Couple New Player Questions

Moderator: Support Moderators

Arthur

Couple New Player Questions

Post by Arthur »

Hey guys,

I had a couple of questions.

First, house security: Much ado seems to be made about keeping your key safe or, if you make your house public, building a table wall. If I just make mine public, I don't have to worry about lockdowns or secure containers, right? What is the issue? Can you keep unlocked items in your house otherwise? Is there no item decay? And if I do keep my house private, and lock down a key in a keyring on the front porch, is that good enough security? Do I have to equip the key everytime to re-lock the door?

Second, players: Where do people hang out? Are there any specific areas beyond the banks where there is any extra player interaction? And are there as many pks here as the forums suggest?

Third, is self-healing time really 15 seconds? Can warriors pvp here at all??

Thanks for your help and thanks for the shard. It's been really fun getting back into this.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Couple New Player Questions

Post by Mikel123 »

Do not try to make your key safe. The only safe way to use a key is to put it on a key ring and lock it down outside your house by elevating it's z-axis (I think it's 17 or 18 tiles high). There is no way to keep it safe in your pack, unless you have a rare newbied key. If a keyring is locked down on your front steps (elevated), you never need to remove it. Just be sure to re-lock after you open the door.

Tables are really the best option, especially for a house bigger than 7x7. I have a post about a macro I use to go through my table wall safely. You could also use a macro for your keyring too, but I find it's easiest to hover your cursor over your table wall to ensure it's still locked down (locked tables don't highlight; unlocked ones do).

Yes, self-healing time is 15 seconds (18 for poison). Warriors are good at PvP from a defensive standpoint, but you do need to be supplied with ample potions. Offensively, they're not great. I would say 80% of fights with a mage and a prepared warrior end up with the mage running offscreen. 10% of the time, the warrior runs offscreen first. 3% of the time, the mage gets a quick kill. 7% of the time, the warrior tracks down the mage and successfully kills him (usually with purple potions and getting lucky with a couple hits in a row as the mage tries to recall).

There are a lot of PKs. If you are prepared, the solo PKs and even the dual PKs aren't too much trouble. 3+ and you can find yourself in trouble even if you're prepared, but that's a very rare instance these days.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Regarding house security, Mikel pretty much nailed it. I would still suggest having secures (which is basically an extension of your bank box, but accesible to friends/coowners of the house), and the more security the better. To lock down a key check out this post I made a couple of days ago: viewtopic.php?p=239260#p239260.

You need to dbl click the key to unlock the door, but remember to always lock back up behind you. Coupling this with a table barrier is the best form of house security.

As for where to find other players outside of town, DG town is pretty active, and you might also want to try the Yew bank/moongate area. Other than that, I'd suggest you do not try to make friends at Brit graveyard or any dungeon.

Yes there are many PK's in this shard, most are not too good as Mikel points out, and a small amount of preparation will be enough for you to get away.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Thanks for the answers guys.

Just to clarify: What is the downside, other than letting other players get in, to just leaving my house public and not worrying about unlocking/relocking or table macros? Are there any benefits? Secures are already safe, and items still decay here, right?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Normal items do not decay in houses. Newbied items do, including house deeds and body parts, so do not leave this stuff laying around. You can leave your house public, but you run the risk of someone rushing in and killing you while inside. Also, secure containers can hold up to 400 stones, which will get used up pretty quickly as you progress.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Great, Thanks!

Return to “New Player Help”