How to deal with old guilds

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Corbin

How to deal with old guilds

Post by Corbin »

One thing I've noticed on this shard about guilds... there are a ton of them.

This causes a problem because of the turnover rate on the shard. We have a new player join with intentions of sticking around, so they work for a new house and buy a guildstone to make their own guild... then leave a week later. Their house decays and the stone is moved to the guildstone graveyard. The problem is that their guildstone is still attached to an abbreviation that is stuck on the stone until and if the player ever comes back, which is more often than not, a negative.

What I would suggest to staff is giving players a specific amount of time to reclaim their lost stone... maybe something like 2 months after it's moved by a GM from a fallen house to the graveyard, else the stone and guild be deleted from the game. This will keep guild abbreviations open for other guilds to actively use.

I'm sure the suggestion of just contacting staff about a name you want would come up, but there are some problems with this:

First, you never really know if the guild is active. Just because you don't see them in town doesn't mean they aren't actively playing either on other characters or simply remaining out of town. A guild should never be removed if the player is active and the stone in a house that is actively being refreshed.

Second, the staff have better things to do than take a bunch of pages from people who are looking to see if a stone is active or not.

Third, while I'm not sure how accurate this is with production shards on EA, we also have a much higher turnover rate than they did because of this shard having no monetary investment. This means many more people showing up for a week and simply leaving.

Any thoughts on this?
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: How to deal with old guilds

Post by MatronDeWinter »

So, someone already has your guild abbreviation.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

MatronDeWinter wrote:So, someone already has your guild abbreviation.
Nah, it was just something I was thought of the other day when considering the population and economy of the shard and how many guildstones are abandon and put in the graveyard never to have anyone claim them.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Just come up with a new abbreviation

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Dibbs on reviving The Murdering Scumbags.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

i know quite a few people who left for 6 months or more and came back reclaimed stones
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

The question is what the era accurate policy was. I never recall there being a guildstone graveyard, then again I wouldnt' recall something like that.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Ronk wrote:The question is what the era accurate policy was. I never recall there being a guildstone graveyard, then again I wouldnt' recall something like that.
Accuracy I believe demands that the stones are left in place and not moved by GMs for the sake of house placement.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Era accuracy here does not apply to policy so I don't think it's relevant what was done on OSI. That said, I still think this is a good discussion.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

On OSI guildstones WOULD be moved for house placement, but usually kept on the same screen that they were on before. I'm not sure of the policy regarding their deletion, but guilds absolutely did eventually get deleted, freeing up the name again.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick has done a guild purge in the past that removed a lot of them.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Corbin wrote:
Ronk wrote:The question is what the era accurate policy was. I never recall there being a guildstone graveyard, then again I wouldnt' recall something like that.
Accuracy I believe demands that the stones are left in place and not moved by GMs for the sake of house placement.
Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. I'm not sure what the letter of the law was, there probably wasn't any, but the spirit of the law just depended on the GM you happened to catch. It was generally a good strategy,when you paged a GM for something and got declined, to page again the following day at a different time and hope for a different GM.