Housing Suggestion

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Housing Suggestion

Post by noxmonk »

How did communism get brought into a question of housing? o.O

That's archaicusbrosa level of stupid.

You can find housing sometimes, and yes it blows to see all the empty houses when you realize there are people who don't even play that just login every 7-14 days to refresh their houses and leave it at that, which is nowhere close to era accuracy. We've been down this road before and it leads nowhere, regardless how improbable it is that the majority of people during era had more than one account.(excluding couples, multiple siblings, etc.)

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

noxmonk wrote:How did communism get brought into a question of housing? o.O
Never read any Marx?
A house may be large or small; as long as the neighboring houses are likewise small, it satisfies all social requirement for a residence. But let there arise next to the little house a palace, and the little house shrinks to a hut. The little house now makes it clear that its inmate has no social position at all to maintain, or but a very insignificant one; and however high it may shoot up in the course of civilization, if the neighboring palace rises in equal or even in greater measure, the occupant of the relatively little house will always find himself more uncomfortable, more dissatisfied, more cramped within his four walls.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

First of all, welcome to UOSA, Ferg. It is hands down the best pre-UO:R server around.

Being that it is an emulation of the pre-UO:R era, finding a spot for a house should be a PITA to be era accurate (remember tramel was brought in not only for carebears, it was also to increase the available housing space since fel was already stuffed).

I'm sorry you had a hard time finding a spot, but in the last few days I placed a LB in a kick ass spot on grass, next to a mountain, close to a shrine and a town. You might not find your dream spot open, but there are locations out there to place a large house for sure. Also, try every single position to place a large house. I see people who find a spot and think it's large enough and only try two or three times to place the house and move on. Sometimes you need to spam "use last object" and move the placement around one tile at a time until you can fit it in.

Finnally, yes, there are a lot of PK's in this shard, it is a fact and something we play with, since the risk of dying was also present at every moment during the era. As others have mentioned, take precautions, try to fightback/run (depending on your skill, preparedness and odds in that situation), and be sure to read the following links on how to run and how to equip yourself to survive a PK attempt. Also, if you're so inclined to run, have a recall macro set up. It takes you all of 30 seconds to set it up, and will save you in many situations.

Remember UO is a socially interactive game. Meet people, make friends, hunt in groups, all that makes playing safer and more enjoyable. I also hope your brother gives the shard another shot. The more, the merrier!!

If you should need any additional help or questions answered, feel free to jump on IRC channel #C^V and ask away.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

Malaikat wrote: Never read any Marx?
Yes, I've read Marx. I understand the concept of where it's coming from however the context in which is used is the part that makes it an irrational jump. Proposing communism in such a manner, in a game, which is in large part communistic due to the closed system it naturally creates, makes it an illogical jump from someone asking why people have 15 houses when almost no single person did in era, to everyone having 15 houses of which 13 are empty and just sitting there.

Also, marxism is not communism. Learn your political philosophies. They are quite different in both structure and execution, even if one is based off the other.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

noxmonk wrote: Also, marxism is not communism.
Getting off topic a bit here, but I suppose he entitled it, The Communist Manifesto, to be confusing then? Look, I understand there is a difference, but its largely theory vs. application. Marxism is an ideal and communism is the ideal in practical application. The two are inseparable.

I do agree that it is a silly thing to bring up in the context of this thread though.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

noxmonk wrote:How did communism get brought into a question of housing? o.O
at the very least it would be social engineering and therefore the antithesis to what UO and especially old UO ie: UOSA stands for
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Ferg wrote:It was never this difficult to find a plot for housing in the original UO. This is the reason I am probably going to quit:
Hey, how about you funt right off you nancy little birch???????

Seriously, anyone on this shard would knock you unconsious with a series of blows to the face [myself included] if you started this line of crying on the forums around them.

You didn't play "original UO" and I am going to fight you irl.