GM hally hits (without anat) hit too hard

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: GM hally hits (without anat) hit too hard

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Faust wrote:There is no indication that mini heal ever changed from the exact OSI scripts that we have from mid-late '98 Matron.

We have solid evidence that the spell had the potential for up to 12 points to be healed without a doubt. Also, there is an Ultima Online google group mentioning a 14 point heal. However, there is no concrete evidence to pin point what the exact formula was/is for the given time period here. What should be done in this case? Should we take the original formula that OSI used that produces some of the same values that are known to be accurate or make up a random formula out of the blue that utilizes these same values? The logical answer, until proven otherwise, is obvious in my opinion.

Matron your ignorance on the combat timer is astounding and will not be discussed with me until you educate yourself better on the matter.
I didn't mention anything about mini-healing. Please re-read the conversation. I only questioned the accuracy of the current halberd refresh mechanic.

Faust

Post by Faust »

MatronDeWinter wrote: I didn't mention anything about mini-healing. Please re-read the conversation. I only questioned the accuracy of the current halberd refresh mechanic.
Your first half of the comment was directed straight at mini-heal...
MatronDeWinter wrote:That's from the demo right? If you claim that as accurate, show me the code in there for hally cycling.
The second half redirected that discussion to the combat swing timer surrounding the refresh tactic for weapons. The 'swing refresh' is based on Derrick's modification/interpretation to the original swing timer and only he could answer that question since he is the only one that knows what changes were made to it. We originally went with my modified version of the original timer that just utilized insta hit during the very first test round. However, the issues surrounding the explosion, ebolt, hally combo became apparent immediately from the start. There is no way for this combo to exist without the ability to refresh a hally due to the equip delay that we know is a hundred percent accurate.

Still waiting for someone to provide a solid explanation on how the tactic can take place without a 'weapon refresh' when your delay gets reset back to the beginning of the delay everytime it's equipped.
Last edited by Faust on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

For the record, and I'm grunching hardcore here, I've been pvping with 7x hally mage using Anatomy over Eval.

I've been doing quite well and pulled off some incredibly hard hally whacks...usually taking 3/4 life.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Faust wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote: I didn't mention anything about mini-healing. Please re-read the conversation. I only questioned the accuracy of the current halberd refresh mechanic.
Your first half of the comment was directed straight at mini-heal...
MatronDeWinter wrote:That's from the demo right? If you claim that as accurate, show me the code in there for hally cycling.
The second half redirected that discussion to the combat swing timer surrounding the refresh tactic for weapons. The 'swing refresh' is based on Derrick's modification/interpretation to the original swing timer and only he could answer that question since he is the only one that knows what changes were made to it. We originally went with my modified version of the original timer that just utilized insta hit during the very first test round. However, the issues surrounding the explosion, ebolt, hally combo became apparent immediately from the start. There is no way for this combo to exist without the ability to refresh a hally due to the equip delay that we know is a hundred percent accurate.

Still waiting for someone to provide a solid explanation on how the tactic can take place without a 'weapon refresh' when your delay gets reset back to the beginning of the delay everytime it's equipped.
I am not talking about the equip delay. If it takes ~3 seconds here unarmed to prime your halberd, a little equip delay or whatever and it's good to hit, you can obviously explode-eb-hally. If the delay was 20 seconds, once your weapon is primed you can explode-eb-hally just the same. I don't agree with the ability to hally joust here. Nobody in t2a was swinging their hally every 2 seconds while holding a finishing spell etc. I only used the mini-heal demo reference to point out that if you consider the demo's code to be absolute if there is a lack of futuritive patch notes, then you could also use that argument for anything else.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I still have no clue what you are even trying to suggest here Matron. There are two options available with the swing timer modification.

1. The original that was modified purely based on implementing insta hit. IE: exp, eb, hally combos were impossible.
2. A version similar to what Derrick modified to implement the well known insta hit refresh exploit.

Please tell me what one of these options you are asking for first.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I am not talking about the equip delay. If it takes ~3 seconds here unarmed to prime your halberd, a little equip delay or whatever and it's good to hit, you can obviously explode-eb-hally. If the delay was 20 seconds, once your weapon is primed you can explode-eb-hally just the same. I don't agree with the ability to hally joust here. Nobody in t2a was swinging their hally every 2 seconds while holding a finishing spell etc. I only used the mini-heal demo reference to point out that if you consider the demo's code to be absolute if there is a lack of futuritive patch notes, then you could also use that argument for anything else.
Hally jousting does suck, fighting people who do this the WHOLE FIGHT is tedious and seriously....I wish people would stop fighting like a damn dexer.

The most fun part of the fight is the beginning, then after that its hally spam with preping e bolt and harm.

Hardly like 1999. Another reason I prefer field pvp, hally jousters get their asses kicked without an enclosed area to dexer people to death with the hally spam.

I find it funny how people think enclosed areas means less running and more skill, wrong......it just means the opponent can dodge the retarded spamming of the hally. lol.

Slade

Post by Slade »

DrFaustus wrote:For the record, and I'm grunching hardcore here, I've been pvping with 7x hally mage using Anatomy over Eval.

I've been doing quite well and pulled off some incredibly hard hally whacks...usually taking 3/4 life.
/facepalm

Jester

Post by Jester »

DrFaustus wrote:For the record, and I'm grunching hardcore here, I've been pvping with 7x hally mage using Anatomy over Eval.

Isn't it better to drop Wrestling instead of Eval? Considering you are taking Anatomy to gain damage done, but you're losing out on a bunch of damage since you don't have Eval Int.
I know when you don't have your Halberd equipped you will be giving your opponent a free hit, but perhaps you can figure out a playstyle so you won't let that happen :)

Then you'll be laying down the hurt with both Eval Int and Anatomy !

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You probably won't be cycling alot without wrestling except for setting up the combo so going hard like that I would put stats at
95/50/80 and do a precast/set up the combo, hally, release, switch to katana or something unless they run then go for another round of that.

Without wrestling and including anatomy you definately want to up your stamina I think, otherwise you are missing out on alot of damage waiting for the opputune moment to cast. This could kill you rather quickly if you get put on the defensive like that. In other words if you switched wrestling for anatomy plan on using your weapon a heck of alot more with a just cause in doing so.

I think it would fare better on the field then a tournament though because without wrestling having wiggle room is good....but the fun temps are always the field temps in my eyes.

Tank Mages are good for learning the exploits of certain concepts but on the field complimentary templates are superior if you can work with a team or even just one other person and develop battlefield tactics unique to you and your companions based off your character make-up.

For example I wanted to create a Red Noteriety Thief template that operated outside of the NPC Guild that would work well with a Red Thief/Assassin Guild/Gank Squad. Basically your 6X Dexxer with Stealing for a topper (maybe 75 mage and only 25 snooping). You'd have to take the first hit or at least be targeted first to flag them in order to steal but it's a good lure for an ambush.

If you are lucky you just might get their precious recall rune. Once a guild like that is reknown for being thieves aside of murderers, people would be wary of targeting you right off making it possible to use your red to also hunt with more often (rather then be cowards and ghost everywhere) and would possibly encourage some interaction besides..."Attack!" or "Run!"
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

That is insane

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

grunching?

SoundofGod

Post by SoundofGod »

Panthor the Hated wrote:grunching?
LOL I said the same thing.

Google'd:

"replying to the first post in a forum thread without reading any of its replies by other users. the idea being to give responses which are not influenced by well-known posters."

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Slade wrote:

/facepalm
nice signature

Also the build was rather useless outside of 2v2 or even field pvp...

If I was with another real hally mage I was quite useful because I was literally hitting for 60+ damage which made killing someone really really easy.

1v1 I'm a sitting duck that can heal.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

did you ditch wrestling for healing too?

Might as well make a medi warrior and like I said before do the 95/50/80 stats

Swords
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy
Resist
magery
Meditation

could drop Meditation Anatomy and Tactics to 80 (or juggled however you like-maybe 70/70/90 tactics) for 60 eval and still get roughly the same physical damage as a Tank Mage, and sacrifice a bit of power casting offensively for mana conservation from bandaging.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

No?

Why the hell would I have healing and no wrestling?