UnAttended Fishing

Topics related to Second Age
Anon Emous

UnAttended Fishing

Post by Anon Emous »

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is with macroing fishing unattended? It just doesn't make any sense why its such a big deal. I can understand mining or Ljing its gathering a resource that can be sold to make a profit. Fish on the other hand are good for nothing. After one fishing trip I throw away upwards of 32k fish steaks because they cannot be sold to NPCs and I can't imagine any player wanting to buy them. I have read arguments that its because people can make a fair amount of gold off of MIBs. My dispute with that logic is that it takes anywhere between 1 hour and 3 hours to pull 1 MIB at MAXIMUM each MIB is worth 5k after you sell everything. Unless by some miracle you find a good magic item thats worth something. I have done over 12 MIBs since I gm fishing and have yet to have that happen. So by my math thats 1 -3 HOURS of fishing and then another 20 or so mins finding the spot to make 5k. I don't see anyone making a ton of money off of MIBs. Even using the math posted on the Wiki site 1 MIB per hour of fishing at an average earning of about 3k per still = 3k x 24 = 72k made off them not to mention it would take at least 8 hours to do all of them and sell all the stuff. So to wrap this up most people play about 4 hours a day if you macro sold for 1 day and get 24 MIBs it would take you 2 days to recover them all and so you could only really do this process about 2 times a week. Maximum earnings of about 144k a week. And thats doing nothing but that all week long. Hardly making big money. Thats my thoughts on it. Let me know what you think.

Abbot

Re: UnAttended Fishing

Post by Abbot »

lets say afk fishing was legal

so, 1 mib per hour on average. you can run 3 accounts at once, so 3 mibs per hour. that nets 504 mibs in a week.

if you could find a buyer for 504 MiBs every week, you'd make 1,512,000 a week.

if you took the time to do the mibs, with your value you make 2000 per mib so that's an extra 1,008,000gp.

so, congrats, you just earned a couple castles doing jack shit.

hence, afk fishing is illegal.
<Soma> He may be a pedophile, but he's a damn good smith
<Sheer_Luck> Yeah but all the hally handles smell funny.

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

True to an extent but how many people do you know that have 3 accounts that each have 1 gm fisher that they wouldn't mind tying up the accounts to go fishing for a day. Not to mention who do you know that would waste that kinda time. Not to mention that if your talking about 3 accounts at 24 ea a day it would take them 24 hours of non stop doing MIBs to collect on them all. That would be insanity. 24 hours infront of a monitor doing the same thing because unfortunately there is no possible way you can macro the recovery process or the selling. You find me a person that could do it and then I will say that your numbers are correct. Most I have been able to play at a screen is 4 hours. You could get more money mining ingots and selling them. 1000 Ingots takes maybe an hour. My point is I think its jacked up that I can't macro fishing and play another char. You have to be physically present. They could handle it a bit better then jailing you and jacking your stuff. A better alternative would be to spawn a monster near the macroer. If they are afk for that long without checking they die problem solved lesson learned.

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

^

Abbot

Post by Abbot »

I think you got it wrong.
You can fish and play another character, you just have to keep an eye on your fisher dude. You can consider trying to use two monitors instead, so you can see better.

The thing is, people wouldn't really macro 24/7 for a month straight. Maybe someone would. But they could do it while they're away from the computer, and still make a decent amount of gold. I don't know what you're saying about being in front of the monitor, I'm talking about why it's illegal, and the reason it's illegal is because no one is in front of their monitor.

The recovering process isn't macroable, true, but you can sort them in great numbers, then plug the coordinates into UOAM and do a whole fuck ton at once. A few people do that and it's very effective, a few hundred MiBs could be finished in hours. Sorting and selling, well, hell, I don't know how to figure that in to things. But, anyways, you could still just sell the MiBs to other players, 3k is a very common price to be paid for them, even in bulk.
<Soma> He may be a pedophile, but he's a damn good smith
<Sheer_Luck> Yeah but all the hally handles smell funny.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Anon Emous wrote:True to an extent but how many people do you know that have 3 accounts that each have 1 gm fisher that they wouldn't mind tying up the accounts to go fishing for a day.
I have a GM fisher on each of my three accounts, and when I do fish (though I haven't in a long time) I use all of them at the same time. This is not rare. And when I do fish it's usually for several hours on end, while I am doing something else non-UO on the other monitor glancing at my game window every few seconds. AFK would make that way easier and more profitable. I'd run to the store or go watch some tv. As it is now when I have to do something that makes me leave the room, I stop all of the macros first.

I think the policy as it stands is good.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Oh, and you can pull MiB's afk too...ain't too dificult (well, a little bit), but there's a couple of people here that know how to do it.

And as Applejack said, any serious fisherman here has a GM fisher in each account.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Anon Emous wrote:True to an extent but how many people do you know that have 3 accounts that each have 1 gm fisher that they wouldn't mind tying up the accounts to go fishing for a day. Not to mention who do you know that would waste that kinda time. Not to mention that if your talking about 3 accounts at 24 ea a day it would take them 24 hours of non stop doing MIBs to collect on them all. That would be insanity. 24 hours infront of a monitor doing the same thing because unfortunately there is no possible way you can macro the recovery process or the selling. You find me a person that could do it and then I will say that your numbers are correct. Most I have been able to play at a screen is 4 hours. You could get more money mining ingots and selling them. 1000 Ingots takes maybe an hour. My point is I think its jacked up that I can't macro fishing and play another char. You have to be physically present. They could handle it a bit better then jailing you and jacking your stuff. A better alternative would be to spawn a monster near the macroer. If they are afk for that long without checking they die problem solved lesson learned.

You'd be surprised what people will do to make money, or just simply find enjoyable on this shard. Fishing is a low risk way to make a decent living. Although there are players here (like PoD) that specifically go out to PK fishers, as long as proper boat security protocol is followed all that is lost is time.

So, this whole topic must be due to you being new 'round these parts. Either that or you're doing another kind of fishing.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

Try some gate fishing its alot funner.

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service

Charla

Post by Charla »

LOL: you can sell fish steaks or/and fish to npc fisher located on docks. Granted it's a low return on the time involved, but...
can be done. :lol:

Westra

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

All valid points. With everything being said I still don't think it should be a bannable offense. I unfortunately don't have a second screen. I fish while I do other stuff such as buying regs/mining/making gold. I have one char that fishes and Im not out to make a million. Really the only thing I use my fisher for is to make enough gold to supply my other chars with enough gold to pay for magery gains. (which is also a joke, 5k of each reg for 10 points of skill LAME) Anyway, I check on my fisher about every 30 min and I still get jailed. Granted Admins aren't going to wait for 30 min to see if I check on him so I think they should come up with a better system for monitoring this. It just not very fair or Era Accurate to have 8 hours worth of work taken because I didn't watch my screen constantly.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Checking on your screen once (presumably for a quick instant) and then going back to doing other things is AFK fishing and is not allowed. Just because you are not literally away from your keyboard does not mean you are not breaking the rules. Unattended resource gathering is illegal here (and rightly so). Checking your character for 20-30 seconds once every half an hour is far from what one might call 'attended'. There are other 'safe' ways of making easy money without breaking the rules. Sure you may not have a 'bad intention' but the rules are there to protect the server from people who would leave 3 accounts fishing 24/7 and flooding the market with MiB's and other valuable fishing items (in the case of fishing specifically). If you want to be safe, make it a mini window and keep it in the corner. If you can't then attend your fisher or risk the consequences.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Zim

Post by Zim »

Play the game.

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

Anon Emous wrote:All valid points. With everything being said I still don't think it should be a bannable offense. I unfortunately don't have a second screen.
Please configure your clien correctly. When we appear it sounds like a lightning bolt. When we leave it sounds like a tripple flamestrike. This is intentional so that whenever we appear, you will HEAR us even if you are in a different window. If you have your sound disabled and get jailed for unattended resource gathering, its your own fault. We give you 5 minutes plus the audible indicator that we have appeared.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

When we pirates kill fishermen, typically we find more than one on a boat.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket