automated newb quests @ Britain

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

automated newb quests @ Britain

Post by Quin the Wretch »

How about some automated newb quests around/in Britain like the Shemps sword quest? Something easy to script and easy to complete. I think it would add a little color and immersion for new and vet players alike.

Heres an idea:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Sewer Rat

Quest starts at The Blue Boar in Britain

Barkeep and waitresses will occasionally complain about rats in the pantry.
Saying "rat" or "rats" to the barkeep will initiate quest.
Barkeep explains that for some time now The Blue Boar has been plagued by rats. He suspects that their proximity to the sewers has something to do with it. He requests the players aid.
Saying "yes" advances the quest.
Barkeep explains he will pay a bounty of 10 gold per sewer rat killed.
A counter is set 0/50 sewer rats killed
returning to the barkeep with 50/50 pays 500 gold and advances quest.
Barkeep explains that your actions have angered the Rat king and he will surely take his revenge on them. He again asks for help.
saying "yes" advances the quest
The rat king is just a renamed rat man that spawns in that lever area in the sewers
killing the rat king advances the quest
returning to the barkeep and saying either "killed" "rat" "dead" or "king" triggers his final dialogue.
the barkeep thanks the player but explains that business has been bad lately and instead of a gold reward he must only offer a ticket for a free drink at the Blue Boar. The ticket is a completion keepsake only and doesnt actually work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your own ideas
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: automated newb quests @ Britain

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think more quests newb or otherwise especially original ones are a great idea and really how UO was intended to be played.
I also think replicating the era is taking up the majority of the work load.
I mean people have black sandals to discuss :lol: why would they want newbie quests :wink: *sarcasm*
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Thing is, people on this shard are all about era accuracy.

I have revised your idea to make it possible but also not adding anything to the game which is not era accurate
The Sewer Rat

I will occasionally complain about rats in the pantry.
Saying "rat" or "rats" to the me will initiate quest.
I explain that for some time now The Blue Boar has been plagued by rats. I suspect that their proximity to the sewers has something to do with it. I then request the players aid.
I explain that I will pay a bounty of 10 gold per sewer rat killed.
An email address is set up where the new player sends images sewer rats killed
Returning to me with an email in the account with 50 images of dead sewer rats means I pay 500 gold and the newb advances quest.
I explain that their actions have angered the Rat king and he will surely take his revenge on them. I again ask for help.
The rat king is just a rat man in the forest, or anywhere else.
returning to me after sending an image of the dead rat king and saying either "killed" "rat" "dead" or "king" triggers my final dialogue.
I then thank the player but explain that business has been bad lately and instead of a gold reward he must only offer a ticket for a free drink at the Blue Boar. The ticket is a completion keepsake only and doesnt actually work, in fact it is just a renamed book which anyone can make.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Define Era Accuracy....
does that mean doing nothing that OSI had not done?
or does it mean mechanics of the game more so then the cosmetics or shard specific events and quests?

Drink tickets weren't on OSI!!!!!

Yeah but a bunch of suits were and we dont want that right?

We have necro regs here for crying out loud and a bunch of trammel that is going nowhere but up for bids.

Game mechanics I think is more essential then pixels.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Necro regs are era accurate.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

Mens Rea wrote:Thing is, people on this shard are all about era accuracy.

I have revised your idea to make it possible but also not adding anything to the game which is not era accurate
Im with you on Era Accuracy otherwise I wouldnt be here. I like your take on the quest, have done similar things in the past, and plan on doing more in the future. Some of my funnest experiences have been at player run events.

But I think Archaics point is what I was driving at. I believe its possible to retain an era accurate atmosphere with small little "easter egg" type quests hidden here and there. Especially at the newb level. There are automated CTF and tourney events going on now for vets. Why not have some lowbie ones hidden here and there? Dont know if anyones noticed but average online count seems UP. Think back to when we first played. There was that first rush of adrenaline when you saw the ettin moving through the trees. Or came across that gypsy camp, and wondered what treasures might be hidden in that chest you couldnt open. Before UOA or Automap, when the world was large and mysterious. I bet some of these new people might get that same rush at the hint of peril, and reward. Remember the sewers are outside of guards. Alternately all newcomers can be directed to the wiki and the macro-doldrums and miss out on the little things that keep the old timers coming back.

I also think the Admin like creating that kind of stuff every so often.

One word: atmosphere.

Regardless, this shard is worlds ahead of any other T2A or similar emulator Ive seen.
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Quin the Wretch wrote:How about some automated newb quests around/in Britain like the Shemps sword quest? Something easy to script and easy to complete. I think it would add a little color and immersion for new and vet players alike.

Heres an idea:
The Sewer Rat

Barkeep and waitresses will occasionally complain about rats in the pantry.
Saying "rat" or "rats" to the barkeep will initiate quest.
Barkeep explains that for some time now The Blue Boar has been plagued by rats. He suspects that their proximity to the sewers has something to do with it. He requests the players aid.
Barkeep explains he will pay a bounty of 10 gold per sewer rat killed.
A counter is set 0/50 sewer rats killed
returning to the barkeep with 50/50 pays 500 gold and advances quest.
Barkeep explains that your actions have angered the Rat king and he will surely take his revenge on them. He again asks for help.
The rat king is just a renamed rat man that spawns in that lever area in the sewers
returning to the barkeep and saying either "killed" "rat" "dead" or "king" triggers his final dialogue.
the barkeep thanks the player but explains that business has been bad lately and instead of a gold reward he must only offer a ticket for a free drink at the Blue Boar. The ticket is a completion keepsake only and doesnt actually work.

Post your own ideas
I endorse this good idea as-is. Nothing inaccurate here that I can see.

Also, Quin if you wander around you'll find I think 5 current quests in brit along similar lines. Another would be great tho.

mungrin

Post by mungrin »

I remember one of the most wanted thing in UO back in the OSI days were more quests and OSI always said they were working on it but never came through.If you guys want to be era accurate then how about bringing in some Seers?

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

We may not have seers by title but the GM's do tons of events that would have been handled by seer's on OSI.