Important suggestion.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Joshua Lee

Important suggestion.

Post by Joshua Lee »

Not to say everyone elses suggestions are not important. But I truly think this one is. There are far to many pks on the shard which is totally fine, nothing wrong with that it brings a lot of realism to the game. But theres only one thing its very hard for newer players (like me) to even make any gold.

Earth elementals and harpy spawns all of that pks make routines and go and check all the dungeon spots. I cant go 10 minutes without running into a pk and barely making it out alive.

So... I suggest you make the shard have more monsters out deep in the woods. It's the only place I really feel safe to just chill and go hunting. Without having to be on edge about when a pk is going to show up and paralyze you.

I mean there are times I will go riding in the woods for so long and not even see one monster. Maybe a rat person every now and then and a troll or something. And ettins and little orc guys running around. You barely ever even see those.

The woods are so empty and have nothing but farm animal and the only "semi"decent monsters area always like a mile apart from each other.

I just think it would be a lot more fun if there were more monsters out in those woods that people can make gold off of. People are macro buying recall scrolls all over brit, people are covering all the dungeon spots ready to kill you.

I remember back then there was always a lot of monsters out in the woods. Here it feels like the only monsters you can find are the spawns that everyone already knows about.
A mirror reflecting a mirror that shines through a prism of paradoxes after shocking breakthroughs that elevate to a higher level of consciousness that radiates the soul energy being burned with passion.

Joshua Lee

Re: Important suggestion.

Post by Joshua Lee »

And that's not the way it was, the way it was had monsters everywhere and the deeper you go in the woods the more often you would see more monsters. I remember there being so many ogres, harpies, trolls, lizardmen and ratman, trolls, ettins, deep in the woods. In fact there was always at least 2 monsters on every screen just about.

I have been searching for good monsters out in the woods (which the woods take up most of the game) and cant find anything much really.

I mean I don't know if it will make the world save time longer or something or lag a little more who cares. It would be nice to hunt monsters and make good gold without having to worry about pks and even pk wannabees hounding your ass every other minute.
A mirror reflecting a mirror that shines through a prism of paradoxes after shocking breakthroughs that elevate to a higher level of consciousness that radiates the soul energy being burned with passion.

Red

Post by Red »

It's probably like that to promote player interaction. We don't have 10,000 people playing the server here.

I would suggest that you join a guild and hunt with them for safety in numbers. They might even be able to teach you how to defend yourself better. It isn't just your character you are developing, but your personal skill at the game as well.

If there is a solution to a problem that a player can achieve, then it's probably best not to code around it.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is one issue that we have been discussing amongst the staff for some time. Right now we are not too terribly happy with the way that spawns are being handled all over the world, and have been discussing a possible solution. As of right now, we have a good deal of information that explains not only what spawned in a given area, but we have general descriptions for how it was spawned, and the speed at which it spawned. Based on that information, we have been discussing a possible rewrite of the spawning mechanisms from the ground up. Of course, a rewrite that on that scale will take time and effort to design, and in the end, it may not be the correct solution.

Overall, more than anything, I wanted to let you know that this was something that has been discussed by the staff, and is something we plan on looking into as part of a larger discussion and possible rewrite of monster AI and spawns.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

vibeke
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by vibeke »

there are ALOT of monster spawns in the forrest as i see it.

Forrest around Wrong dungeon, huge area. Air ele, water ele, orcs, ratmen.

Yew also has alot of spawns. Air ele, water ele, orcs, ratmen.

Joshua Lee

Post by Joshua Lee »

Red wrote:It's probably like that to promote player interaction. We don't have 10,000 people playing the server here.

I would suggest that you join a guild and hunt with them for safety in numbers. They might even be able to teach you how to defend yourself better. It isn't just your character you are developing, but your personal skill at the game as well.

If there is a solution to a problem that a player can achieve, then it's probably best not to code around it.
No that is not it at all. The problem is just simply there are not as many places to fight for monsters and make semi-decent gold without being attacked. Yes I know it is about skill that is why I usually never get pk'ed when I am out hunting. But I shouldn't have to deal with it everytime.

I mean i hear what your saying bro, but wake up and smell the coffee. There is like a new wave of young kids that come and play this game that never played it before. They don't look at the game like it was they look at it like a pvp deathmatch rpg. And they act like it also. This is the generation of "owning" people.

And you want to hear something? I guarentee you that the real people that played second age back in 1999 will tell you the same exact thing. And people who never played it back then have no idea. I have talked to sooo many people all over uosecondage and they have the same thoughts as me. I know how to play the game i know how to defend myself. But you shouldn't have to all the time. Man back in the day pks were actually hunted. Because people knew how the REALLY play uo. There were still pks dnt get me wrong. But the most of the stayed about bucs or graveyards and what have you. You could goto dungeons for a fair ammount of time before even seeing a red.

But the problem is the shard is at a point where there isnt a small group of people but there isnt a large group of people. Its somewhere in the middle and more and more with how easy it is to get high skills people jump on the bandwagon, learn magery, then go out and kill the first new player they see.

Please sir don't tell me about the mechanics of ultima online you'd be preachin to a wall. The only reason I am saying all this is to back up a possible solution to fix the problem. I mean I love this shard (even though, and many agree with me, that it is mostly full of assholes) but it just requires a balance that cannot be acheived at this point in time. I mean I would never expect it to be completly like the experience back then. But at least should have some things similiar.

Bottom line is just think outside the box on this one. The only reason you tell me to learn how to defend myself and to hunt in groups is because you are probably a mage as well. For all I know you could be a pk also. So it don't matter what you say really. A lot of immature little kids play this game and think it's just all pvp. But we all know this is not just a pvp server , and that is obvious from all the events. I mean over the years more and more people play online games and it has gotten worse. I could see over time how people get comfortable with the internet and learn to be an asshole with fear of reprecussions.

Which of course you could say was always the deal. But sometimes I tend to think not as bad. But in time if things stay the same the shard will be overrun with pks. And no new players wil come or want to stay. Or the ones that do stay will have the mindset of being a pk and joining the club. So if you got no new players that want to stay ( i have met my fair share ) then the shard will just start to stop gaining as many people and it will be 100% pvp pk shard.

Which, my friend, is not the "way it was".

Joshua Lee

Post by Joshua Lee »

Kaivan wrote:This is one issue that we have been discussing amongst the staff for some time. Right now we are not too terribly happy with the way that spawns are being handled all over the world, and have been discussing a possible solution. As of right now, we have a good deal of information that explains not only what spawned in a given area, but we have general descriptions for how it was spawned, and the speed at which it spawned. Based on that information, we have been discussing a possible rewrite of the spawning mechanisms from the ground up. Of course, a rewrite that on that scale will take time and effort to design, and in the end, it may not be the correct solution.

Overall, more than anything, I wanted to let you know that this was something that has been discussed by the staff, and is something we plan on looking into as part of a larger discussion and possible rewrite of monster AI and spawns.
Thanks Kaivan. That's satisfactory enough for me bro.

platy

Post by platy »

only spawns i remember being instant were the lich lord spawn in deceit and one other lich spawn which isn't in a dugneon..
btw there ARE many spawns outside of dungeons.. so called "ruin spawns" which can be very profitable for new players..
ALSO there's numerous ways aruond PK's: take the earth ele spawn in shame for example.. the enterance can be seen from two or three corners which are FAR from the entrance.. camp those spots so you can see who comes in: and recall out asap if you see a red

Red

Post by Red »

Joshua Lee wrote:Please sir don't tell me about the mechanics of ultima online you'd be preachin to a wall(of text).
Nevermind.

PS: Magic resist skill lessens the damage you take from spells.

Ezp
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Ezp »

Hello Joshua, thanks for your suggestions. Heres a link to a nice little world spawning tool http://uosecondage.com/misc/uosmu.zip
Also http://uosecondage.com/misc/spawnmap.jpg some good info.
Although the world spawns aren't all that accurate atm as I would like. We are planning to revamp our entire spawning system to more like OSI's was. Here's some info on that http://www.tamingarchive.com/faqs/spawnguide.php
We're not going to allow spawn blocking to be on UOSA. We have 2 ways of fixing it and we're not sure yet which route to go. This new spawning system is a very huge task to create and will decrease server usage by a large amount. Currently we have say 1000 xmlspawners all with their own timers "timers eat memory up". The new system will create one or a few timer(s) for everything. Still not sure how we're going about this its still in the works. In the mean time I have spawned all of those areas on the spawn map tool. So they shouldn't be dead, also its got region spawners in some as well which was setup by Derrick. Until we get the new system in we're stuck with what we have as of right now. I do hope I have helped. If you have any questions plz reply, thanks.

Joshua Lee

Post by Joshua Lee »

No you guys helped a lot actually. I'm glad that you are concerned and do care. I guess you could say I speak for all the new players. So it's good to know that we have admins that are self-aware what is going on. Thead ended.

Red

Post by Red »

77 15 S 10 11 E