Slay the Machine Guns (SMG) Event

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.

Would you be interested in participating in this event?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 18

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Slay the Machine Guns (SMG) Event

Post by the bazookas »

Hi everybody,

We, the bazookas (whom you may or may not have encountered), would like to host an event that involves killing off our weaker "machine gun" brothers. The details are as follows:

Location: Dungeon Despise Level 2-4 (Level 4 is where the machine guns will be. See below for more info on the other 2 levels)

When: Most likely on an upcoming Saturday evening (TBD based on interest--PLEASE ANSWER THE POLL QUESTION TO HELP US DETERMINE WHETHER THIS EVENT IS WORTH PUTTING ON)

What: several characters named "a machine gun" will be running around looking for people to kill (sometimes with other machine guns, sometimes not). Your goal in this event is to gather the most machine gun heads and turn them in to the moderator of the event (who will be hanging around just inside the dungeon--Level 2). The machine guns (there will be at LEAST 8 of them total, with many running around at a time) will be very aggressive, but they are also excellent hiders and may call upon that skill in order to escape (i.e. don't expect this event to consist of walking through the whole dungeon detecting hidden or revealing all the time in order to first encounter a machine gun--the machine guns will most likely be coming after you when you come near). You can expect the machine guns to be criminal to you, but if for some reason a machine gun is innocent when you attack him, he will not be reporting murder counts. We would ask that you do not report the machine guns for murder if you decide to participate in the event and they happen to kill you.

There are very few rules governing how you approach the machine gun hunt (see important rules below). If you want to come in with a group to kill them, then do it. PKing of other participants is allowed (and potentially a good way to bring in some heads / prevent others from getting any). Stealing is allowed. Looting (yes even the dry kind) of other players (including the machine guns, of course) is allowed. Basically it's a free for all dungeon environment aside from the rules listed below (of course, if you aren't participating in the hunt for the prize, then those rules don't apply--you just won't be the "winner" regardless of the number of heads you bring in. You could definitely add to the event, even being a "non-participant" :)). In summary, do not bring anything you can't afford to lose; we will not try to get your stuff back for you (or give it back to you assuming the machine guns were the ones to kill and loot you) if you lose it.

Prize for the Winner: blessed black sandals (I do not know if they are GF'ed or not)

Consolation prize for the Losers: we hope that you had a good time. :) Potentially second and third place prizes if somebody would like to donate something worth winning (we bazookas don't have a lot to offer, you know).

Important Rules:
  • If we suspect foul play involving the use of counterfeit machine gun heads, perpetrators will be disqualified. (i.e. machine gun heads harvested from newbie machine guns of their own making).
  • If you have a machine gun head from a previous encounter with machine guns and try to turn them in for this event, they will be treated as counterfeit machine gun heads. Please leave those at home!
  • All participants in the hunt (i.e. wanting to claim the prize) must check in with the moderator right inside the dungeon (which is technically Level 2--it's a small room that has a staircase going up and going down) BEFORE proceeding to Level 4 to hunt machine guns (walking, of course, through Level 3) . The participant is required to say something like "I am joining the hunt" to officially be considered a participant. The moderator will be taking a packet video such that true participants can be confirmed when they come forward to claim the prize.
  • You must turn in all heads at once--as soon as the heads are turned in, you cannot turn in any more. This means that if you haven't turned in any heads to the moderator, you can spend more time in the dungeon looking for more machine gun heads, but also run the risk of losing any that you have already harvested to other machine guns (who will try to dispose of them for you) / PKs / thieves / monsters (although if Despise's wimpy monsters kill you, then you deserve to lose them!). However, if you have turned in the heads, you may still go back down into the dungeon and try to PK other participants / prevent them from turning in their machine gun heads.
  • Once you have joined the hunt, you must stay on Level 2, 3, or 4 of the dungeon until you turn in the heads (or die--see below). Participants breaking this rule will be disqualified. This is to prevent banking of the heads, such that there continues to be risk involved when hunting for more heads. As an extension of this rule, there is no recalling / gating allowed within, into, or out of the dungeon while involved in the hunt. Some ghosts / other observers shall be placed around the dungeon such that it can be confirmed that the "winner" never recalled and also that the winner indeed ran through the dungeon up to Level 2 where the heads were turned in to the moderator. Furthermore, participants are encouraged to take packet videos of the event such that any observed breaking of this rule can be substantiated. Breaking this rule disqualifies you from the hunt (and thus from getting any prize).
  • EDIT: For those who die, we will have pulled some wandering healers to the entrance of the dungeon, and we will try to place recall scrolls and runes to town near the moderator (we cannot guarantee these resources will remain available, however). If you do want to resurrect and come back to rejoin the hunt, you must (1) be seen running through Level 2 as a ghost and (2) enter at the front entrance when you are ready to continue the hunt and say "I am rejoining the hunt" in the presence of the moderator (don't forget to smile for the camera... :)). This constitutes the only exception to the "no leaving the level 2, 3, and 4" rule since we know the ghost is not smuggling heads into their bank (and is essentially starting over).
  • Any participant attempting to steal or kill on Level 2 (where the moderator is) shall be disqualified from the hunt. This is intended to prevent disruption of participants turning in heads by camping that area. Note that this restriction does not apply to Level 3, so Level 3 (including stairs leading up to Level 2) is fair game. I would also ask that non-participants please refrain from causing trouble on Level 2, although I obviously can't prevent uber griefers from doing so if they so desire.
  • Participants must be in a TBD IRC chat room where announcements regarding time limits will be made. It is expected that this hunt will last about 2 hours, but depending on how it turns out, it may be cut short or extended. Heads will not be accepted after time has run out.
If you have any other ideas or suggestions, or you would like to make donations for some more prizes, or you would like to assist us in organizing this event in some way (e.g. lending us some surveillance ghosts to take packet videos throughout the dungeon), we'd appreciate the help. Please PM me.

Also, if you would like to BE a machine gun (i.e. develop "a machine gun" dexxer character (should be GM of some weapon skill, tactics, anatomy, decent healing skill, >90 hiding) that you would run with us for this event, I believe that would be a possibility. This would depend on how many participants we are going to have (SO PLEASE ANSWER THE POLL QUESTION so we can determine whether we need more machine guns)--NOTE: we will be communicating using xfire, not ventrillo, so we can only consider recruiting you if you are willing to use xfire with us).

Thanks!
Last edited by the bazookas on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Berock Shagando

Re: Slay the Machine Guns (SMG) Event

Post by Berock Shagando »

I votes yes. This sounds like an interesting event. I would most likely give it a try. Will there be designated healers somewhere? Obviously assuming there would be lots of deaths. It would seem difficult for a ghost to get a heal and get back to the match quickly.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Thanks for your interest, and good question.

I think that we could probably drag some wandering healers to the dungeon entrance, and I could leave some recall scrolls near the moderator to make it easier for people to get restocked and to re-enter the hunt if they want to.

This begs the addition of another rule (please see the EDIT in the original post).
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

It is not hard to set up a res station. Have a character from another account in a no spawn corner with at least 80 heal / 80 anat macroing:

Dbl click bandage
wait for target
target closest human
pause 17 secs

This of course is subject to griefing, but it might be a start.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

fortin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fortin »

Its sad but this event would probably get griefed to hell. I vote yes.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

So make the griefers part of the event. In the event bandits show up, everyone is required to gang up on them and dry loot.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Berock Shagando

Post by Berock Shagando »

Yeah I was gonna say dragging healer npcs would just get them slaughtered. As would a macroing healer character in the dungeon. Best bet I think would be to have one in a small house near the entrance. NPC to keep from using lots of regs or bandies. That way noone alive could enter the house to kill the healer. But ghosts can walk thru the door, get a res, then leave. But then theres the chance someone brings a ghost to get a res and then lets in a griefer. Is there a way to put something between the healer and the players that you cant cast across, but an NPC healer can res across?

P.S. Wheres the edit part? dont feel like reading the entire post again for one small edited part

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Berock Shagando wrote:Yeah I was gonna say dragging healer npcs would just get them slaughtered. As would a macroing healer character in the dungeon. Best bet I think would be to have one in a small house near the entrance. NPC to keep from using lots of regs or bandies. That way noone alive could enter the house to kill the healer. But ghosts can walk thru the door, get a res, then leave. But then theres the chance someone brings a ghost to get a res and then lets in a griefer. Is there a way to put something between the healer and the players that you cant cast across, but an NPC healer can res across?

P.S. Wheres the edit part? dont feel like reading the entire post again for one small edited part
When i did the auction I had a healer up there...but it fairly quickly vanished...I guess respawned to its home?

Although you could let people run into the house, res, and then log out/in to get back out.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Berock Shagando wrote:Wheres the edit part? dont feel like reading the entire post again for one small edited part
Now highlighted in yellow.
fortin wrote:Its sad but this event would probably get griefed to hell. I vote yes.
Yes, it is not unlikely that griefers would become involved. However, there are really only a few main things they could mess with in order to throw things off (since this is pretty much a free-for-all event):
  • Killing the moderator (although a ghost taking a packet video can do pretty much everything--even counting heads if the player throws them in front of him)
  • Camping the 2nd floor where the heads are turned in (in which case I would communicate via IRC a new meeting place that you could recall to in order to turn in the heads--and yes, you should bring recall runes to this event although the "no recall" rule applies unless other-wise stated in IRC, just in case griefers force us to take our business elsewhere)
  • Destroying the "res" station--but honestly, Despise is not that far away from Britain, so walking to town or you bringing an alt to the entrance (outside the dungeon) to gate your dead guy away wouldn't be so bad.
I would say that since the nature of this event is inherently PvP-oriented (the machine guns aren't going to be taken without a fight), and since the nature of griefing usually involves someone PvPing you, I would imagine that you would be prepared to deal with that.

Return to “Player Run Events”