount upto 999.

Example:
Blacksmith stocks 20 ingots gets bought out and 10 minutes later restocks 40 ingots, rinse and repeat to 80, 160, 320, 640, 999. So with an hour of buying out the different blacksmith vendors a person with enough gold could gate around and collect 1k ingots (roudned up 1 ingot) per blacksmith vendor (do tinkers carry ingots? I don't remember)...All i know is i can make 8k gold alot faster unattended scribing then I could mine 1k ingots worth of ore unattended.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Every 30 minutes for regs, an hour for everything else.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Thesbus wrote:Per the rules of the shard unattended resource gathering is not allowed and bannable (this includes mining, lumberjacking, and deep sea fishing).

What is the difference of me unattended gathering to get resources vs me unattended macroing scribing...making 1000 odd invis scrolls (100% success rate) selling them to a vendor and turning that into 35k-ish gold and going to buy thousands of ingots, leather, boards off the vendors? In truth, I would get more resources by doing it the allowed way then I would gathering unattended and having to wait for the next batch of iron ore to respawn..though I would need to wait for the vendors to restock though with being able to gate around to different vendors it would still take less time.

The only exception I can see is that a higher mining skill allows you to get better ore...but since the rule is in place for all gathering skills I can't imagine that that is the reason it is there.

Just a question, not really a suggestion.
TO churn scribe you have to gather all the scrolls and reags... scrolls weigh 1 stone per so its not an easy task. Often you must buy scrolls up to get them to levels that are worth buying to begin with.

Then you can sell 30-35 scrolls per hour to each mage. Again carrying limits and vendor restrictions make it impossible to make a fortune in a day with this method. also, you must buy all your resources..

the 1000 inviso scrolls you sold for 35K cost you 13K to make...and you had to invest (in scribing and magery) to get your scribe to gm to do this...

The system here is more restricted than on OSI. scrolls sell for less and vendor restrictions were not the same.

Its the same thing with fancy shirts, bows and other craftable items that return gold.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

Agreed but the point of the post was that I can gather more Ingots by scribing unattended and selling for profit and buying vendor ingots then I ever could unattended mining, lumberjacking, etc.

The question is why is it bannable to unattended gather when I can actually gather more, safer, in a shorter time doing it unattended scribing.

LIke its illegal for the government to go into your bank account and take your money, but if they want they can raise taxes and make it illegal for you not to give it to them. In the end its a wash.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

I hear what you are saying and im not saying it should be changed... but how would you correct it? No unattended scribing? then you have to do the same for tailoring and maybe bowcraft and perhaps smithing and if you are here i guess you should get rid of fishing and carto and carp/tinker aswell.

There would be no way to seperate people who are macroing to gain skill and people who are macroing to NPC sell.

there are many reasons this wasnt a big issue on OSI and the biggest was a scribe could make 10x more selling scrolls on a vendor or taking orders at WBB than he could with selling to npc's. The player base here doesnt make that as profitable at the moment.

I and my roommate at the time used to set scribe macro's on OSi up before we went to work and come home to 2x scribes churning out scrolls... Ofcourse we didnt have razor so it was alot harder. It was actually easier to sell to NPCs on OSI than it is here.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

I think my point is, why is unattended resource gathering illegal, when you can still unattended gather off of NPC's...at a faster rate. It's not like you want to limit people from gaining lumberjacking too easily...I mean honestly who cares about GM LJing? I could see why mining could be a big deal..but honestly with a use last item macro you can fly through mining in an afternoon anyways.

A person afk mining is basically just going to stand there for more then half the time...you mine 26 ore and you stand around for 20 minutes for it to respawn (don't know the exact time frame but when you are standing around it feels like forever)

Or a person recalls around buying out scrolls, sulf ash, spider silk for half an hour...ends up with 1k+ of each and macro's it all night with a restock agent putting completed scrolls back in the bank...Next morning they sell there 1000 odd scrolls (even at minimum price you still make a hefty profit) then recall around to all the BS vendors buying out ingots for a half an hour and end up with thousands of ingots gotten for the most part afk.

I just don't see the reason why resource gathering is illegal afk when every other skill is perfectly exceptable...see my point?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

i do see your pont... i believe the reason afk resource gathering is illegal is people have written scripts to mine mountain sides and jack forrest completly afk... with recalling and dumpung resource included... Those are free from the " resource pool", scribe you have to actually buy the resources, they arnt free.

I believe that is the difference.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Thesbus wrote:Agreed but the point of the post was that I can gather more Ingots by scribing unattended and selling for profit and buying vendor ingots then I ever could unattended mining, lumberjacking, etc.

The question is why is it bannable to unattended gather when I can actually gather more, safer, in a shorter time doing it unattended scribing.

LIke its illegal for the government to go into your bank account and take your money, but if they want they can raise taxes and make it illegal for you not to give it to them. In the end its a wash.
I think I could unattended gather way more resources in a day than you could make profit on selling scrolls. A ballpark guess would probably be ~100k boards in one day, given that I had the hatchets and regs and such. I don't have any nice mining macros, so I don't know how many ingots one could pull in a day, but you can fix the macro so you are moving/sailing/recalling/whatever and not hitting the same spot over and over again while it is out of ore.

Just sayin' your unattended macroing of scrolls may not be quite as awesome as you think it is.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Silverfoot wrote: I think I could unattended gather way more resources in a day than you could make profit on selling scrolls. A ballpark guess would probably be ~100k boards in one day, given that I had the hatchets and regs and such. I don't have any nice mining macros, so I don't know how many ingots one could pull in a day, but you can fix the macro so you are moving/sailing/recalling/whatever and not hitting the same spot over and over again while it is out of ore.

Just sayin' your unattended macroing of scrolls may not be quite as awesome as you think it is.
exactly, i have a pretty poorly written attended lumberjack macro and i could probably pull 50-60k boards a day off it if i could sit at my screen for that long...

The thing is so long i dont want to go in and optimize it but i see many ways to improve the numbers/time... your 100k estimate may not be that far off.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I'm going to jump on the "band wagon" with this one. Although I haven't done it here (don't have a miner here), but I have been known to pull in over 150k ingots in under 12 hours using 3 miners on other, similar shards (similar in the sense that the ore-respawn is roughly the same time, and the amount of ore per spot is the same). This is also 100% Razor and can be done without touching the keyboard once, once you start the macro.

Not a bad deal considering I use to run this type of macro on my "hermit days" (days where I'd stay home to clean, work on my thesis, edit video on my main machine, etc)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins