Treasure Hunter

Moderator: Support Moderators

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Treasure Hunter

Post by Mad Max »

What would be a good template to have for a treasure hunter. I don't need provoking because I was going to use my bard to do all that. But what all do I really need for a second char besides lockpicking and cartography.. Do you need mining at all? Would any other skills be useful on that char?

Eastwood

Re: Treasure Hunter

Post by Eastwood »

I haven't taken my treasure hunter into action yet, but I've done a lot of research while I'm macroing him like crazy and here is my suggestion.

Lockpicking is super easy to get to 95.0. From 95-100 requires you to seek out level 4dungeon chests and pick them open, you have to do this for a few weeks.

First I'd ask, what is your map situation? Are you sitting on a ton of maps? Level 1's from fishing especially? Thats ok cause you can decode level 1s with 0 cartography I believe, and clear out your inventory without getting into cartography just yet... To do level 5 maps you will need 100 Lock Picking.

I would make a dungeon chest hunter build which is similar to treasure hunter, but without cartography.

Provoke 100.0
Musicianship 100.0
Magery 100.0
Meditation 100.0
Lockpicking 95.0
Hiding 100.0
Stealth 100.0

Is what you would have after some macroing.

To figure out how to raise Lockpicking to 95 there are a lot of posts, it's pretty cheap and can be done in a day.

I haven't put it to practice yet as I'm still macroing magery, and then stealth, on my treasure hunter. But the plan is, to open gates to level 4 dungeon chests with a seperate character (level 4 is all that will give you lockpicking gains from 95-100), hide and stealth, check area, provoke monsters, pick chests, and maybe kill some monsters if there is opportunity.

Without remove trap, you will need to cast telekinesis from about 4 tiles? away to remove traps, this is typical of treasure hunters, no one waste skill on remove trap.

This is supposedly a tedious process, there are only about a dozen or so spawning level 4 chests in the dungeons, potential PKs, other lock pickers perhaps, so... I think stealth would be useful for this phase of treasure hunting.

When you are a full time map decoder with a hundred lockpicking, tackling level 5 maps, drop Stealth for Cartography, and it is totally debatable, but some people drop hiding for wrestling or eval. That's another debate you will find in other threads.

You will not need mining at all. There are is a stratics website http://uo.stratics.com/thb/info/maparch ... ive1.shtml that allows you to match your treasure map with an online database. There are runebooks all over UOSA that take you directly to where your treasure chest will be located.

I have not done any of this yet, this is just from reading other threads on the subject, good luck.

Edit, I didn't catch that you didn't need provoking.

In which case... survival skills on the template would be nice, like Wrestling and Resist, maybe keeping hiding/stealth for the digging/spawning process? This is where I would require a lot more field experience to give advice.
Catskills 97-99

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I'd honestly go with...

Mage
Med
Wrestling
Hiding
Carto
Lockpicking
X (Resist, Stealth, Eval, Fishing)

I'm not a big fan of the stealth lockpicker unless you go all the way which would be: Hide, Stealth, Remove Trap, Lockpicking, Cartography, Magery, Wrestling. The idea with this one is you can open and loot chests without ever revealing yourself. You could also perform full treasure hunts w/ aid of your bard as stated in the OP
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

Ok right on thanks for the help guys.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You need detect hidden for remove trap though...
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Yeah, you'd need to dump wrestle for detect.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Thanks for your helpful post johncenas!
Catskills 97-99

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

johncenas wrote:Treasure hunter is nice, interesting game. It is available on "www.myplaycity.com" for free. It contain hunting skill. It contain nice graphics as well as nice sound.
Someone seriously remove/ban this bot and his posts from the forums...

Return to “New Player Help”