Hail thou, unto thee... and thine-selves... or whatever.

Topics related to Second Age
Luke

Hail thou, unto thee... and thine-selves... or whatever.

Post by Luke »

I just arrived on the shard and wanted to say hello. I started playing within a month or so of UO's first release, beta tested T2A, and left just before the introduction of trammel. I played Catskills and Test Center, one for RP and one for PvP. It's great to find this shard where people are so passionate about my favorite world. If I continue playing I plan to at least donate, but for now let me just say thank you to the staff and players for being here.

So far I have met only welcoming people in my few weeks of play (all who warn me of the not-so nice people I have been expecting). I have had much luck so far and was able to help loot a collapsed keep. To my surprise there was no violence but I suppose everyone was too busy looting. I know I was; I came away with more magic swords and bows than I have ever seen. There were twenty unused vanquishing weapons I pulled, so thanks to whoever owned them because that's really all I ever wanted from UO anyway.

There was even a halberd of vanquishing in there, so hopefully that's worth something. I noticed that weapon swing speed seems a little different here - I can swing a halberd fast like it's a broadsword and weapons are ready-to-hit the moment I equip them instead of being on a constant timer and sometimes having to wait a couple seconds after equip with the lucky occasion of equipping and hitting the instant the timer is ready. I don't think this is accurate to any era but it's okay because I'm hoping someone wants to pay me an obscene amount for the halberd because of it, so I can buy a house deed and wander around for weeks trying to place it.

Most everything I have noticed seems very accurate to the age aside from minor client-side and assist program details which don't affect much anyway. I haven't experienced enough to comment on the details yet anyway. There were a few things I noticed but I will think over them and post in the suggestion/era accuracy forum if I feel strongly enough. However, all-in-all I am impressed and thankful.

Anyway, see you in Sosaria.

PS - I haven't been killed yet, so... someone needs to get on that.

Zeppelin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Hail thou, unto thee... and thine-selves... or whatever.

Post by Zeppelin »

Luke wrote:PS - I haven't been killed yet, so... someone needs to get on that.
where do you make rounds outside of town?

Luke

Post by Luke »

Zeppelin wrote:where do you make rounds outside of town?
LOL, sorry but there is a reason I'm not dead yet :mrgreen:

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Luke wrote:I noticed that weapon swing speed seems a little different here - I can swing a halberd fast like it's a broadsword and weapons are ready-to-hit the moment I equip them instead of being on a constant timer and sometimes having to wait a couple seconds after equip with the lucky occasion of equipping and hitting the instant the timer is ready.
The ready-to-hit aspect has been under heavy discussion for quite some time. Currently the melee mechanics are not accurate and are under revision.

Perfect mechanics come at a high level of difficulty. First evidence must be gathered from old patch notes, archived websites, and news groups chat logs from the late 90's (as well as other miscellaneous sources). Next, some sort of discussion on the matter is had, usually in the "Era Accuracy and Suggestions" forum, or the "Shard Development" forum. Lastly, after all contradictions are weeded out, Derrick will work to implement the mechanics and further the agenda for era accuracy.

If talking about this sort of stuff interests you, then I would encourage you to get involved with accuracy discussions and research.

Welcome to UOSA

Luke

Post by Luke »

I can see how the game mechanics would always be under scrutiny and I am just thankful people care. I do intent to help out where I can with what I remember but so far I am holding my tongue on most things until I am relatively sure. I am amazed that the staff is even willing to undertake such a mission considering how many people probably only "remember" whatever suits them now. I feel for the people who have their game changed in order to achieve era accuracy from time to time - ironic because part of the idea of era accuracy is to not continually screw up the game. In my opinion, here, it's worth it because the shard is so close to how it really was and the changes are not as large.

By the way, Rose, awesome signature picture 8)

OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OneEyedJack »

Welcome to UOSA! If you have any desire to RP as an undead click on the picture in my signature. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask as well.

Luke

Post by Luke »

OneEyedJack wrote:Welcome to UOSA! If you have any desire to RP as an undead click on the picture in my signature. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask as well.
Thank you, I remember the undead on Catskills along with the orcs - much fun. I likely won't be either but I am glad it's going on here.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Welcome to UOSA! If you have any questions, hop on IRC, I'm sure most people will act decent and help you out.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

Luke wrote:I'm hoping someone wants to pay me an obscene amount for the halberd because of it, so I can buy a house deed and wander around for weeks trying to place it.
There are small house spots everywhere. There are larger ones here and there also, but a small house won't take you long at all.