Inventive ways to work resist

Moderator: Support Moderators

Downtown

Inventive ways to work resist

Post by Downtown »

Hey guys,

I'm going to be working up some alts and I was wondering if any of you knew of any interesting (fast/cheap) ways of working resisting spells.

There used to be a bug on OSI where you could cast an energy field under the rope ladder in a small tower and run up and down the ladder to gain resist. It also worked on ladders besides the small tower rope ladder. Does anyone know if that works?

Does meteor shower give the same resist gains as flame strike? I did this on another server once - we had like 9 characters in various levels of a house all casting it on everyone else... GM resist in like 1 night for all 9 characters because each cast would hit everyone. Does that work here?

There was a bug a long time ago where you could get a blade spirit above you, like on a floor above you in a tower and when it tried to attack, you'd gain resist but wouldn't take damage. Does that work here? That might have been a T2A bug : )

During power hour my guild used to summon a bunch of deamons and have them cast on one player on a boat while some dexers healed the guy on the boat. I GMed resist on my lumber gimp that way. Would that be an effective method here?

How bout just finding a place where a ton of casting mobs are and standing on a hill or boat away from them with a healer? I know people used to do that in northern T2A... I guess those were Ophidians (spelling). I think I've seen people do this with treasure map summoned mobs too, but they might just pwn you if they're high level, even with a healer.

Maybe one could find a way to lure a bunch of skeletal mages or something to a town border, stand in town, and gain resist while the mobs casted from outside of town? It might be possible in Del on one of the hills or the gates on the edge of town - I doubt it.

Anyway, ideas welcome. If they've been tested, they're more welcome.

Thanks guys

PS. My character just reached duel-capable, so if someone wants to help me learn to play a tank again, hit me up. I'll be on after 6:30 eastern tonight.

If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it, but I was hoping it'd become a guide-post.

Slimeball Jasper

Re: Inventive ways to work resist

Post by Slimeball Jasper »

resist once you get into 94+ is sometimes not worth GMing seeing as it can take 3000 of each just to get .5 or 1.0.

There are no real clever ways, the most easiest and fastest would be to macro on yourself and have an alt heal you.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Slimeball Jasper wrote:There are no real clever ways
teheehe :wink:

Downtown

Post by Downtown »

I'm sure there is something out there.

That's how I've been working resist (the flame striking myself) - which is why I posted here. There must be a better way... and GM resist was a status symbol for me : p I must GM my resist to maintain e-peen.

Has anyone tried Meteor shower? I'll test it tonight, I guess... then I'll need enough people that I trust with my meteor regs to macro with me - lol.

I think Faust knows something I don't know : p

Faust

Post by Faust »

I don't see why the meteor swarm trick wouldn't work for multiple characters. I'm pretty positive that a resist check is calculated for that spell. I think this applies even in the RunUO default code. I think the only downside to this tactic is the reg cost compared to the simplistic and easy to find ash and silk of the flamestrike spell.

I completely forgot about the energy field trick. I'm assuming it doesn't work on here though. I'll have to look into it.

The bladespirit trick doesn't work on here that I'm aware of. I think the reason for that is that bladespirits don't trigger their poison from only walking over them like it did during t2a. If you ran over one while standing up on the tower wing it would trigger the poison and you could receive resist gains from it. It worked on any type of structure where you could stand over top of a bladespirit.

I really don't know anything more than what I knew back when I played. If something existed back then more than likely it will on here as well. This is of course if something isn't fixed to be era accurate.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

Here is the cheapest way do resist w/ at least 3 accounts. I used this in power hour days, but no reason why it shouldn't work here (unless a patch has changed things recently)

The Boat Method:

w/ 3 accounts

1 summoner summoning daemons
1 healer (need to have 80+ healing)
1 'gainer'

basically have the healer and gainer on the boat. have the gainer loop a macro for attack closest criminal. the daemons will dump magic on the guy. you just have to keep the guy healed. i'd suggest 2 healers and 1 summoner to keep things running smoothly.

i could see Urk doing this well. 2 summoners and 4 healers can get a guy some serious resist. that 'gainer' could be attacking 20+ daemons, think about the chances to resist something.

500 of each summon reg (4k regs total) for 2 summoners is cheaper that casting on yourself. but you have to factor in healing and bandages. you can offer people/friends to heal you for skill gains
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Virindi1

Post by Virindi1 »

I lured a wandering healing into my house then locked him in a corner and ran a heal macro on the guy the healer was attacking.

The healer killed him in 5 seconds then got bumped from my house.

:(

I still need to try it with a wisp/lich, I think they're easier.

Downtown

Post by Downtown »

Thanks for the response about the demons. A bunch of my guild members used that during power hour, but it's bound to be cheaper than doing it with flame strike. The demon certainly will give more gains than 2-3 flame strikes would.

That's informative about the reasoning behind the blade spirit bug. I didn't realize that was what it was... and I didn't think poison would take you as high in resist as that amazing bug did - interesting.

I knew a guy that had a house on Sonoma with 4-5 skeletal or bone mages, whatever they are called, trapped in his house. I don't know how he healed against it, but he used it to gain resist. That should work here too, but I don't know where to find a bunch of bone mages unless you can drag mobs through gates on this server like you used to be able to do on OSI. If that is the case, then getting 5 of them into your house shouldn't be hard at all with a little help - mark a rune in deciet, have a mage stand in the house behind the boxes and pop open a gate... have someone in deciet running around grabbing bone mages and lure them through the gate... It'd be super easy with a peacer on the house I bet.

That's interesting. That'd be much cheaper than the deamon on a boat method, if you can survive long enough to get the heal macros started up... and you wouldn't have to worry about some lamer coming along and killing you on the boat if you were doing it AFK... I guess there is still the chance of someone coming along and meteor swarming your bone mages.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I think the greater poison that bladespirits used was part of the reason it gained much higher resist than the regular poison spell. It is essentially quite similar to the much higher spell circle that is the poison field spell.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Easiest way to do resist when you have semi-finished characters and/or friends..

Log on 3 characters, have a friend log on 3 characters. You can GM resist on all 6 of them a lot easier.

Meteor swarm (for those who don't know) is an Area spell, it will hit everyone within range (so stack up on 1 tile for the sake of making it easy), it also divides damage based on the number of targets.

I did a test run last night with it. I have 300 of each MS reg on my bard, 300 of each on my tankmage, and a stack of bandages on the ground.

My bard, my tankmage, and my warrior (he did the healing) gained really well (they are all in the mid 90s for resist).

The more people, the better, and the cheaper it turns out to be.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Return to “New Player Help”